McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mansell89

Re: McLaren MCL35

Is it me or does the part of the nose that “fattens” as you look up towards the Halo have some interesting surface indentation that I didn’t recognise in the 2019 car?

Lucky

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:45
wow that looks conservative and fat :|
No

the EDGE

McLaren certainly seem to be choosing their own path again this year.

A return to their previous nose design was not expected, and they have stuck with the high pick-up front suspension. Interesting to see if the PU suspension will be present at testing

And what is the to be said about the side-pods... when I come out of shock i will let you know, but they sure seem slim at the rear

Finally, still no added wings, channels or s-duct or other openings to work the air over surfaces... not sure if that's good or not!

PhillipM

Emag wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:51
I think they have better correlation this time though. Do you know if they got promising results in cfd for this concept?
Well, it should work better with the rear suspension they have now than it did last time, but it remains to be seen. There's a lot of parts around the rear of the floor and diffuser to come yet anyway.

f1rules

f1rules

Sevach

"Shoulders" on the front bulkhead, it's been a while.

BrunoH

car looks good. From the side it does have a slight different concept.. like higher up radiators and bigger cut under...

so far so good.

AMG.Tzan

thestig84 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:52
Sevach wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:49
cplchanb wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:39
So teams are converging on the merc style slim nose...
Kinda crazy, the nose rules have been in place basically since 2015, everyone went with as wide as possible with an added thumb for legality reasons, except Mercedes.

Now, the last season with these rules... a bunch of teams go and start thinking that maybe the team that's been winning all these years had it right in the first place.
The MCL34 did have it last year also!
It has to do with the use of the cape underneath i believe!

Mercedes used the cape in mid 2017 for the first time i think and they still use it which means it works! Same goes for Ferrari and now Red Bull!

So in order to use the cape it is better to have a slim nose like Mercedes...also you can place the cape a bit further up the nose it seems which should mean that more air goes underneath which is what aero guys need these days!!

Am i right experts in here?? :)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Mamba

Sevach wrote:
Kinda crazy, the nose rules have been in place basically since 2015, everyone went with as wide as possible with an added thumb for legality reasons, except Mercedes.

Now, the last season with these rules... a bunch of teams go and start thinking that maybe the team that's been winning all these years had it right in the first place.
I wouldn't say "had it right". Remember Toro Ros-, err Alpha Tauri ran an proper Merc nose in 2017, only to abandon it the following year. That is clearly not as much of an advantage as people seem to think, otherwise all the teams would have long copied it. Maybe the thinner nose just suits what they want to do aerodynamically this season? That sudden convergence is interesting...

Xero

MCL34 vs MCL35

Ignoring the launch front wing and bargeboards which were vastly different from launch, we can see a few general differences;
- Nose slightly thinner, with front nostrils removed while maintaining a similar shape.
- Bottom front suspension arms appear to be mounted slightly higher to allow better flow to bargeboards.
- Sidepod intakes are much smaller and tighter than before.
- Side impact structure raised, allowing more aggressive undercut.
- Engine intake seems a touch smaller, but has a new central intake slightly behind drivers head, obscured here by the halo.
- Rear wing larger, although likely a different target spec to 2019.
Last edited by Xero on 13 Feb 2020, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Sanchit f1fan

I guess This Cape Cocept is Not Easy To Understand for a smaller Teams so I guess that's why Not many Teams Are Copying It .

kfrantzios

Top View

Xero

thestig84 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:52
Sevach wrote:
cplchanb wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 15:39
So teams are converging on the merc style slim nose...

The MCL34 did have it last year also!
As did the MCL33 from Spain onwards.

RonDennis

That's McLaren new way of working. Start simple and get it right, upgrade it afterwards. I think it looks way more sophisticated than last years launch car.