McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL35

carisi2k wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 10:41
It's not fat but it has a size 10 hip and rear instead of a size 8 like the RB16. The narrow nose looks like the thing to have in 2020 and the MCL35 can tick that box. I think this car could solidify Mclaren's stranglehold on P4 and possibly move them further away from the rest of the mid pack.
The rear cooling outlets are much higher than the RB16, you need to look way closer than that, the actual undercut at the rear is *tighter* than the RB16

Lucky

PhillipM wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 10:34
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare)

raymondu999

carisi2k wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 09:33
At first I thought it was a "fat" car but I think it has to be more with the livery which is hidding partially how narrow the car at the back is. It´s an evolution, perhaps I was expecting more but I am sure the car Will evolve a lot in a very short time.
It's not fat but it has a size 10 hip and rear instead of a size 8 like the RB16. The narrow nose looks like the thing to have in 2020 and the MCL35 can tick that box. I think this car could solidify Mclaren's stranglehold on P4 and possibly move them further away from the rest of the mid pack.
Are you factoring in their rear undercut? It looks to me more like a size 10 waist but size 6/7 below it (whereas the RB is more a “flat” size 8
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

carisi2k

PhillipM wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 10:43
carisi2k wrote:
The rear cooling outlets are much higher than the RB16, you need to look way closer than that, the actual undercut at the rear is *tighter* than the RB16
The rear cooling outlets are not what I was talking about. The mounting of the cooling outlet has nothing to do with how slim the car is in any case. The Mclaren is nice and slim but the Red Bull's hips are slimmer.

PhillipM

The mounting of the cooling outlets has a lot to do with how slim the rear of the car is, and how effective being that slim is. Otherwise you'd just slap them on the floor...

Even if you're refering to the 'hips' of the car being where the sidepod intakes are - the Red Bull is slightly narrower up top where the intakes themselves are, yes, but the Mclaren is slightly tighter below in the undercut. There's almost nothing in it.

Emag

PhillipM wrote:
Afaik no s-duct planned for testing/early races
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare), boomerang, floor, diffuser updates - the usual stuff, basically. Rear wing is launch spec but they have a low drag version in the composites room atm. But again, fairly normal for testing.
So the car might look a little different throughout testing and Australia?

carisi2k

PhillipM wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:50
The mounting of the cooling outlets has a lot to do with how slim the rear of the car is, and how effective being that slim is. Otherwise you'd just slap them on the floor...

Even if you're refering to the 'hips' of the car being where the sidepod intakes are - the Red Bull is slightly narrower up top where the intakes themselves are, yes, but the Mclaren is slightly tighter below in the undercut. There's almost nothing in it.
I have gone back through this thread and I will still say size 10 rear. The mclaren has a bigger undercut but that is because there is more sidepod and outlet over that undercut. I think they have a car that will move them clearly ahead of the midfield but not quite to the top 3.

What I will say is that if Albon is 1 second behind Max he will be behind both Mclaren's easily.

f1rules

im a little bit :| about no obvious pou solution, since both merc and ferrari seem to focus on it, also because i quess its something that works best if its fully incorporated in the concept and not added later...

Xero

f1rules wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:37
im a little bit :| about no obvious pou solution, since both merc and ferrari seem to focus on it, also because i quess its something that works best if its fully incorporated in the concept and not added later...
I wouldn't worry about it. They used it extensively during the latter part of last season, it's something that was 100% in mind when they designed the MCL35. It's probably something that will appear during testing, or if not, they've made a calculated decision not to run it. I trust their judgement.

Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:37
All I’ll say is, let’s wait till Barcelona or even Australia to see what’s on the car. The fact that they tested the POU quite a bit should indicate some belief in it. Whatever the got in the final analysis remains to be seen, at least for now.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ripleysend

It may just be me, but aren't the new Mercedes and McLaren concepts quite similar? High level airpod inlets, big undercut on the sidepods all the way to the rear.

That said, Mercedes rear suspension looks more aggressive / experimental.

TheEngineer

PhillipM wrote:
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare), boomerang, floor, diffuser updates - the usual stuff, basically. Rear wing is launch spec but they have a low drag version in the composites room atm. But again, fairly normal for testing.
is it wise at all to be sharing private information on a public forum?

90feet

TheEngineer wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:26
PhillipM wrote:
I don't think this is exactly a secret, most of the big teams are going to make similar changes between launch and testing. Front wing, bargeboards, diffuser, etc., those are all areas that always look far more basic in launch trim. Didn't someone last year just edit out the entire diffuser from their launch renders?

diffuser

Lucky wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 10:53
PhillipM wrote:
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare)
https://autosport.com.ru/files/feature/ ... 74b445.jpg
This pictures is very cool. Look at the hight of the floor entry in the mid section around where the sidepod wing starts. That is new. It was not that high last year nor did it wave like that.

TheEngineer

90feet wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:03
TheEngineer wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:26
PhillipM wrote:
I don't think this is exactly a secret, most of the big teams are going to make similar changes between launch and testing. Front wing, bargeboards, diffuser, etc., those are all areas that always look far more basic in launch trim. Didn't someone last year just edit out the entire diffuser from their launch renders?
It's common knowledge that teams would be making changes from launch to test/first race. However I don't believe any information regarding a components production state, being passed on from a very credible source, should be made available in a public forum.