2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

FIA's approval is nothing official IMO. It's at best a recommendation. A formal protest and differing interpretation by a steward could still get them disqualified AFAIK. Probably slim chance, but could happen.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Polite
Polite

TAG wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:48
kimetic wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:44
Mercedes haven't been developing DAS for all that time, and consulting with FIA since last July iirc, to tamely give it up now. They'll run it, and the stewards won't go against FIA, who give them their jobs.

Red Bull being upset probably means their analysis since testing shows it's rather effective.
Fully agree. They've got the FiA's approval and subsequent clarification of its legality. To not run it would be the wrong response after the effort.

mercedes asked for clarification of the rules and the FIA ​​replied that under the 2020 rules there were no irregularities but immediately making the DAS irregular for 2021 with the new regulation. we should therefore say that AMG found a loophole and FIA closed it for the 'next year. therefore it was not in the spirit of the regulation.

indeed there are many here who do not understand how the rules work and that the laws in general cannot be interpreted by those who are not in the sector.

TAG

Polite wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:57
TAG wrote:
kimetic wrote:

Mercedes haven't been developing DAS for all that time, and consulting with FIA since last July iirc, to tamely give it up now. They'll run it, and the stewards won't go against FIA, who give them their jobs.

Red Bull being upset probably means their analysis since testing shows it's rather effective.
Fully agree. They've got the FiA's approval and subsequent clarification of its legality. To not run it would be the wrong response after the effort.

mercedes asked for clarification of the rules and the FIA ​​replied that under the 2020 rules there were no irregularities but immediately making the DAS irregular for 2021 with the new regulation. we should therefore say that AMG found a loophole and FIA closed it for the 'next year. therefore it was not in the spirit of the regulation.

indeed there are many here who do not understand how the rules work and that the laws in general cannot be interpreted by those who are not in the sector.
You see what you want to see. This is no different than the T bars at the back of the shark fin. The only difference is that one was easy to implement, the other isn't If you think my comparison is wrong, I'd love to hear why.

EDIT: it was also banned for 2021 to prevent the development costs, they explicitly said that, not due to it being illegal or against the spirit of the rules.
Last edited by TAG on 11 Mar 2020, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

GPR-A

Polite wrote:
With that definition, I would go a step further and say, no one here should be commenting anything about F1 as almost no one is "in the sector". But what's life and Internet forums if not speculating ?

marvin78
marvin78

Speculating is ok. But far to many people state their "speculation" as facts. That's more than annoying.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Polite wrote:
TAG wrote:
kimetic wrote:

That is not what happened at all. The rules for 2021 was written before DAS appeared publicly. There is nothing changed in 2021 rules afterwards. Mercedes developed DAS for only 2020, knowing it wont be allowed in 2021. like 1000 other parts on these year's cars.

Anyhow, I really hope to see DAS used in this coming days and figure out the effect on the lap times.

gibells
gibells

The only way I can see DAS being allowed is if they can prove that it doesn't work in Parc ferme conditions. That is, in qualifying. Because it's a device altering the suspension settings of the car. If they can prove that they didn't use it, then I guess it will be fine. After that, during the race, it will be perfectly legal

etusch

Polite wrote:
TAG wrote:
kimetic wrote:

Agree.
This also shows Fia are how bad in conducting f1. If they had not approved das, mercedes were not going to work on it. And if it were a loophole in the rules that merc had found but fia wanted to close they could say no to merc. In this case, this kind of allowance is supporting merc. and banning it for next season is; saying to other teams " don't work on it, until you apply it I will ban it "
It looks like fia approved mercedes' system at first. now if they say for it, it is illegal then what will happen to merc's all works and money?
From every aspect fia sucks and looks like they are getting better on it.

kimetic
kimetic

gibells wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:19
The only way I can see DAS being allowed is if they can prove that it doesn't work in Parc ferme conditions. That is, in qualifying. Because it's a device altering the suspension settings of the car. If they can prove that they didn't use it, then I guess it will be fine. After that, during the race, it will be perfectly legal
It depends if you call it making an "adjustment". If it just moves a dynamically movable part then that's not a parc ferme "setting". And since the steering wheel isn't "fixed" that gets them neatly through the loophole. The fact that they closed the loophole for next year is a pretty solid sign the loophole exists for this year.

I think this is how FIA will encourage their stewards to see it.

the EDGE
the EDGE

I thought we had argued about DAS for long enough in its own thread...

We all have our own views, lets wait until Sunday for the answers

LM10
LM10

foxmulder_ms wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:13
Polite wrote:
TAG wrote:

That is not what happened at all. The rules for 2021 was written before DAS appeared publicly. There is nothing changed in 2021 rules afterwards. Mercedes developed DAS for only 2020, knowing it wont be allowed in 2021. like 1000 other parts on these year's cars.

Anyhow, I really hope to see DAS used in this coming days and figure out the effect on the lap times.
And you think that FIA just out of nowhere and without any connection to DAS rewrote the rules to forbid it in 2021? The rules might have been written before it was public, but Mercedes and the FIA had been in contact with regard to DAS already way before.

dans79

kimetic wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:32
gibells wrote:
It depends if you call it making an "adjustment". If it just moves a dynamically movable part then that's not a parc ferme "setting". And since the steering wheel isn't "fixed" that gets them neatly through the loophole. The fact that they closed the loophole for next year is a pretty solid sign the loophole exists for this year.

Not to mention DAS is parting of the steering system and that technically falls under a different set of rules than the suspension system.
197 104 103 7

dans79

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:35
And you think that FIA just out of nowhere and without any connection to DAS rewrote the rules to forbid it in 2021? The rules might have been written before it was public, but Mercedes and the FIA had been in contact with regard to DAS already way before.
Well then it's very much a case of the early bird catches the worm.
197 104 103 7

kimetic
kimetic

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:37
Not to mention DAS is parting of the steering system and that technically falls under a different set of rules than the suspension system.
Yes that too. I reckon it's more likely Red Bull will drop the protest than Mercedes will drop the system.

Polite
Polite

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:37
kimetic wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 16:32
gibells wrote:

no! for the tech rules, wheel rims and tyre are part of the suspension system... art. 1.6