McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL35

LM10 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:27
daren_p wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:12
First impression, a bit underwhelmed. Does not look like a contender to mix with the top three. A bit slimmer in the mid section & smaller sidepod intakes but a way to go to catch RB & Ferrari. I would assume the renders will be lacking many of the current pieces (as they were last year), if not will be quite disappointed, as things such as the bardge boards basically look like last years.
It was never a question wether McLaren would mix with the top three. Even with the top three racing with their 2019 cars, McLaren would not be fast enough to catch them.

To add on that, Andreas Seidl already told that he doesn't expect them to be contenders for race wins before 2023.
The MCL35 would mix it up with the SF71, absolutely. They managed a 17.3 in qualifying last year, and the best Ferrari did a 16.2, the race pace difference was exactly the same, about 1 second. So if the MCL35 is a second faster than the MCL34, the MCL35 would absolutely give the top 3 from last year a hard time.

I don't see it likely that Mercedes improves by a full second, Ferrari has admitted their changes bring between .5 and .8, Red Bull has improved by a similar amount. I see Mercedes as still ahead, but I can see McLaren getting within a second from the top.
Saishū kōnā

daren_p

LM10 wrote:
daren_p wrote:
First impression, a bit underwhelmed. Does not look like a contender to mix with the top three. A bit slimmer in the mid section & smaller sidepod intakes but a way to go to catch RB & Ferrari. I would assume the renders will be lacking many of the current pieces (as they were last year), if not will be quite disappointed, as things such as the bardge boards basically look like last years.
It was never a question wether McLaren would mix with the top three. Even with the top three racing with their 2019 cars, McLaren would not be fast enough to catch them.

To add on that, Andreas Seidl already told that he doesn't expect them to be contenders for race wins before 2023.
Sorry, apparently I shouldn't have said "mix with the top three", as people are taking this to mean I was hoping for them to be on par, this is not what I meant/expected. As said, just hoping for them to close the gap some (ie halving the gap compared to last year would be great result), by mix it, I meant to take advantage if there was a screw up or hold them up slightly, instead of them cruising by. I never thought they would be on par with the top 3.

ThePapayaJaguar

I think there's a little dimple by the drivers number before the cockpit area. There's also a massive intake directly behind the drivers head. Car looks very nice! I expect more bits at testing.

bauc

In general this car is a evolution not a revolution which is to be expected as we are at the last year of the current rule frame. I like the new nose and the new front end as well, and also the overall bodyshape of the car does feel slimmer and more compact. Overall I expect a car that will be more predictable to drive and therefore a car that will suit most of the tracks.

I'm expecting this car to compete for P7-P10 on regular basis and maybe ''lucky'' another podium
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

f1rules

Last edited by f1rules on 13 Feb 2020, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

kfrantzios

Much improved packaging as we can see by the green line. I scaled the photos and copied the shape of Mcl34 to Mcl35

f1rules

i hope they didnt miss the pou trick, i quess that would have to be designed in from the beginning to take full advantage and right now it dont have it, if they dont have tghey should protest it :-)

f1rules

mclaren111

Looks good enough for all the cooling....

f1rules

ollandos

brand new rear suspension ....i think that it was the problem on low speed corners and exit of them ...

i want to see the last sector times on test to compare with last year car ...

1st sector =top speed
2st sector =overall downforce
3st sector =mechanical grip and corner exit traction......

the eyes on this 3

the livery ....i hate orange ..and more this unmuch blue ...i love rocket red mclaren ..and i hope that is last year with this colors .... too much black and blue on livery ...maybe something like mercedes concept with something lines on defferent color is better for orange car ...the black rear wing with blue and not orange simple ...sucks ....

Holm86

bosyber wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:11
Xero wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:04
https://i.imgur.com/S5H18RP.jpg

MCL34 vs MCL35

Ignoring the launch front wing and bardgeboards which were vastly different from launch, we can see a few general differences;
- Nose slightly thinner, with front nostrils removed while maintaining a similar shape.
- Bottom front suspension arms appear to be mounted slightly higher to allow better flow to bargeboards.
- Sidepod intakes are much smaller and tighter than before.
- Side impact structure raised, allowing more aggressive undercut.
- Engine intake seems a touch smaller, but has a new central intake slightly behind drivers head, obscured here by the halo.
- Rear wing larger, although likely a different target spec to 2019.
The nose tip on this picture is completely different than the nose tip we saw on the car on the launch and other pictures :wtf:
Not that much different really (pic just tweeted by will buxton)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqTaKsWAAA ... name=small
Does the launch car have a hole in the nose?? That the pictures doesnt show??

LM10

godlameroso wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:36
LM10 wrote:
daren_p wrote:

The MCL35 would mix it up with the SF71, absolutely. They managed a 17.3 in qualifying last year, and the best Ferrari did a 16.2, the race pace difference was exactly the same, about 1 second. So if the MCL35 is a second faster than the MCL34, the MCL35 would absolutely give the top 3 from last year a hard time.

I don't see it likely that Mercedes improves by a full second, Ferrari has admitted their changes bring between .5 and .8, Red Bull has improved by a similar amount. I see Mercedes as still ahead, but I can see McLaren getting within a second from the top.
You mean the SF90. And yeah, just checked, they absolutely would have mixed it up with it in most races, provided the MCL35 is a second faster. Thought they were clearly more than 1 second behind last season.

f1rules

sidepod shoulder continues long before the ramp starts, they definitly followed their own route
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqOc9uWsAY ... ame=medium

bosyber

Holm86 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:52
bosyber wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:11

The nose tip on this picture is completely different than the nose tip we saw on the car on the launch and other pictures :wtf:
Not that much different really (pic just tweeted by will buxton)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqTaKsWAAA ... name=small
Does the launch car have a hole in the nose?? That the pictures doesnt show??
As far as I can see neither the render nor the on-stage one have a hole in the nose (though shadows make it appear like the latter might), am I wrong?