Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chene_Mostert

Re: Ferrari SF1000

nico5 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 11:13
siskue2005 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 01:36
LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 01:05

Left one is SF90. While at first sight one might think that they’re fairly similar in packaging, a closer look shows that the SF1000 is clearly slimmer in sidepod area. Actually it’s slimmer from sidepod area up until the coke bottle area. The coke bottle of the SF90 seems to be tighter, but it’s just an optical illusion in my opinion as the engine cover of the SF90 is fairly brighter so it’s curves towards coke bottle area get narrower more aggressively.
After superimposing and scaling and aligning both images shows that the SF1000 is same at the sidepods levels but fatter in the coke bottle region (or am i seeing things?)
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/751 ... 7f4d1f.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RBE6sDO.jpg
If you're willing to seek some embarrassment, superimpose the Merc :D
So we can see how long, and cuncky at the top the wii is? :D
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Ringleheim

f1316 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 01:55
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 01:05

Left one is SF90. While at first sight one might think that they’re fairly similar in packaging, a closer look shows that the SF1000 is clearly slimmer in sidepod area. Actually it’s slimmer from sidepod area up until the coke bottle area. The coke bottle of the SF90 seems to be tighter, but it’s just an optical illusion in my opinion as the engine cover of the SF90 is fairly brighter so it’s curves towards coke bottle area get narrower more aggressively.
After superimposing and scaling and aligning both images shows that the SF1000 is same at the sidepods levels but fatter in the coke bottle region (or am i seeing things?)
Yeah, I mean, visual impressions from above are that the one on the left is tighter.

I think this may derive from the shape though: from the side you can see how big the undercut is under the coke bottle on the new car, and this seems to be where the packaging focus is.
The dead overhead view is misleading; the new car has a super deep undercut as you say; from above it looks wider (and is wider) than last year's car, but from the side you can see how deeply that groove or undercut cuts in toward the engine/gearbox.

We know it has to be narrower b/c that is what all the top teams are trying to do all the time, year to year...make everything tighter back there for better aero performance. Most of the work these guys are doing nowadays is packaging. Trying to fit/shove all that stuff into smaller and smaller spaces.

One thing is for sure: these cars are freaking huge. Would love to see them get smaller.

nico5

Chene_Mostert wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 12:07
nico5 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Well, even if it's longer, the engine is mounted behind the fuel tank in the same position, it's only the transmission which varies. And Merc's packaging serves its DF-generating purpose certainly better. Ferrari probably can't treat themselves with such tight bodywork. Even Merc's got cooling issues from time to time, but the only fact they get away with such packaging and win championships is quite telling on the technological superiority that hold in this area, as, in fact, in almost any other (suspension dptm, aero correlation, production speed and complexity, simulation, etc.)

mmred

nico5 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 16:34
Chene_Mostert wrote:
nico5 wrote:

Well, even if it's longer, the engine is mounted behind the fuel tank in the same position, it's only the transmission which varies. And Merc's packaging serves its DF-generating purpose certainly better. Ferrari probably can't treat themselves with such tight bodywork. Even Merc's got cooling issues from time to time, but the only fact they get away with such packaging and win championships is quite telling on the technological superiority that hold in this area, as, in fact, in almost any other (suspension dptm, aero correlation, production speed and complexity, simulation, etc.)
Come on

Top teams are pretty similar today... And if there s still an advantage it Is subtle and at Great cost

Proof Is the extra track Battle that Is exacerbating... They fear each other

mmred

Ringleheim wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 14:46
f1316 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 01:55
siskue2005 wrote:

Yeah, I mean, visual impressions from above are that the one on the left is tighter.

I think this may derive from the shape though: from the side you can see how big the undercut is under the coke bottle on the new car, and this seems to be where the packaging focus is.
The dead overhead view is misleading; the new car has a super deep undercut as you say; from above it looks wider (and is wider) than last year's car, but from the side you can see how deeply that groove or undercut cuts in toward the engine/gearbox.

We know it has to be narrower b/c that is what all the top teams are trying to do all the time, year to year...make everything tighter back there for better aero performance. Most of the work these guys are doing nowadays is packaging. Trying to fit/shove all that stuff into smaller and smaller spaces.

One thing is for sure: these cars are freaking huge. Would love to see them get smaller.
Hybrid engines are huge! Ices alone have become vert compact

nico5

mmred wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 19:50
nico5 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 16:34
Chene_Mostert wrote:

Come on

Top teams are pretty similar today... And if there s still an advantage it Is subtle and at Great cost

Proof Is the extra track Battle that Is exacerbating... They fear each other
Well, wouldn't call a 7-10kph-difference in every slow corner (T5,T7,T10,T12,T13,T14) being pretty similar. And people go on chatting about downforce, when that is 80% down to mechanical grip. Also, something that was massively disregarded last year was the fact that Ferrari wasn't much quicker in the latter part of the straights compared to Merc in race trim, which, even assuming Merc's PU was more efficient, tells me Ferrari's drag wasn't humongously lower

mmred

Do you know that Mercedes Lost Monza Spa, Singapore right?
If It was unmatched It s strange that in some races It was beaten...

Another level?
Wait and see the real races

godlameroso

The team is already in Mel.
Saishū kōnā

mmred

godlameroso wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 00:06
The team is already in Mel.
The equipment for sure, i don't know if every people is already in Melbourne two weeks before the race.
Anyhow logistic will be, since they are disconnected from the fabric, if they Need spareparts and so on, right now, and from now on...hard
Same happens for alpha Tauri. Pirelli. And allitalian subcontractors ( i know some ).
While equipment can move, people cant so easily.

We ll see.
The disease is not italian based, so It s also possibile to see other country doing similar stuff sooner or later. French and Germany , where the First euro patient was, are changing numbers pretty fast.

Point Is this Championship starts with a big question mark. But as i said this Is my opinion.
The news Is the fabric Is in a Red area now

JonoNic

What if a chassis gets damaged? Do these teams have enough of these outside the red zone? Would a team push as hard knowing that their parts cannot be brought in from the factory?
Always find the gap then use it.

C Plinius Secundus

This situation may escalate even more, I'm not sure how many things they still manufacture there, but Bergamo is now on the red zone, and Brembo's factories are there... How many teams may be affected by that?
It's starting to get very scary... :shock:

mmred

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 15:35
This situation may escalate even more, I'm not sure how many things they still manufacture there, but Bergamo is now on the red zone, and Brembo's factories are there... How many teams may be affected by that?
It's starting to get very scary... :shock:
Brembo. I forgot that.

Giblet

Guys I'm not a mod anymore, but come on this is a car thread not a Coronavirus thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

aral

Giblet wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 16:04
Guys I'm not a mod anymore, but come on this is a car thread not a Coronavirus thread.
I fully agree ! The coronavirus has absolutely nothing to do with the SF1000, and posts referring to this and to any repercussions do not belong here. Coronavirus is now a worldwide issue, and various countries are taking their own steps to try and contain it. Already, Bahrain has banned spectators from the F1 GP ther ( if it even goes ahead!)

So, please restrict comments on this thread to actual hardware etc on the SF1000

HungarianRacer

New FW(?).: