Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mmred

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Blackout wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 17:49
Why are Ferrari's rear top wishbones so thick? do they contain some... extra fuel?
:arrow:
No but Fia says its perfectly legal that they move with the steering wheel, cause its not 4 wheel steering but a "perfectly reasonable function of the steer axis"

Sorry Seriously...

Fia succeded in writing nothing clear about its agreement with ferrari so everyone can make its own speculation... ferrari foooled everyone with a very big engine power cut in tests ... so now everyone can say absolutely everything about their engine performance and nobody has a clear picture about where they are ( if close to redbull or near racing point - yeah i heard that too )
if you add that even the mercedes had failures and das can be legal or illegal depending on the year, we have a start of the season in wich nothing is clear and newspapers can formulate every fantasy and claim to have the final truth

it seems madness to me

the only sure thing is it will be gray the team to beat
the reds are a little behind or more on track ( i dont really care about out of track battles )

but so far, apart from the futile time comparison, some technical question has been answered.

ferrari improved on slow corners but still not enough. high rake works better there. and the car hided its potential everywhere else. the front wing seems to not work yet well cause they complain about drag and understeer ( that is probably i guess more linked to fwing outwash concept and so the difference)

the real interesting comparison is between rb and ferrari. with somewhat similar rear concept but totally different front approach ( the rb seems the winning one for now ).... will ferrari change its fw concept? is it even possible ? i dont know

feell free to criticize what i understood so far

zioture

Some car comparison

PlatinumZealot

Ferrari's suspenions design is leaving food on the table when you check the space around the front wing and the space below the side pod inlets. it us very conservative engineering i am really wondering if they are still hungry to win.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mmred

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 17:20
Ferrari's suspenions design is leaving food on the table when you check the space around the front wing and the space below the side pod inlets. it us very conservative engineering i am really wondering if they are still hungry to win.
More space below the sidepod Is actually good design. Aerowise.

Ringleheim

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 17:20
Of course they are hungry to win. A better question to ask is: "Do they have the smartest technical people in the sport working on the car?"

Ferrari has been down on technical talent for a long time now. Look at the key players just a few years ago. They were all let go when Domenicalli and Di Montezemolo were forced out. Where did they all go? A lot were out of the sport entirely. Some have come back to the smallest teams at the back of the grid.

Ferrari tried to make a step forward in this regard with James Allison but then his wife died, he moved back to England, and now he makes the Mercedes better, not the Ferrari.

All of these teams are only as good as the individuals working for them at any point in time.

I feel like Ferrari has not had the best technical people for a long time, which probably helps explain the driver's and constructor's championship drought they are currently in.

JPBD1990

V interesting take on FIA ‘settlement’ with Ferrari

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/02/why ... ower-unit/
Last edited by JPBD1990 on 02 Mar 2020, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Binnotto is also a loss too. He's joined the admin folks.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316

This is a great set of comparisons, thanks. Looking at the sidepods, the following strikes me:

- the Mercedes tapers to a smaller, almost non-existent, point
- it’s also more dramatically shrink wrapped around every component
- but the widest part of the Ferrari seems narrower than widest part if the Mercedes
- Ferrari have also clearly aimed for a smooth curve to the shape of the sidepod, possibly sacrificing ultimate size in places in order to maintain an unobstructed and uninterrupted airflow

It seems to me that *if* the Ferrari has larger volume sidepods - and to me that’s w relatively big if from this evidence - they’re probably gaining just as much from the roll hoop area as they’re losing in the sidepods.

I also think that - internal airflow aside, and it’s difficult for us to comment on that, if not impossible - all the elements that appeared to be ‘low drag’ on last year’s car - the front wing, the roll hoop, the sidepod shape - remain intact. This makes me sceptical about the increase in drag in the new design that’s been reported.

siskue2005

zioture wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 15:25
Some car comparison
Look how much space is left below the lower suspension element, the side of nose and the front wing of the Mercedes in relation to Ferrari. All air there is going to the floor and increasing the rear downfroce... no wonder all teams are going with the slimmer nose and higher front suspension this year.

JonoNic

zioture wrote:Car Comparison

Is it me or is there not a very big difference in rake here...?
Always find the gap then use it.

CLKGTR

From this comparison shot it seems that Ferrari has little bit less than a half of the wheel diametar shorter wheelbase than Mercedes which is around 6 inches or 150 mm. It is a lot :o

LM10

JonoNic wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 11:53
Is it me or is there not a very big difference in rake here...?
It’s impossible to asses rake amount from this shot. We don’t know the fuel loads and the speeds of the cars, which would change the rake significantly.

Sevach

CLKGTR wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 11:56
From this comparison shot it seems that Ferrari has little bit less than a half of the wheel diametar shorter wheelbase than Mercedes which is around 6 inches or 150 mm. It is a lot :o
All of it behind the driver, despite the fact that the Ferrari is a fair bit shorter the distance between the cockpit(and consequently the sidepods and airbox) and the front axle is pretty much the same.

LM10

Sevach wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 13:36
CLKGTR wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 11:56
All of it behind the driver, despite the fact that the Ferrari is a fair bit shorter the distance between the cockpit(and consequently the sidepods and airbox) and the front axle is pretty much the same.
Yes and the Ferrari being notably shorter from cockpit to rear axle, makes their packaging work even more impressive.