Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari SF1000

wowgr8 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 01:01
Polite wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 00:23
wowgr8 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 00:17

Native Italian speakers? What does this say? Google translate isn't very good
..he was true when he said time ago that sf1000 would have got the same old third element of the suspenion..

nothing more m8
What about the "incredible" part
"Incredible lack of movement/improvement in this area of the car for the last 3 years"

Not a native speaker but that's the gist of it.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 01:35
The car has downforce. LeClerc and Vettel said it has the downforce. The problem they have is balance! And for me this is actually worse than lacking downforce. It means chronic development frustrations throughout the year. The better get on top of this before European leg before they are left a distance third in the champs. Hmm. Actually Racing point is looking a bit nifty...
I think their car changed the most so they are facing growing pains.

But you are right given that things developed for this year will be worth nothing for last year we could see Ferrari having quite a melancholic season if they don't understand the car soon.

f1316
f1316

They’re saying the car has added downforce, is a step forward, but lacks top speed:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... s/4696974/

Funnily enough I find this the most encouraging thing I’ve heard about the car, since it rings completely false to me - I find it very difficult to believe that the design of this car has a massively higher drag coefficient than last year.

This makes me more inclined to believe Mercedes that Ferrari are running in low power mode and, if so, it would explain why their pace is only demonstrable in slow corners > if so, they’re not that slow after all.

I think Ferrari are going to great pains to keep expectations low and therefore any degree of competitiveness is seen as an ‘achievement’.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Them claiming the car has a lot more drag is interesting, I'm not sure why they're doing it. From eyeballing it I'd say the way slimmer packaging this year would aid the speed? But then again there's the increased rake. They keep bringing up drag though, and stressing its importance, are the interviewers asking about it?

CSavoy
CSavoy

wowgr8 wrote:

SF1000 - New completely hydraulic third element or hydraulic commanded mechanism? The second option, that we "bet" during winter. Incredible immobility in this zone of the car during the last 3 years.
(I don't speak italian, but it is pretty close to portuguese)

He's saying that the heave spring now has an hydraulic command coupled with a mechanism. It's not a full hydraulic third element, in which a fluid would serve as a spring.
(I think both solutions are not allowed by the 2021 rules)

CRazyLemon
CRazyLemon

I find it very interesting that Ferrari has kept their times and I mean all their times in the 1.18.0-4 bracket regardless of anything. Yesterday the autos port live commentators said the track was 0.6 slower in the afternoon than the morning due to wind yet same time from Lecler as Vettel pretty much.

They then said the track was 1 second slower than Friday last week, yet Ferrari put in the same times.

Every other team has fluctuated up and down. They must be measuring every setup in great detail at a delta.

I don't know what this means performance wise though.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

f1316 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 02:53

I think Ferrari are going to great pains to keep expectations low and therefore any degree of competitiveness is seen as an ‘achievement’.
They're just doing what Mercedes usually does - running their own programme and not giving anything away. Then they'll turn it up and suddenly the media will be "oh wow, where did Ferrari's pace come from?"

The media love this as it gives them a narrative to spend weeks talking about.

As always, we won't know until race 3 or 4 is done.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 02:53
They’re saying the car has added downforce, is a step forward, but lacks top speed:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... s/4696974/

Funnily enough I find this the most encouraging thing I’ve heard about the car, since it rings completely false to me - I find it very difficult to believe that the design of this car has a massively higher drag coefficient than last year.

This makes me more inclined to believe Mercedes that Ferrari are running in low power mode and, if so, it would explain why their pace is only demonstrable in slow corners > if so, they’re not that slow after all.

I find encouraging how calm they look, if they had truly big problems the atmosphere inside the team would be terrible. They seem to have more downforce and I am sure that top-speed won´t be that bad. Maybe they have lost some top-speed in comparison to last season, but the loss may be quite reasonable, not so big.

Polite
Polite

wowgr8 wrote:
Polite wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

..he was true when he said time ago that sf1000 would have got the same old third element of the suspenion..

nothing more m8
....it's "incredible" there's nothing new in a such long time (3 years)...
(it is a paraphrase because he uses metaphorical italian expression)
:wink:

Mr.G

Polite wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:30
wowgr8 wrote:
Polite wrote:

nothing more m8
May it be that the hydraulic link is from the bottom side (not exposed on the photos)?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

jumpingfish

Mr.G wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:37
Polite wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

May it be that the hydraulic link is from the bottom side (not exposed on the photos)?
PG Tech today: https://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2020/0 ... 6474609375
Thanks to the wonderful image of our Alessandro Arcari we can definitely dispel the doubt: the third element on the Ferrari SF1000 has remained mechanical with hydraulic control. In a specification very similar to what we have already seen on the previous three Italian cars starting from the high performance SF70H.

Mr.G

jumpingfish wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:46
Mr.G wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 10:37
Polite wrote:

PG Tech today: https://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2020/0 ... 6474609375
Thanks to the wonderful image of our Alessandro Arcari we can definitely dispel the doubt: the third element on the Ferrari SF1000 has remained mechanical with hydraulic control. In a specification very similar to what we have already seen on the previous three Italian cars starting from the high performance SF70H.
Yes I saw that, the point was that we still see only 2/3 of it... it may be hidden behind (I don't say it is...)...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Rikhart
Rikhart

"What are we lacking? The car of this season compared to the one of last season is overall faster, but we are faster in the corners, slower on the straights.

"This was as well an objective in designing that car. We knew last year that we were too slow in the corners, so we tried to put as much downforce as we could on the car to [make it] as fast as possible in the corners. But now we are paying [for it] on the straights.
This phrase amuses me greatly, sounds to me they are kinda spitballing everything. Really, you cannot predict what adding more drag will do? Or is that your wind tunnel or cfd is so very bad that you cannot correctly calculate such values?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Rikhart wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 12:15
"What are we lacking? The car of this season compared to the one of last season is overall faster, but we are faster in the corners, slower on the straights.

"This was as well an objective in designing that car. We knew last year that we were too slow in the corners, so we tried to put as much downforce as we could on the car to [make it] as fast as possible in the corners. But now we are paying [for it] on the straights.
This phrase amuses me greatly, sounds to me they are kinda spitballing everything. Really, you cannot predict what adding more drag will do? Or is that your wind tunnel or cfd is so very bad that you cannot correctly calculate such values?
I think it’s more that they’re talking to the media like idiots... which is required, because they are.

He basically says - they put more downforce on because last year they didn’t have enough. It’s made them faster in the corners and slower on the straights, which was to their plan.

He hasn’t said anything. Comments like that are for n00bz and for the media to spin into an article

AMG.Tzan

Vettel right now on the C5 on a fast lap! 1.16.8

Sector 3 time: 26.5

So either yesterday's 26.0 was with a cut corner as some said or simply the C3 tire is much better around here...which i think is the truth...but still Mercedes managed a 1.15.7 with C5!

Vettel was pushing so saying he didn't push enough is not true! Of course no one knows the fuel loads!

Aaaand he's going again...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis