McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL35

TheEngineer wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:26
PhillipM wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 10:34
Afaik no s-duct planned for testing/early races
Front wing, bargeboards/turning vanes (actually irc the turning vanes are already slightly different on the launch vs render but I can't find a good picture to compare), boomerang, floor, diffuser updates - the usual stuff, basically. Rear wing is launch spec but they have a low drag version in the composites room atm. But again, fairly normal for testing.
is it wise at all to be sharing private information on a public forum?
Now it's launched there's nothing in there identifying, normal stuff.

Thunder

Posts about an upcoming filming Day have been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Emag

Beacuse AlphaTauri released a top-down view of their car, I thought about comparing McLaren with them. And the MCL-35 is much tighter at the mid part of the sidepods. To be honest, I think these are the cars we should compare McLaren to, because these are the cars they were fighting with last year. Hopefully when Renault releases their car they release top-down views as well. I am very interested in seeing that comparison.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Image

Beacuse AlphaTauri released a top-down view of their car, I thought about comparing McLaren with them. And the MCL-35 is much tighter at the mid part of the sidepods. To be honest, I think these are the cars we should compare McLaren to, because these are the cars they were fighting with last year. Hopefully when Renault releases their car they release top-down views as well. I am very interested in seeing that comparison.
Thank you! And I agree, at this point in time, we have to compare McLaren with the rest of the midfield teams... Even when we all may want to do it with the top 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f1rules

posted by a mclaren sponsor
nice light, havent even photoshopped
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQxDb6hXYAE ... name=large

charliesmithhd

f1rules wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 23:31
posted by a mclaren sponsor
nice light, havent even photoshopped
definitely a different boomerang compared to the renders, larger width

101FlyingDutchman

The bottom arms are now so horizontal that it would be difficult to use POU I’d imagine?

f1rules

yes the are, from the group foto highlited

f1rules

also these small flow conditioners vt generators have been spread around, not like the renders and last year

pipm1

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 23:42
The bottom arms are now so horizontal that it would be difficult to use POU I’d imagine?
I've seen POU mentioned a few times, what does it stand for please? Something to do with the front suspension geometry perhaps? :s

Holm86

pipm1 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 00:41
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
I've seen POU mentioned a few times, what does it stand for please? Something to do with the front suspension geometry perhaps? :s
POU is Pushrod On Upright, it's an offset of the pushrod mounting point on the upright, which has the effect of pulling the front down when turning, making the FW more efficient

pipm1

Great, thanks! :)

ScrewCaptain27

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
If you look at the pushrods though there is a bulge behind the brake duct, right where the POU joint would be.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

101FlyingDutchman

Good spot. There is indeed a bulge. Whether it’s there for any other reason isn’t quite clear to me. Other cars have a straight arm straight into the hub so it’s not for structural purposes

A comparison shot of the rear suspension to the rb16 would be very interesting too if anyone could do it

Jolle

is it just me or is that narrow nose a reminder of the last Catherham....