Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Red Bull RB16

Pyrone89 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:17
Any early indications how large the pace deficit is to the W11?

If you look at this at face value it seems that Mercedes is .7 ahead of Red Bull.

However this is slower than last year's pace by Verstappen, and we already know conditions are both better and this car is faster. How easy is it to just top off the fuel tank between stints and hide your pace?

The delta between full and empty tanks is over 3 seconds, yet Verstappen never really breaks into the 19's.
Saishū kōnā

McMika98
McMika98

godlameroso wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:29

The delta between full and empty tanks is over 3 seconds, yet Verstappen never really breaks into the 19's.
Whats with the nonsensical running commentry after every lap. As if Merc are going full beans and showing their hands , we know they are competing for top spot.

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rgava
rgava

Am I wrong or the lower front wishbone is going through the chassis, acting as spring?
I've never seen this applied to the current generation of F1 cars.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

rgava wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 17:59
Am I wrong or the lower front wishbone is going through the chassis, acting as spring?
They run the wheel tethers in to the chassis through the wishbones (which are hollow).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's the wheel tethers.

rgava
rgava

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:01
rgava wrote:
They run the wheel tethers in to the chassis through the wishbones (which are hollow).
This is what I see in the upper front wishbone, but the lower one is another thing. The way it is supported makes me think on a crossbow suspension

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

rgava wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:01
rgava wrote:
This is what I see in the upper front wishbone, but the lower one is another thing. The way it is supported makes me think on a crossbow suspension
The wheels have two tethers so probably run to two different points.

It's possible they run the lower wishbone as a spring-like set up, however.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pyrone89

So what is all this talk F1TV is doing about the double bulkhead being some kind of game changers? Not really seeing the big fuzz.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Morteza

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Adrian Newey's opinion about DAS: "Controlling the tyre temperatures is not enough for me. There must be aerodynamic reasons. I'm having a hard time seeing how this is legal. The driver doesn't steer the car when he pulls the steering wheel towards him or pushes it away."

Meanwhile, the packaging and location of the track rods on the RB16 suggest it won't be possible for them to develop their own DAS system without a serious amount of work. It's sour grapes at Red Bull.

marcel171281
marcel171281

Has anyone an idea what the benefit of that double bulkhead is? I'm thinking about it and can it be like the double gearbox casing from a couple of years ago, where they could change the suspension pickup points without changing and redesigning the entire gearbox itself.

Normally the front suspension is bolted directly onto the tub, giving no possible change, apart form making a hole new chassis. But with the suspension bolted to a seperate piece in front of the bulkhead of the actual chassis, doesn't give that the opportunity to change the whole geometrie in no-time without changing the chassis itself? Or maybe even change the wheelbase by swapping over that section between the first and second bulkhead for a longer of shorter one?

hollus

All the fine posts about car pace and about car pace relative to Mercedes, have been moved to the team thread, where they should have been in the first place. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28684&start=210

As in every car thread, please the rules are relatively simple:
Thunder wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 11:25
This is the Red Bull RB16 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28684
Similar pace-centric posts below this line may just be eliminated.
Rivals, not enemies.

Bill
Bill