Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TimmTurbo

Re: Ferrari SF1000

I wonder if we see that squatting movement in the rear of the car during Testing again at breaking towards Turn 1 in Barcelona. We were discussing a lot about that here last year. It suddenly stopped when Seb had his crash reportedly caused by a rim failure in Testing week 1.

They might just aborted that suspension concept at that time. Maybe because they felt like they could not fix that issue until the start of the 2019 season. We might see that again this year working ?

F1NAC

Gilles27Kimi7 wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 11:41
Holm86 wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 10:28
jumpingfish wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 10:25

I think it's legal, many people noticed shrinked SF1000 body, idk, it's from here

https://www.formulapassion.it/manifesto ... 80200.html
Didn't mean if it was legal :-)
Just meant how sure can we be that this is correlating with the real cars
I chatted with the author today, and joked about stealing the CAD files. It's a simulation, like a 3D Drawing. Accurate at least in general shape.
Probably they did something like what would you do in Solidworks for example.. take top, side and front view and create multiple profile along longitudinal axis and create loft

Brake Horse Power

TimmTurbo wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 20:52
Brake Horse Power wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 20:42
Big improvements on the front wheel rim/wheel hub.
Can you specify please ?
After the blown wheel hubs were banned you had these bulky rims/hubs. Mercedes was I tought the first to make it a lot slimmer, probably different philosophy as well as how to dissipate heat from the brakes, tires and how the air flows trough the rim. This combined with overall aero philosofy. Red bull had this modification I think with THE Austria update or just before. Seems ground to gain there and now Ferrari did it

Emag

After looking at the RedBull, I have to say, so far Ferrari looks like it has worked the hardest over the winter. We have to wait for Mercedes to see what they have done sure, but for the moment, the amount of space that Ferrari has opened up through packaging is impressive. I really don't know what was RedBull's weakness last year because they have reworked the front-end of the car quite a bit for this season. I am assuming that's where they think the car was mostly lacking in 2019. Maybe they expect bigger gains from Honda too so RedBull also has that margin for improvement. Really can't wait for Australia now.

wrcsti

Morteza wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:33

Via @NicolasF1i
Copy my homework, just make it look different

LM10

wrcsti wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 19:43
Morteza wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 12:33

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQkZnvfWsAAbEj0.jpg

Via @NicolasF1i
Copy my homework, just make it look different
Well, RBR copied Ferrari's high sidepod homework in 2018 and now Ferrari has done the same with sidepod inlet shape. :)

Though, this shape from RBR has already been copied by quite a lot of teams last season. Look at the MCL34, RS19, Racing Point or Alfa Romeo for example. Ferrari has gone the same route now, but still adding some individual touch.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:After looking at the RedBull, I have to say, so far Ferrari looks like it has worked the hardest over the winter. We have to wait for Mercedes to see what they have done sure, but for the moment, the amount of space that Ferrari has opened up through packaging is impressive. I really don't know what was RedBull's weakness last year because they have reworked the front-end of the car quite a bit for this season. I am assuming that's where they think the car was mostly lacking in 2019. Maybe they expect bigger gains from Honda too so RedBull also has that margin for improvement. Really can't wait for Australia now.
I have a very similar impression... That comparing the SF1000 and the RB16... The Ferrari seems to have a lot more worked done during winter... Lap Times will tell be the judges, but based only on what we have seeing so far from the launches, the Ferrari seems to have worked harder over the weekend and with a car that was “in the mix” in 2019, it will make 2020 a very interesting year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NtsParadize

blowndiffusor wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 09:56
Something I noticed during the launch event… Is there some duct at the underside of the halo?

https://i.imgur.com/8QoVuk0.jpg
It's a camera

foxmulder_ms

I think there is some illusion going on at the back. It looks very tight indeed but I think it may be because they increased the ride height at the back so there is more space to undercut. Basically like redbull but with lower floor so the space between floor and engine block has more space.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

ThePapayaJaguar

The Red Bull looks massively complex, especially around the bargeboard and sidepod area. This could be a good thing or bad thing (harder to pinpoint a problem if one occurs) as they want to be competitive out of the box. I'm expecting a new FW from Ferrari went testing comes. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't though as it seems the SF90's FW works (and to save resources for 2021). Ferrari have done a great job with packaging, however. That pic someone posted comparing the side view of the SF1000 and the SF90 really showed how tight they've gotten with the packaging. Waiting on McLaren and Mercedes to see what they've come up with!

marmer

much more development to the rear view mirrors this year

Motörhead

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 23:21
The Red Bull looks massively complex, especially around the bargeboard and sidepod area. This could be a good thing or bad thing (harder to pinpoint a problem if one occurs) as they want to be competitive out of the box. I'm expecting a new FW from Ferrari went testing comes. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't though as it seems the SF90's FW works (and to save resources for 2021). Ferrari have done a great job with packaging, however. That pic someone posted comparing the side view of the SF1000 and the SF90 really showed how tight they've gotten with the packaging. Waiting on McLaren and Mercedes to see what they've come up with!
Bargeboard area is a good thing. We’ve seen the wheelbase getting bigger over the last few years, on all the cars, to create more space in between the front wheels and the side pod. This is the area where you get the most ’bang for your buck’ as far as performance goes as well as the Diffuser. But, whatever you see in the top teams now, you can almost guarantee that came race one, the packaging will be even tighter. Everything you see from launch to Australia would have changed

pentaquark

One thing I find interesting is the design of the lower part of the sidepod entry duct. It seems they went back to the downward shape of the same part from the SF70.
Mod edit to make the image link work.

JasonF1

It always amazes me how small the inlet of the SF71H was.

pentaquark wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 11:15
One thing I find interesting is the design of the lower part of the sidepod entry duct. It seems they went back to the downward shape of the same part from the SF70.
https://ibb.co/FKFY1HR
Mod edit to make the image link work.
https://i.ibb.co/nbF1yPx/SIDEPODENTRY.jpg