McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ALO_Power

Re: McLaren MCL35

Xero wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:04
https://i.imgur.com/S5H18RP.jpg

MCL34 vs MCL35

Ignoring the launch front wing and bardgeboards which were vastly different from launch, we can see a few general differences;
- Nose slightly thinner, with front nostrils removed while maintaining a similar shape.
- Bottom front suspension arms appear to be mounted slightly higher to allow better flow to bargeboards.
- Sidepod intakes are much smaller and tighter than before.
- Side impact structure raised, allowing more aggressive undercut.
- Engine intake seems a touch smaller, but has a new central intake slightly behind drivers head, obscured here by the halo.
- Rear wing larger, although likely a different target spec to 2019.
The nose tip on this picture is completely different than the nose tip we saw on the car on the launch and other pictures :wtf:

daren_p

First impression, a bit underwhelmed. Does not look like a contender to mix with the top three. A bit slimmer in the mid section & smaller sidepod intakes but a way to go to catch RB & Ferrari. I would assume the renders will be lacking many of the current pieces (as they were last year), if not will be quite disappointed, as things such as the bardge boards basically look like last years.

rccrdc

I think there will be some big changes in the bargeboards and floor since they decided not to show the new ones 8)

RonDennis

daren_p wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:12
First impression, a bit underwhelmed. Does not look like a contender to mix with the top three. A bit slimmer in the mid section & smaller sidepod intakes but a way to go to catch RB & Ferrari. I would assume the renders will be lacking many of the current pieces (as they were last year), if not will be quite disappointed, as things such as the bardge boards basically look like last years.
Well, did you actually believe that they would get anywhere close to the top 3? They are getting outspend 5:3, while having a gap of 1.5 to 2 seconds.

f1rules

but the car dont need to be two sizes bigger then the competition because they are being outspend, no doubt bargeboard etc will be upgraded, im looking at the main configuration sidepod size all the way down to the rear and its really not impressive

godlameroso

RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:17
daren_p wrote:
Well, did you actually believe that they would get anywhere close to the top 3? They are getting outspend 5:3, while having a gap of 1.5 to 2 seconds.
Agreed, if they can close the gap to under a second it will be mission accomplished AFIC. To do that they'll need to be able to do a 15.8 in Barcelona. If they accomplish that they should finish the race without getting lapped.
Saishū kōnā

adrianjordan

Let's see what they bring to testing....this is just the launch car afterall. That rear end does look very slim though. Wonder if that's the black in the livery being a bit misleading though....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

daren_p

RonDennis wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:17
daren_p wrote:

No was not expecting them to be on par, just hoping for them to close up the gap some as that was the goal for this season. Judging by the photos (& not being any sort of expert), if anything I would say RB & Ferrari will have actually increased the gap but again, hoping the renders aren't what will actually show up for testing.

rccrdc

f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:20
but the car dont need to be two sizes bigger then the competition because they are being outspend, no doubt bargeboard etc will be upgraded, im looking at the main configuration sidepod size all the way down to the rear and its really not impressive
yeah, not as slim as the Red Bull but we can see a good improvement from MCL34

bosyber

ALO_Power wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:11
Xero wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:04
https://i.imgur.com/S5H18RP.jpg

MCL34 vs MCL35

Ignoring the launch front wing and bardgeboards which were vastly different from launch, we can see a few general differences;
- Nose slightly thinner, with front nostrils removed while maintaining a similar shape.
- Bottom front suspension arms appear to be mounted slightly higher to allow better flow to bargeboards.
- Sidepod intakes are much smaller and tighter than before.
- Side impact structure raised, allowing more aggressive undercut.
- Engine intake seems a touch smaller, but has a new central intake slightly behind drivers head, obscured here by the halo.
- Rear wing larger, although likely a different target spec to 2019.
The nose tip on this picture is completely different than the nose tip we saw on the car on the launch and other pictures :wtf:
Not that much different really (pic just tweeted by will buxton)

LM10

daren_p wrote:
It was never a question wether McLaren would mix with the top three. Even with the top three racing with their 2019 cars, McLaren would not be fast enough to catch them.

To add on that, Andreas Seidl already told that he doesn't expect them to be contenders for race wins before 2023.

RonDennis

Well, it's good to see that all the 'experts' are already sure that the new chassis is a waste.

f1rules

well we havent judged its capabilities, personally i just think its conservative and uninspiring looking, but maybe fat is the new black ahahahahahaha if its fast ill suddenly love it so

_cerber1

I trust the team, and its engineers. The fact that the chassis does not look like the top 3 does not mean at all that it is bad. I look forward to testing.

LM10

Massive improvement in engine cover size. It's much narrower now.