General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Bill wrote:I am not overrating anything here a quote from Andy cowell “Honda are the best improvers this year, they’re way ahead of Ferrari in terms of development rate".
Anyway speaking about 2020 Honda had made big gains both in terms of power and reliability covering 5000km that 15 race distances if you don't take practice sections in account.
Mercedes on the other hand says it has been “tougher and tougher to find performance gains”. and they are reports of reliability issues.ferrari on the other side are expected to lose power after last year fia rule clarifications. So all in all Honda fans are very much looking forward to these season
Means that Mercedes will run away with it again.
Always find the gap then use it.

Bill

Redbull is not Ferrari is not gonna happen and The Honda pu is not that Renault clunker

TNTHead

All said by the teams comparing development rates, reliability issues are only part of the battle, who's the underdog starting this season. Last year Mercedes hit a bulls eye with that, just to try to demoralize Ferrari, which they basically succeeded in. So everything is said right now I take with lots of grains of salt.
One may dream and hope, for sure.

dren

Juzh wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 10:06
mzso wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 09:48
Bill wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 13:11
To be honest Honda was producing more power than Mercedes last year.you don't win a drag race against merc in Brazil by producing less power.
That's really overrated. Hamilton had damage, so reduced dowforce and they were in a turn/bend.
Hamilton had better tires and better exit from the last corner. He also had an inside line up the hill and thus had to cover less distance.
It's pretty common knowledge that the Red Bull and STR grew wings.
Honda!

Bill

Last year it was the media who were hyping Ferrari anyone who was paying attention saw the times that Mercedes could do in sector 3 & that they had a quick car .Newey Rbr are a different kind of beast I wouldn't compare them with Ferrari.
Here is what Mercedes had to say about engines in 2016 “It will continue to go up,” Cowell confidently states. “Does it get harder to find big gains? Yes it does, but there are lots of areas where small gains will happen. And as every it’s a bit like gold mining; you work bloody hard and you get lots of dust and now and then you get a nice big nugget that makes you smile. We still find those nuggets.

In think this year is different he seems to have changed his tunes the law of diminishing returns is biting.

etusch

Bill wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 14:31
Last year it was the media who were hyping Ferrari anyone who was paying attention saw the times that Mercedes could do in sector 3 & that they had a quick car .Newey Rbr are a different kind of beast I wouldn't compare them with Ferrari.
Here is what Mercedes had to say about engines in 2016 “It will continue to go up,” Cowell confidently states. “Does it get harder to find big gains? Yes it does, but there are lots of areas where small gains will happen. And as every it’s a bit like gold mining; you work bloody hard and you get lots of dust and now and then you get a nice big nugget that makes you smile. We still find those nuggets.

In think this year is different he seems to have changed his tunes the law of diminishing returns is biting.
When they get close to top it gets harder to find horseses and also it gets harder to find out where you can find them. At Last years meetings, maybe engineers were declaring more ideas about what can be done for more performance but now most of them must be silent :mrgreen:

Marti_EF3

Juzh wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 09:54
Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 17:53
Nice ideas! Anyway, I want to do more specific videos on that car, on that point of the track, etc etc. So a direct won't fit with it. Maybe I will do a "small direct" for you guys (without comments I think :lol:) one hour during the afternoon. I just bought a 20k mAh power bank, so no problem :lol:
You can use https://streamable.com/ to avoid copyright takedowns. You should be safe as long as you don't get too high view counts (more than 10.000 usually).
How about a direct with Twitch?? I've a channel there, and I can do a direct for all F1Technical at afternoons. Every day of the second week, maybe I will try to answer your questions too.

Edit: I'm going to put it on the Preseason testing thread too

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 22:05

How about a direct with Twitch?? I've a channel there, and I can do a direct for all F1Technical at afternoons. Every day of the second week, maybe I will try to answer your questions too.

A whole lot of people can't see testing, so I like the idea @Marti, a direct with Twitch. =D>
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

Wouter wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 23:30
Marti_EF3 wrote:

A whole lot of people can't see testing, so I like the idea @Marti, a direct with Twitch. =D>
Should I do a special direct for Honda fans? When RBR or STR are on long runs? I will try to get an external micro to record more precisely the Honda PU sound. Like last year, STR and RBR were running different specs, and they didn't sounded the same :? :lol:

Webber2011

Marti_EF3 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 09:54
Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 17:53
Nice ideas! Anyway, I want to do more specific videos on that car, on that point of the track, etc etc. So a direct won't fit with it. Maybe I will do a "small direct" for you guys (without comments I think :lol:) one hour during the afternoon. I just bought a 20k mAh power bank, so no problem :lol:
You can use https://streamable.com/ to avoid copyright takedowns. You should be safe as long as you don't get too high view counts (more than 10.000 usually).

Mate, you are a bloody LEGEND !

I'm on my mobile and it won't let me upvote for some reason, but soon as I get to my laptop I'll fix that 😉

Thanks for all your efforts to keep us satisfied 👍👍👍

mzso

Juzh wrote:
Hamilton had better tires and better exit from the last corner. He also had an inside line up the hill and thus had to cover less distance.
The inside line means he can't drive as fast, especially with compromised downforce.
Bill wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 11:04
Anyway speaking about 2020 Honda had made big gains both in terms of power and reliability covering 5000km that 15 race distances if you don't take practice sections in account.
Mercedes on the other hand says it has been “tougher and tougher to find performance gains”. and they are reports of reliability issues.ferrari on the other side are expected to lose power after last year fia rule clarifications.
Come on... This is conjecture upon conjecture.

etusch

Juzh

mzso wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 19:07
Juzh wrote:
The inside line means he can't drive as fast, especially with compromised downforce.
No, the inside line means he can get on the throttle earlier because he forced gasly to take a tight line into the corner, thus compromising him on the exit. If you can't understand this simple concept of racing then there's nothing left to discuss. Hamilton had every advantage possible and couldn't pull it off in that case.

Hamilton's DF loss was negligible, only a little part of endplate was missing. He had practically new tires and a much superios car to gasly. At that stage he was probably 1.5-2s per lap quicker.

GhostF1

They've really stepped up the skip fire operation or whatever it is they're doing, it was noticeable with the Spec 4 and new fuel but now, it sounds more aggressive. Check the link it's at the correct time.

Wouter

WINTER TESTING - DAY 03

The first pre-season test of 2020 came to a close at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya with a busy day of running for the two Honda teams.

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA RACING F1

On the final day of the first test of 2020, both our teams completed a good number of laps. For Scuderia AlphaTauri, Daniil drove in the morning and Pierre in the afternoon for a total of 121 laps. At Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Max drove in the morning and Alex in the afternoon, totalling 169 laps. AlphaTauri continued working on optimising the PU while at Red Bull, both drivers ran a race simulation. We now have plenty of data to analyse at the mid-point of the pre-season tests. The fine weather and the fact there were very few red flags over the past three days means that this was a very productive first test for Honda and our two teams. We now have four days until the second test and everyone back in Japan, the UK and here in Spain is going to be very busy analysing a huge quantity of data, to make a further step forward in the final three days of track time before the first race. In total, the Honda-powered cars completed 855 laps, equivalent to a distance of 3,980.025 kilometres.
https://en.hondaracingf1.com/insights/2 ... 01_03.html
The Power of Dreams!