Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jumpingfish

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Ferrari will bring new wings and different engine hood to Barcelona

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/test- ... e/4694397/

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

SiLo

jumpingfish wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 16:37
Ferrari will bring new wings and different engine hood to Barcelona

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/test- ... e/4694397/
DeepL Translation:
In the second session of collective tests scheduled from Wednesday on the Catalan track, the SCuderia will bring an aerodynamic package that has been designed for Australia. It is possible that there is also a modification to the rear suspension after the collapse on the Haas of Magnussen, since the arms are the same.
Ferrari in the second winter test in Barcelona is destined to change face: as we had anticipated on Motorsport.com on the Montmelò track, the aerodynamic package with which the Scuderia will compete in the first race of the 2020 World Championship in Australia will make its debut.

Don't expect drastic changes on the SF1000: just to be very clear, we shouldn't think that there will be a narrow nose, following the design of Mercedes and Red Bull.

The Red Bull in Spain will bring two new wings (front and rear) to increase the load (the one at the front that was used in test 1 was the same as in the Reggio Emilia presentation), and will show an engine hood that is already an evolution of the very tapered one with which Ferrari raced in the first three Catalan days.

And it is not at all ruled out that there is an intervention on the rear suspension, after the failure that occurred on Kevin Magnussen's Haas on Friday, when the Dane crashed into turn 7 after a spin due to the breakage of a carbon kinematics.

Since the VF-20's suspension is the same as the Ferrari SF1000 and Alfa Romeo C39, it's normal that the problem has been dealt with and solved by Maranello's technical department to prevent it from happening again.

The Scuderia, therefore, will go and find out what is the real potential of the Rossa with strategies more pushed in the dry lap to find out what is the real value of the SF1000, single-seater that so far has raised many doubts...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Felipe Baby!

bosyber

Thanks CriXus, @AlbertFabrega is always a good source, isn't he!
Testing engine problem is not a big concern for Ferrari. The fault was traced to a non-structural problem with the lubrication system.
well, that's one worry less then. Good to know there is no worry about a baked in fault in the PU lubrication - I guess a lose/defective hose or something then.

That bit from it.motorsport.com about the Haas/Ferrari/Alfa Romeo rear-suspension might be a bit more of a bother though (reminders of the Vettel front wheel issue last year which might have compromised them early in the year); the AUS aero package will be interesting to see how it developed from last weeks car, nothing unexpected there I suppose, but progress is welcome given Binotto's words.

TimmTurbo

Perhaps they bring an even more „Coandaisch“ PU lid and eventually somewhat tighter in the rear. I mean they could have checked internal temps in first week and therefore be able to judge that

OO7
OO7

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 11:58
They do have an impressively small airbox and sidepods. Either they have some magic cooling system or their internal flow is ludicrously good.

There are innovations up and down the paddock but they are the only ones with incredibly tight packaging everywhere.
The Ferrari is only "incredibly tight" around the airbox and upper engine cover (the area around the ICE intake plenum).

PlatinumZealot

Fab55 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 09:45
Leo Turrini, a reliable source, a few days before the presentation of the 1000, announced that Ferrari had experienced serious aerodynamic problems. I exclude that a team that has been working on the project for 10 months can only notice at the end that they have misunderstood the chosen forms. It is more likely that the problem relates to less predictable and reproducible internal flows at design time (you have to wait for the radiators and exchangers to be ready and test them). Ferrari's ambitious goal was to combine the low drag of the 90 with the downforce of RedBull's unsubsed "upside-down boat" sidepods. But in RedBull the sidepods contain less stuff as a substantial part of the cooling is entrusted to the airscope. If you look at the recent Ferrari tests and also Alfa Sauber (which follows the Red Bull conformation and which has clearly been used to make comparisons), everything is back. We will soon see an SF 1000 with ears?
Not true. The Ferrari charge air is water cooled. The RedBull charge air is air cooled. The Ferrari should have smaller charge coolers in the side pod.
I don't beleive this rumour at all. You would have seen Ferrari cut the cooling opening bigger or brought a bigger engine cover.

wowgr8

Updates this week will be small, the big upgrade package seems to have been put on hold because they're still not satisfied with the correlation work they've done so-far. Half the testing days gone already the team is still searching for a baseline, very worrying. I hope it clicks like it did for Mercedes last year

f1jcw

wowgr8 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 00:58

Updates this week will be small, the big upgrade package seems to have been put on hold because they're still not satisfied with the correlation work they've done so-far. Half the testing days gone already the team is still searching for a baseline, very worrying. I hope it clicks like it did for Mercedes last year
Wow, this is looking more and more like 2005

outsid3r

f1jcw wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 01:22
wowgr8 wrote:

That translator makes it sound much worse than it really is IMO ...

Literal translation: Ferrari will have new aerodynamic components in the second test but not all the updates planned weeks ago. Priority will be given to the research on the full correlation between factory / track, which is still not satisfying after the first 24hr of testing.

jumpingfish

outsid3r wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 10:22
f1jcw wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

Literal translation: Ferrari will have new aerodynamic components in the second test but not all the updates planned weeks ago. Priority will be given to the research on the full correlation between factory / track, which is still not satisfying after the first 24hr of testing.
Correlation promblems with SF1000? Did they even try to solve them since 2018?

outsid3r

jumpingfish wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 10:47
outsid3r wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 10:22
f1jcw wrote:

Correlation promblems with SF1000? Did they even try to solve them since 2018?
Well by that choice of words (i.e. "full correlation") I am assuming that there was progress... its just that its not 100% what they were expecting and there are some mismatches in the finer details?

wowgr8

In regards to the correlation problem I think they're trialling everything they can to ensure they go down the correct development path, especially with how sensitive the current tyres are and how hard Ferrari were bitten last year

LM10

If there still are correlation problems, they hopefully will be gone once the brand new simulator is in use.

jumpingfish

outsid3r wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 11:10
Well by that choice of words (i.e. "full correlation") I am assuming that there was progress... its just that its not 100% what they were expecting and there are some mismatches in the finer details?
I'm not sure if this is due to small details. It is more likely that they cannot make the SF1000 work on the track as they expect at the factory. This is reminiscent of the situation with the updates after the US 2018 Grand Prix, when after several stages they were forced to roll back.