McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mat-tes

Re: McLaren MCL35

Xero wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 00:55
f1rules wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:44
question, i dont know the rules, and i know carb fib are layered with different patterns, but this almost look like a glue on, any risk we will se a gigantic vacuum nose :-)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQr8kPQWsAA ... name=large
Good find! That's definitely a glue on replacement. Either the real tip was damaged or they're hiding something. Given how sophisticated they were in this area last year, I'm guessing the latter. The nose tip is there however only to satisfy the regulations, so perhaps the tip isn't an important part of the crash structure.
It's a building technique some f1 team use, you build the nose tip separately and glue it later on to the nose cone, it's probably much easier to run the vacuum bags for good carbon layers bounding on an open nose cone. I don't know if it's a common practice across all teams.
Close up race cars tends to look a bit crunchy, the teams don't really care if the carbon layers don't align visually like you would on an expensive road car.

To have the front wing pillar be made as one piece with the nose cone they must have quite the complexe mold and rig, very impressive level of building. That's a good show of improvement in McLaren building department, few years ago they were struggling to have the complexe floor in time for winter testing (visible in their short documentary released few years back when they still had the Honda engine).

Lovely detail on how they layered the carbon onto the nose tip, the left layer overlaps the right layer beyond the mold seam (visible on the center line of the nose tip).

I'd say the car philosophy does look like a James Key design with high undercut and massive raised back panel.

Sevach

Other than the interview in general, i'd like to say that the Mclaren packaging is a lot better than i originally believed it to be, at 0:29 you can get a top rear view and it's quite impressive Imho.

JRindt

raymondu999 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 06:22
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:10
Gary Anderson is somewhat disappointed 🙄

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... ppointing/
To be fair - with all due respect to the man - Gary has been impressed with many duds and disappointed with many world beaters.

Not sure his eyeball CFD is really as effective 😅
Yeah. He called the 2018 car a “hidden gem” or something to that effect. #-o :lol:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... 0/1392970/

PlatinumZealot

Didn't he thrash the 2018 Ferrari too. He is like the Engineer version of Eddie Jordan. Sometime insightful gems, other times utter cow pie.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sanchit f1fan

I think Gary Says that And I Quote - Don't Get me Wrong but This Car Has All The Right Things on The Right Places But It Isn't as Sophisticated as The Big Three Teams as Bargeboards and Front wing is Same as Before But he is waiting To see what McLaren Brings For Front Wing and Bargeboard in Testing

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 08:14
Didn't he thrash the 2018 Ferrari too. He is like the Engineer version of Eddie Jordan. Sometime insightful gems, other times utter cow pie.
Quite literally. He was Jordan TD iirc
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ground Effect

In the study images that have been released, the S-duct does not appear, but we expect the solution to appear in the Barcelona winter tests.

☝️ What do you guys make of this opinion by Giorgio Piola in his tech analysis?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Holm86

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:24
In the study images that have been released, the S-duct does not appear, but we expect the solution to appear in the Barcelona winter tests.

The MCL34 never had an s-duct as far as I remember, maybe its not worth it for them

Vasconia

At first I thought it was a "fat" car but I think it has to be more with the livery which is hidding partially how narrow the car at the back is. It´s an evolution, perhaps I was expecting more but I am sure the car Will evolve a lot in a very short time.

Nivedanm

JRindt wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 08:10
raymondu999 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 06:22
Ground Effect wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:10
Gary Anderson is somewhat disappointed 🙄

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... ppointing/
To be fair - with all due respect to the man - Gary has been impressed with many duds and disappointed with many world beaters.

Not sure his eyeball CFD is really as effective 😅
Yeah. He called the 2018 car a “hidden gem” or something to that effect. #-o :lol:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... 0/1392970/

And he was right. Just that the gems were never discovered and remain hidden forever. :lol: :lol: :lol:

the EDGE

Holm86 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:26
Ground Effect wrote:

The MCL34 never had an s-duct as far as I remember, maybe its not worth it for them
I don’t believe the Mcl33 had an S-duct either

Manoah2u

the EDGE wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:46
Holm86 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:26
Ground Effect wrote:

I don’t believe the Mcl33 had an S-duct either
correct, they never had.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

martinbeiker

Small difference in the nose tip between renders and real car: you can see a hole in the real car.

Last edited by martinbeiker on 14 Feb 2020, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM

Afaik no s-duct planned for testing/early races
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare), boomerang, floor, diffuser updates - the usual stuff, basically. Rear wing is launch spec but they have a low drag version in the composites room atm. But again, fairly normal for testing.

carisi2k

Vasconia wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:33
At first I thought it was a "fat" car but I think it has to be more with the livery which is hidding partially how narrow the car at the back is. It´s an evolution, perhaps I was expecting more but I am sure the car Will evolve a lot in a very short time.
It's not fat but it has a size 10 hip and rear instead of a size 8 like the RB16. The narrow nose looks like the thing to have in 2020 and the MCL35 can tick that box. I think this car could solidify Mclaren's stranglehold on P4 and possibly move them further away from the rest of the mid pack.