Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes W11

Seems like it, then he's taken it and run with it. :wtf:

Mark4211 wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 16:37
They have started using other BBAL offset values apart from .5%.

Pictured: 56.8% BBAL

https://i.imgur.com/FSWtDSI.png
I don’t think this is new
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

i70q7m7ghw

Dreameagl wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 19:35
I guess Mark Hughes had a moment of confusion (toe vs camber) in his article here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... PCKC4.html
Typically an F1 car will be set up so that its front wheels are aligned with ‘toe-out’, which simply means that they splay out at the bottom away from the centre of the car, with the top pointing inwards.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
#-o He did an analysis piece after one of the McLaren car launches several years ago where he claimed the concept was a dud and it wouldn't be a contender... it turned out to be the quickest car that season. One of those people that just lucked in to their job :roll:

zac510

henry wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 18:35
enri_the_red wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 14:47
henry wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 13:10

They do. Up to the size limits in the regs. And they change the incidence with steering angle using a cam on the hub end ball joint. @Platinum Zealot posted about this recently.
rules about the steering or rules about the suspensions?
Rules about suspension elements. There are allowed to be up to 6 elements per wheel. My expectation is that these are: two for the upper wishbone, two for the lower, one push or pull rod and one for the track rod (steering arm). The regulations don’t specify these and other configurations that meet these rules would have to be allowed.

IMO Steering is an alignment function using elements of the suspension not a separate physical system. The rules allow re-alignment using this function. The rule writers didn’t expect that the re- alignment might be change in toe. They do now and have written this option out of the 2021 regulations.
I agree with your expectation.
However I'm still interested to see if other teams can come up with some fresh ideas given the alternative interpretation in place for 2020. Often the first person/team to innovate does not receive the long term benefits of the innovation as another team takes the idea and develops it better.

hollus

A few uses have asked that "someone" start a separate thread about the legality of this system. I would like to point out that all users have this magic power to start a new thread in different sections of the forum. In cases like that... please, go ahead!

In any case, it seems that "someone" (thanks!) was aware of such powers and already has opened a thread about the legality of this system:

DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??
Rivals, not enemies.

SiLo

https://v.redd.it/h4zvt2y23ji41

Someone on reddit posted their mock up of how the DAS system could work. Now I look at it this way it seems incredible simple.

Apologies if this actually originated form here!
Felipe Baby!

GioKer32

Does anyone know which is the normal toe-out used in Formula 1? And i'd also like to know if Mercedes, using the DAS, can increase this angle. I think that toe-out in the other cars must be a compromise between corners and straights, probably Merc is able to run a more extreme configuration without losing speed in the straight.

SiLo wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 12:32
https://v.redd.it/h4zvt2y23ji41

Someone on reddit posted their mock up of how the DAS system could work. Now I look at it this way it seems incredible simple.

Apologies if this actually originated form here!
The simplicity is incredible.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

izzy

GioKer32 wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 15:33
Does anyone know which is the normal toe-out used in Formula 1? And i'd also like to know if Mercedes, using the DAS, can increase this angle. I think that toe-out in the other cars must be a compromise between corners and straights, probably Merc is able to run a more extreme configuration without losing speed in the straight.
yes i was thinking this. And now they've got it basically cleared, i wouldn't be surprised if a Version2 arrives on Wednesday, with as you say a bigger range of angle and perhaps more change of camber as well, and an intermediate position or even continuous adjustment with a locking lever

Just_a_fan

I don't think they need added complexity. I think they want it so they can run a bit more toe for better cornering but then remove it for stability on the straights along with front tyre life.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

atanatizante

The 2020 Mercedes F1 Car Explained!

Coming soon at their YT channel on 6 PM!

Stay tuned!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

F1Krof

atanatizante wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:58

Stay tuned!
I just don't understand why would they do this? It makes no sense to me.
Wroom wroom

GrizzleBoy

F1Krof wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 18:20
atanatizante wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:58

Stay tuned!
I just don't understand why would they do this? It makes no sense to me.
Last year of these regs. Probably doesnt matter if other teams have their designs. I.e. racing point.

Sponsor visibility bonuses.

MtthsMlw

Also they are not really revealing anything.

PhillipM

214270 wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 15:43

The simplicity is incredible.
Because it doesn't account for the large amount of backlash that would be needed on the sliding splines and the fact that there's both a hydraulic shuttle valve and the piston on the rack - which would now need to float on one rack piece with a seal and drive all it's assist forces back through the pinion gears to the other rack half, instead of just on the single bar.
People seem to forget there's a hydraulic circuit in there for power steering.
Last edited by PhillipM on 23 Feb 2020, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.