McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL35

Holm86

bosyber wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:56
Holm86 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:52
bosyber wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:27

Not that much different really (pic just tweeted by will buxton)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQqTaKsWAAA ... name=small
Does the launch car have a hole in the nose?? That the pictures doesnt show??
As far as I can see neither the render nor the on-stage one have a hole in the nose (though shadows make it appear like the latter might), am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong, shadows and light plays lots of tricks :-)

PhillipM

I don't get where people are saying it's fat from, it's slimmer than last years car, okay I guess it's difficult to see in just photo's but there's a huge undercut on the rear of the sidepods. What you're looking at is basically just a thin shelf flared out over the rear suspension with the manifolds, etc, lifted up away from the floor.

bosyber

Holm86 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:58
bosyber wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:56
Holm86 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:52

Does the launch car have a hole in the nose?? That the pictures doesnt show??
As far as I can see neither the render nor the on-stage one have a hole in the nose (though shadows make it appear like the latter might), am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong, shadows and light plays lots of tricks :-)
Let's be glad McLaren aren't chrome any more, those liveries were the worst for that sort of thing!

90feet

PhillipM wrote:
I don't get where people are saying it's fat from, it's slimmer than last years car, okay I guess it's difficult to see in just photo's but there's a huge undercut on the rear of the sidepods. What you're looking at is basically just a thin shelf flared out over the rear suspension with the manifolds, etc, lifted up away from the floor.
The matte paint and terrible horizontal lines in the livery are hiding a lot of the car's shape. I didn't notice how much slimmer it was until someone put it side-by-side with the MCL34.

thestig84

PhillipM wrote:
Just the 1 guy that has now said it twice with nothing to substantiate his 'Fat' claim :roll: .

Xero

PhillipM wrote:
I was about to post the same thing. The sidepods are clearly slimmer and more tightly packaged, it just so happens the sidepod outlets are of a similar shape to last year, so it gives a false impression of it being chunkier in that area. Far from fat, it looks "muscular" to steal Carlos' phrase.

the EDGE

kfrantzios wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:44
https://i.imgur.com/2UVnu6X.jpg
Much improved packaging as we can see by the green line. I scaled the photos and copied the shape of Mcl34 to Mcl35
Any chance of a comparison with RB & Ferrari please?

kfrantzios

the EDGE wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:10
kfrantzios wrote:
Much improved packaging as we can see by the green line. I scaled the photos and copied the shape of Mcl34 to Mcl35
i am trying to find a top view photo of them!

bosyber

kfrantzios wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:12
the EDGE wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:10
kfrantzios wrote:
i am trying to find a top view photo of them!
Given we have indications both teams have reduced their size, maybe start with pictures from last year - at the time McLaren were clearly behind them, if they better those 2019 cars, they have some chance (but, probably belongs in car comparison thread, right?)

Lucky

hollus

Just a gentle reminder from the opening post of the thread.
Thunder wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 11:38
This is the McLaren MCL35 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28681
Rivals, not enemies.

SmallSoldier

daren_p wrote:
LM10 wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:27
daren_p wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:12
First impression, a bit underwhelmed. Does not look like a contender to mix with the top three. A bit slimmer in the mid section & smaller sidepod intakes but a way to go to catch RB & Ferrari. I would assume the renders will be lacking many of the current pieces (as they were last year), if not will be quite disappointed, as things such as the bardge boards basically look like last years.
It was never a question wether McLaren would mix with the top three. Even with the top three racing with their 2019 cars, McLaren would not be fast enough to catch them.

To add on that, Andreas Seidl already told that he doesn't expect them to be contenders for race wins before 2023.
Sorry, apparently I shouldn't have said "mix with the top three", as people are taking this to mean I was hoping for them to be on par, this is not what I meant/expected. As said, just hoping for them to close the gap some (ie halving the gap compared to last year would be great result), by mix it, I meant to take advantage if there was a screw up or hold them up slightly, instead of them cruising by. I never thought they would be on par with the top 3.
We all want that... The amazing thing is... How can we tell based on pictures that is or isn’t the case?

Until we have some lap times, we won’t have a clue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kfrantzios

There you go. SF90 vs MCL35. Quite impressive isn't it?

f1rules

Fast comparison ill do at home with laptop
If using the headrest/halo attachment and draw a direct line back from that,
but then, mcl has a turbo to take care of in that part

Last edited by f1rules on 13 Feb 2020, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.