Williams FW43

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lotus102

Re: Williams FW43

roadie wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:39
MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EROX-zaUEAU ... name=large
via @vialibreenrue93
I don't think this really shows why the car appears to be so bulbous in the upper mid section. Is expansion room necessary there to draw air through the radiators/intercooler?
Could just be that they simply put more cooling in this area than other teams do. It's also a cooling efficiency thing - they need more volume to cool as efficiently as Mercedes does, so their sidepods are a similar size to the Merc's but engine cover is a lot bulkier. Even so, this area is still way slimmer than last year. Have a look at these pics (Ignore the highlighted suspension bits, I nicked these photos off the main Williams story).

tomazy

dtro

Pretty interesting video showcasing Williams improved slow speed stability- almost a second gained in the last sector of Barcelona alone.

humble sabot

That's already been posted, but it's worth noting that that was five races into the season versus day one of testing.
We can probably safely expect a better delta by Spain this year. Question is where that puts them in the mix.

Looks like the nose is the one unchanged part from the FW42.
The goat belly is actually a very nice organic shape, I think it resolves the conflicting demands of having four different flow streams around there - under, over, side, of sidepod, and the more horizontal flow along the side of the airbox/central spine - being almost circular in cross section air is never going along the 'wrong' vector.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Lotus102

Does anyone know if the gearbox casing is still metal or have Williams finally gone carbon?

ScrewCaptain27

Lotus102 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:26
Does anyone know if the gearbox casing is still metal or have Williams finally gone carbon?
It’s clearly still all-metal.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Lotus102

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:33
Lotus102 wrote:
So is that the gearbox casing that you can see on the cover-off photo above? There's so much packed in there these days I wasn't sure what I was looking at

ScrewCaptain27

Lotus102 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 14:22
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:33
Lotus102 wrote:
So is that the gearbox casing that you can see on the cover-off photo above? There's so much packed in there these days I wasn't sure what I was looking at
Yes
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

dtro

humble sabot wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 08:15
That's already been posted, but it's worth noting that that was five races into the season versus day one of testing.
We can probably safely expect a better delta by Spain this year. Question is where that puts them in the mix.

Looks like the nose is the one unchanged part from the FW42.
The goat belly is actually a very nice organic shape, I think it resolves the conflicting demands of having four different flow streams around there - under, over, side, of sidepod, and the more horizontal flow along the side of the airbox/central spine - being almost circular in cross section air is never going along the 'wrong' vector.
Of course it's too early to tell, but in comparison to last year the car's body language looks a lot more predictable, to say nothing of them being there with a car. If the problems from last years cars can be either diminished or eradicated (unpredictable cornering) they could find themselves in the mix with Haas/Alfa.

Lotus102

So, without wishing to pour cold water on what was in most respects a pretty positive test for Williams, should we be worried about the engine issues on Thursday and Friday? Was it purely a Merc related issue or might there be something in the installation that the PU doesn’t like? Remembering all the cooling problems on the FW41 with some trepidation.

Lotus102

Seems like an awful lot of rake on the FW43 this morning (in more ways than one)

Lotus102

More correlation tests this morning, by the looks of things. Change of front wing already on Latifi’s car

Morteza

Different flaps configuration with cuts and curvature on the Williams.

Last edited by Morteza on 26 Feb 2020, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NtsParadize