McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL35

Mansell89
Mansell89

rccrdc wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 15:37
https://i.imgur.com/L6DNLLa.png
Beautiful.

OzanA
OzanA

I didn't notice that little hole in the middle of nose until this photo.

j2004p
j2004p

haza wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 15:27
Any one notice how the gap from the bulkhead to nose cone looks temporary evidence of an s duct
Does look a little like a vanity panel

Emag
Emag

And this is the Williams vs McLaren. I hope the other cars release a top-down view as well, interesting to see these comparisons. Williams sidepod swoop down very fast though, so I don't know if you should include that black part there.
Last edited by Emag on 17 Feb 2020, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

f1rules
f1rules

Personally i dont think there will be an f-duct, its a basic feature that everyone that wants to have, has, unless mclaren reinvented it, i see no reason for them to hide it, its the last year of these aero rules, most teams will channel resources to next year very very early, so unless the gains are huuugggeee teams will follow their own routes with what they think will gain them the most, having to research and copy from another car will in my opinion be very difficult this year, there just isnt enough time, unless offcourse its a simple thing

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

f1rules wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 17:39
Personally i dont think there will be an f-duct, its a basic feature that everyone that wants to have, has, unless mclaren reinvented it, i see no reason for them to hide it, its the last year of these aero rules, most teams will channel resources to next year very very early, so unless the gains are huuugggeee teams will follow their own routes with what they think will gain them the most, having to research and copy from another car will in my opinion be very difficult this year, there just isnt enough time, unless offcourse its a simple thing
I don’t think there’ll be an f-duct either, it’s been banned for about a decade now... :wink: :-D (I know you mean s-duct)
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
Personally i dont think there will be an f-duct, its a basic feature that everyone that wants to have, has, unless mclaren reinvented it, i see no reason for them to hide it, its the last year of these aero rules, most teams will channel resources to next year very very early, so unless the gains are huuugggeee teams will follow their own routes with what they think will gain them the most, having to research and copy from another car will in my opinion be very difficult this year, there just isnt enough time, unless off course its a simple thing
I always thought it was a simple thing TBH, just a matter of leaving a small gap between the bulkhead and the nose cone and adding some CF for the opening and exit?

I believe it was introduced for 2 reasons, first to re-attach air to the nose when the 'stepped' noses were first introduced and later to lower high pressure air build up on the under the nose. If i'm correct, could it simply be McLaren doesn't suffer from these issues? their nosecone seems to flow flatter than most so perhaps doesn't suffer from separation like others

I fail to see why they don't have it otherwise, they were on of the first teams to start using it, and on the new McLaren Elva road car they take the concept a step further and use it as an invisible air canopy that even deflects bugs and rain so its not like the concept is beyond them

I suppose another reason they might choose not to run the s-duct is the area required in fit may well be taken up with suspension components from their high setup

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
f1rules wrote:
Personally i dont think there will be an f-duct, its a basic feature that everyone that wants to have, has, unless mclaren reinvented it, i see no reason for them to hide it, its the last year of these aero rules, most teams will channel resources to next year very very early, so unless the gains are huuugggeee teams will follow their own routes with what they think will gain them the most, having to research and copy from another car will in my opinion be very difficult this year, there just isnt enough time, unless off course its a simple thing
I always thought it was a simple thing TBH, just a matter of leaving a small gap between the bulkhead and the nose cone and adding some CF for the opening and exit?

I believe it was introduced for 2 reasons, first to re-attach air to the nose when the 'stepped' noses were first introduced and later to lower high pressure air build up on the under the nose. If i'm correct, could it simply be McLaren doesn't suffer from these issues? their nosecone seems to flow flatter than most so perhaps doesn't suffer from separation like others

I fail to see why they don't have it otherwise, they were on of the first teams to start using it, and on the new McLaren Elva road car they take the concept a step further and use it as an invisible air canopy that even deflects bugs and rain so its not like the concept is beyond them

I suppose another reason they might choose not to run the s-duct is the area required in fit may well be taken up with suspension components from their high setup
If they won’t use one (as they haven’t done in the last few seasons) is probably because the drag penalty doesn’t compensate for any other benefits... I’m sure they have modeled it and would use one if there was any benefit for it’s car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PlatinumZealot

S-duct should bring less drag.

Probably other reasons...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Emag
Emag

If the S-Duct was beneficial for them, it would be in the car. If it is not in the car it means that they don't need it. You don't just put something in the car because other teams have it ...

DiogoBrand

Emag wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 18:31
If the S-Duct was beneficial for them, it would be in the car. If it is not in the car it means that they don't need it. You don't just put something in the car because other teams have it ...
Do you know why it's not beneficial? I believe that's what the discussion is about.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PlatinumZealot wrote:S-duct should bring less drag.

Probably other reasons...
It does create drag (the openings for the air to enter the duct itself are drag inducing)... It does have a benefit helping manage the air on top of the noses and reattach it... If the benefit isn’t larger than the drag penalty for them, I’m sure they would be using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

I think the S-Duct is used to take some of the turbulent air under the nose that is created from the front wing and send it over the nose where it can potentially be less harmful since a lot of teams have turning vanes below the nose and they don't want any dirty air in them, and usually you have nothing at the top of the nose because regulations don't allow for complex aero there.

Perhaps McLaren has a clean enough airflow in the underside of the nose and don't want to have any disruption at the top, so they don't use it. Also, I think the drag generated by the S-Duct is negligible because it is very small, so that is not really a downside that is considered.

Lucky
Lucky