Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
izzy

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 05:06
300 is the possible bore surface temperature from @mudflap, also the boiling point of oil, and then i was taking coolant temperature as pure water boiling point at 6 bar pressure being 160, so a gradient across the bore structure of 140. that's a great paper you linked, we can see lots of scope for using AM to enhance the cooling, with more smaller ways and perhaps no empty galleries any more but all foam or lattice type structures, much more compact
Road car manufacturers have been using AM to make sand cores for casting. Likley in f1 too.

Not satisfied with that method?
[/quote]
Yes i remember you saying, it cool but would Mattia be satisfied? in that paper you linked, for just one example, they talk about a 3mm bridge between the cylinders, that with AM they can make porous, have cooling channels in or whatever. They can make it much wider than 3mm if they want, with being able to flow coolant through it

Tommy Cookers

where does the 160 deg coolant temperature come from ?

I thought rules on the coolant system didn't allow this sort of temperature

PlatinumZealot

izzy wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 12:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 05:06
300 is the possible bore surface temperature from @mudflap, also the boiling point of oil, and then i was taking coolant temperature as pure water boiling point at 6 bar pressure being 160, so a gradient across the bore structure of 140. that's a great paper you linked, we can see lots of scope for using AM to enhance the cooling, with more smaller ways and perhaps no empty galleries any more but all foam or lattice type structures, much more compact
Road car manufacturers have been using AM to make sand cores for casting. Likley in f1 too.

Not satisfied with that method?
Yes i remember you saying, it cool but would Mattia be satisfied? in that paper you linked, for just one example, they talk about a 3mm bridge between the cylinders, that with AM they can make porous, have cooling channels in or whatever. They can make it much wider than 3mm if they want, with being able to flow coolant through it
[/quote]

The engineers would have weighed up the pros and cons. I certainly know that 3D printing metal takes really long, and one has to consider the material proprties, detailand surface finisb that Ferrari's current 3D printing capabilities can achieve. The benefits of going to a more contorted design beyond what is presently done by sand casting may not be worth it maybe that detail is very high already.

I only have another video of factory engine 3d printing. This one is for the SF90. They do casting cores and some external engine parts. But otherwise very traditional. I also notice the cylinder sleeve is Iron inserts.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

izzy

Tommy Cookers wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 13:17
where does the 160 deg coolant temperature come from ?

I thought rules on the coolant system didn't allow this sort of temperature
yes now you make me look article 7.4 says there has to be a pressure relief valve at 3.75 bar, which is 141C with pure water

izzy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:57
The engineers would have weighed up the pros and cons. I certainly know that 3D printing metal takes really long, and one has to consider the material proprties, detailand surface finisb that Ferrari's current 3D printing capabilities can achieve. The benefits of going to a more contorted design beyond what is presently done by sand casting may not be worth it maybe that detail is very high already.

I only have another video of factory engine 3d printing. This one is for the SF90. They do casting cores and some external engine parts. But otherwise very traditional. I also notice the cylinder sleeve is Iron inserts.

https://youtu.be/0aa3NSemAf4
iron inserts? why, do you suppose? Temperature? Anyway very nice video thanks, and with that ominous 'coming to get you' music :D

yes I am only guessing wildly obviously, on the basis that this IS Ferrari who could easily be 2 years ahead of what's in the public domain, with much faster machines and who knows, certainly hybrid, but yes still lots of machining as well

PlatinumZealot

izzy wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 16:12
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:57

https://youtu.be/0aa3NSemAf4
iron inserts? why, do you suppose? Temperature? Anyway very nice video thanks, and with that ominous 'coming to get you' music :D

yes I am only guessing wildly obviously, on the basis that this IS Ferrari who could easily be 2 years ahead of what's in the public domain, with much faster machines and who knows, certainly hybrid, but yes still lots of machining as well
You can see them at 1:53 in the video. Closed deck.
Iron liners maybe because of reliability and ease of reconditioning.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

One way to use 3d printing is in the cooling system. Radiators don't operate at high pressures, so AM may work well in designing complex radiator shapes to save space or improve efficiency.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

I thought radiators ran at 5 Bar?

godlameroso

Zynerji wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 23:58
I mean if they're running at 150c maybe they are to keep water from boiling over, but if they're ~110-120 then they don't need to run such high pressure.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

godlameroso wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 04:39
Zynerji wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 23:58
I mean if they're running at 150c maybe they are to keep water from boiling over, but if they're ~110-120 then they don't need to run such high pressure.
Obviously, but I thought it was discussed that higher water temps with better heat rejecting radiators and 5 bar pressures kept the total water volume down to the minimum and saved lots of weight.

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 22:54
One way to use 3d printing is in the cooling system. Radiators don't operate at high pressures, so AM may work well in designing complex radiator shapes to save space or improve efficiency.
Complex shapes would increase drag and can actually hurt heat transfer at high speeds because of reduced flow and fouling.

Other simpler shapes like twisted tube or corrugated tube.. U dont need 3D printing.

3D printing existed for decades now.. Why all of a sudden it is the answer to all of life's problems? Lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gruntguru

3d printing is a lot different today than it was - even one decade ago.
je suis charlie

PlatinumZealot

gruntguru wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 06:30
I think it is normal development rate compared to other manufacturing technologies. We should expect these applications. Just the standard 3D printed parts that we've been seeing for years (at least what the teams choose to reveal to us). I can't say I'm excited, because it was always there.

McLaren had a good feature in 2017:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rformance/

Another article on how it is used in casting. This article was posted on this website maybe more than ten years ago?

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b48e/6 ... 218694.pdf
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sierra117

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:05
gruntguru wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 06:30
I think it is normal development rate compared to other manufacturing technologies. We should expect these applications. Just the standard 3D printed parts that we've been seeing for years (at least what the teams choose to reveal to us). I can't say I'm excited, because it was always there.

McLaren had a good feature in 2017:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rformance/

Another article on how it is used in casting. This article was posted on this website maybe more than ten years ago?

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b48e/6 ... 218694.pdf
It's probably because the general idea of 3d printing seems to be associated with something new and people aren't aware that it's been around for decades.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Zynerji

I saw a video of William's factory from like 2002, and they called theirs a "rapid prototyping machine".