2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

How about F1 gets Codemasters to complete F1 2020 ASAP and create an official drivers league and we can spectate their E-sports races. Car performance can be based on a theoretical scale based on the fastest times set with a compound that all teams actually used, so the fastest C4 tire times.

gshevlin

Liberty needs to raid the video vault and set up a streaming service of Classic Races to keep F1 on the radar while actual racing is not possible. They have 40 years of video assets.

strad

Liberty needs to raid the video vault and.....
Unless they can make money off it they won't do it. Don't be fooled into thinking they care about us. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

saviour stivala

Once a single member of any one team that have been preparing and setting-up to race have been tested positive there is no way that team is going to race because all those around him involved in race preparation are automatically under obligatory quarantine. And that will involve too many people of the team in question for said team to be able to operate (race). The disruption caused by the emergency action taken/imposed by the majority of countries hit by the epidemic makes it impossible to predict when the season racing will actually kick-off/start.

Ringleheim

gshevlin wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 03:47
Liberty needs to raid the video vault and set up a streaming service of Classic Races to keep F1 on the radar while actual racing is not possible. They have 40 years of video assets.
Or you could just go to Youtube and watch until your heart is content.

There is an amazing amount of stuff on there, going unpoliced.

I was just watching some good races from the '80s the other day.

Sevach

strad wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 04:28
Liberty needs to raid the video vault and.....
Unless they can make money off it they won't do it. Don't be fooled into thinking they care about us. :wink:
Even if it's not outright money right away it's important to keep the audience engaged and your brand(and your sponsors) in the eyes of the public.

JonoNic

Official response from Formula One about the cancellation.

All I see are guys passing a microphone around. They are not taking this seriously.

https://youtu.be/jALjNJdNFLg
Always find the gap then use it.

the EDGE

gshevlin wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 03:47
I don't understand... sky F1 are constantly playing past races already, some days they play-out every session from p1 to buildup to race day in a row

Does this not happen on other platforms?

Morteza

Interesting read from Mark Hughes. It sheds light on how things turned out the way they did
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

etusch

Today I heard on radio news that china started to closing hospitals which are established for the virus. I think it is breaking point. Maybe a month more and we can talk about wars and imigrants instead of virus.

the EDGE

etusch wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 08:34
Today I heard on radio news that china started to closing hospitals which are established for the virus. I think it is breaking point. Maybe a month more and we can talk about wars and imigrants instead of virus.
China went into lockdown to stop the virus spreading. If the rest of the world did the same then you could be correct... they haven’t

zibby43

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 00:48
zibby43 wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 00:47
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 00:44
I’ll put this in context.

If Kimi, Lewis and Seb have left then every WDC on the grid has pretty much said ‘screw this’.
I haven't seen anything that confirms Lewis has left.
Hence why I said ‘If’.
Sorry for any confusion, but I was attempting to ask whether you had seen that reported, because that was the first I had heard of Lewis leaving.

In any event, that was absolutely the case. All 3 of them left early!

Just saw it confirmed by Mark Hughes.

topleb

Thank God, the universe is a safer place, now the AGP has been cancelled. Nobel prizes now will be delivered to all those participated their precious insights of why cancelling the GP would achieve world peace and safety.

On a more serious note, if this GP is cancelled, I'm not sure why would any other GP roll because every other country has more or less a similar situation.

bosyber

Well, according to Mark Hughes and others, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo were going into that teams meeting determined not to go racing, and Kimi had already said he thought racing wasn't a good idea, while Seb' also had aired 'doubts' (ie. polite, sticking to FIA line, but still saying it isn't a good idea IMO); Those two leaving makes clear sense

Lewis Hamilton had already made clear he wasn't happy about racing, and I suppose while Toto got into the meeting feeling they could race, their company HQ shared (with mood in Germany, Bavaria now closing schools etc. down and others closing more and more, no real surprise) Hamilton's feeling, so no surprise he was gone as well.

We haven't heard about the other drivers (suppose Norris, Sainz Jr. may have some forms to deal with perhaps though?), but why stick around until F1/FOM,FIA, organisers and the local government played chicken with who could wait the longest to cancel?

As for other GP's, well, McLaren won't be able make it at least to Bahrain in a week, and Vietnam is why Chase Carey was in the air rather than in AUS being decisive (I would make that his defence, at least); let's see what he discussed, but Hughes and Joe Saward at least suggest that one to be 'postponed' too, and expectations to only resume racing in June.

Espresso

topleb wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 10:15
Thank God, the universe is a safer place, now the AGP has been cancelled. Nobel prizes now will be delivered to all those participated their precious insights of why cancelling the GP would achieve world peace and safety.

On a more serious note, if this GP is cancelled, I'm not sure why would any other GP roll because every other country has more or less a similar situation.
Well it's exactly as Mark Hughes explains and Hamilton screamed out....it's all about Money.

So expect a nice soap-serie

'The cancelling adventures in F1'
Who is the first to blink (or has his back to the wall) as the one cancelling is the one liable.
Don't miss a thrilling episode.....

https://the-race.com/formula-1/australi ... ide-story/
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide