Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy

Re: Mercedes W11

MtthsMlw wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 18:31
Also they are not really revealing anything.
apart from how scary it is :lol:

LM10

F1Krof wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 18:20
atanatizante wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:58
The 2020 Mercedes F1 Car Explained!

Coming soon at their YT channel on 6 PM!

Stay tuned!
I just don't understand why would they do this? It makes no sense to me.
They do this every year. They don't reveal anything. It's for spectators who're not that much into F1 like the majority of people in this forum. We know much more about this car than what James has told. Not to mention other team's engineers. This video would be lost time for them.

PlatinumZealot

atanatizante wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:58
The 2020 Mercedes F1 Car Explained!

Coming soon at their YT channel on 6 PM!

Stay tuned!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bigpat

I think by next week, DAS will be old news, as the teams potentially bolt on their latest tweaks prior to Melbourne.

From the noises coming from Mercedes, DAS is the tip of the iceberg. James Allison says they have done some structural changes to the front uprights, and the rear sweeping lower rear wishbones logically help air flow through the coke section between the rear wheels.

Unlike DAS, this rear end geometry will likely be a full season advantage, as the rear end suspension, and gear case requires a full redesign to accommodate it. This, and the bits we can't see yet will be of most interest through the season.

izzy

we're literally laughing out loud here :lol: :lol: Hahaha

NathanOlder

Its probably been mentioned , but the DAS system could be used to help cooling ? Help get a better flow of clean air into the side pod. Therefore be able to run a tighter packaged car that would slowly over heat, but the driver can control this by cooling better on the straights ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:21
Its probably been mentioned , but the DAS system could be used to help cooling ? Help get a better flow of clean air into the side pod. Therefore be able to run a tighter packaged car that would slowly over heat, but the driver can control this by cooling better on the straights ?
Maybe a very small benefit bit I doubt it's going to be helping all that much.
Felipe Baby!

izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:21
Yes considering Red Bull lost their aero using development tyres instead of the final ones, a couple of years ago, there must be all kinds of aero effects

pimpwerx

Can someone can help me interpret parts of this rule better:

10.5.2 The re-alignment of the steered wheels, as defined by the position of the inboard attachment of the relevant suspensions members that remain a fixed distance from each other, must be uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering wheel.

Does this prohibit moving the wheel ends of the steering arms up and down to push/pull the wheels in and out to change the toe angle?

Does this prohibit building a steering wheel bracket that would simulate the current push/pull activation method for the system?
- This one I think limits any z-axis movement of the steering wheel, due to the word "monotonic".

The second part of the rule seems easier to understand than the first part. I assume monotonic means that if you implemented push/pull passively via rotation (kinda like turning a screw), then it's no longer monotonic. However, the first part of the rule confuses me a bit. It only refers to the inboard attachment, meaning in the monocoque. Vertical motion (like flapping a wing) would replicate the same effect, assuming you has some kind telescoping end on the wheelside joint. Such a joint could potentially have the telescopic motion keyed so that telescoping is only allowed under certain steering angles, or more likely loads. That doubt leads me to think that we might not see the end of DAS come 2021.

henry

pimpwerx wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 12:07
Can someone can help me interpret parts of this rule better:

I think this is more a question for the DAS legality thread. You raise some interesting points and I’ll respond there.

Mod edit: :arrow: DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Sierra117

I bet they've already figured out a way to use a simple lever behind the steering wheel much like the paddles to control the toe rather than this first edition that involves pulling the whole thing and which will be discarded die to 2021 regs. But a single lever would mean probably a very powerful hydraulic assembly with resulting weight. Wonder how they'll do it. If it works out great this season then no way will they drop it for next year.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

OO7
OO7

Sierra117 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:07
I bet they've already figured out a way to use a simple lever behind the steering wheel much like the paddles to control the toe rather than this first edition that involves pulling the whole thing and which will be discarded die to 2021 regs. But a single lever would mean probably a very powerful hydraulic assembly with resulting weight. Wonder how they'll do it. If it works out great this season then no way will they drop it for next year.
The 2021 tech regs ban the realignment of the wheels by any device other than the rotation of a steering wheel.

hurril

Sierra117 wrote:
Are there any proofs that this thing actually does something? Are they not in fact trolling us all up into orbit? :)

Phlumbert

Wheel and hub detail:

Sierra117

OO7 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:18
Sierra117 wrote:
The 2021 tech regs ban the realignment of the wheels by any device other than the rotation of a steering wheel.
Yeah but if you can hide it well enough ... 🤓
hurril wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:29
Are there any proofs that this thing actually does something? Are they not in fact trolling us all up into orbit? :)
Yup, as I quoted Ross Brawn himself from many years ago, "they're focussing on the wrong end" 👽👽
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir