COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 15:49
Awful and terrible idea. No body will spend millions and waste their time on a non points exhibition "race". It would turn into just a test session that no one would take seriously (race win, wise).

Why is that so difficult to understand?
Oooh well let's see, which of us understands what, what races happen and which of us watches :P

Zynerji

izzy wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 17:48
Zynerji wrote:
Awful and terrible idea. No body will spend millions and waste their time on a non points exhibition "race". It would turn into just a test session that no one would take seriously (race win, wise).

Oooh well let's see, which of us understands what, what races happen and which of us watches :P
Sure thing. :roll:

Shrieker

hollus wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 08:23
Until people with the virus start glowing in funny colors, we simply don't know how many people is infected. Think about it: what constitutes, in the eyes of your country's health system, an infected person? This makes infection rates massively dependent on the counting an testing an diagnosing systems used, and changeable with time, as it is extremely unlikely that anyone is counted in the first week of his or her infection. (Chicken pox kind of meets this criterium, kind of).
Exactly.. We have a grand total of zero confirmed cases as of now :roll: The twisted logic behind that is, "you don't get any positives if you don't test". With that kind of a mind set, it's inevitable we'll end up like iran or worse...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Baulz

Zynerji wrote:

You need to keep in mind that sponsors have paid millions to get the exposure from the cars racing. I doubt the teams will be happy to give that money back.

I would expect the majority of F1 fans will still watch a non points race on tv.

bluechris

Baulz wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

You need to keep in mind that sponsors have paid millions to get the exposure from the cars racing. I doubt the teams will be happy to give that money back.

I would expect the majority of F1 fans will still watch a non points race on tv.
Yeah, they can do that and the teams that will miss the race they can arrange a race in a track near by. Ferrari and Alfa Romeo can run a race at Fiorano or Imola or Monza and liberty can show us 2 races ... Damn that will be great. All teams will have same practice time with race rules just not on the same track :-)

Just no points or they can PlayStation it by putting in the f1 site a "like" point system so the team that will get the most "likes" will get 5 points and the rest 4 to 0. Also the race winner will get 5 points the rest 4 to 0.

In the end we will have races and points.

kimetic

Just been watching a biathlon competition from the Czech Republic, where they held the race but with no spectators, no press conferences and minimal mingling. I suppose that might be an option for F1, with gatherings being a significant risk. If they can race I'm sure they will, crowd and championship points or not.

tomazy

It is not italian teams that can be effected by this, Pirelli is also from Italy and probably alot of its staf in F1.

bluechris

tomazy wrote:It is not italian teams that can be effected by this, Pirelli is also from Italy and probably alot of its staf in F1.
You know, i had read somewhere that the countries that got it 1st they will get out 1st. This means before the championship starts we have Italy high but eventually it will be controlled (in Greece we are at the start of it atm) but if this thing doesn't reduce as the spring comes and temps rising because that is what the experts say, then we will have before summer the rest of the Europe and especially UK in Italy situation. If anyone believes that in 2020 you can control a virus from spreading that already exist in a big chunk of the world is mistaken imo, except if a country completely shut down anything in and out in their borders.

Juzh

800 new cases in 1 day. If it continues at this rate I'm sceptical Australian government can continute to hold out with banning/forcing quarantine on italian travelers until next week.

3jawchuck

Quarantine isn't there to stop it, it is there to slow and control it until the local health services are in as good a position to handle it as possible and potentially any new treatments are available.

AJI
AJI

Juzh wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 23:56
800 new cases in 1 day. If it continues at this rate I'm sceptical Australian government can continute to hold out with banning/forcing quarantine on italian travelers until next week.
Move on, move on! Nothing to see here... Ferrari's relationship with the FIA is a more important topic, just ask turbof1

Tommy Cookers

bluechris wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 23:32
.... if this thing doesn't reduce as the spring comes and temps rising because that is what the experts say, then we will have before summer the rest of the Europe and especially UK in Italy situation....
are the experts saying that warmer weather (ie lower relative humidity) WON'T help ??

I'm asking because the UK is now doubling its infection rate every 48 hrs
as with a nuke the doubling time is the thing

Phil

I have my doubts, given countries with warm climate are also affected. And we've been having an above average warm winter so far in Europe.

Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

bluechris

Tommy Cookers wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 10:15
bluechris wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 23:32
.... if this thing doesn't reduce as the spring comes and temps rising because that is what the experts say, then we will have before summer the rest of the Europe and especially UK in Italy situation....
are the experts saying that warmer weather (ie lower relative humidity) WON'T help ??

I'm asking because the UK is now doubling its infection rate every 48 hrs
as with a nuke the doubling time is the thing
Yeah, they say here that when the raise in temperature comes the virus cannot survive. I dont know the specifics of this info but even Trump said the virus will end in summer based on this info from US Health Department

Anyway i google it and nothing is certain.. you can read this if you want
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... mers-heat/

hollus

Come the heat, the virus will survive in people just as well. But the people will cough and sneeze less, and whatever lands on a surface will stay viable much less, as in 5 minutes versus 5 hours. It is the spread that should slow down in hot weather.
Rivals, not enemies.