2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

I have just watched the video with the four "bosses" explaining and apologising. I cannot believe they were passing a common microphone around like that!!!
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Ringleheim

We are less than 10 hours away from what should have been qualifying! I was really looking forward to that, after all the testing discussion. Wanted to see the pecking order and how big the gaps were.

Oh well, it was not meant to be!

Artur Craft

djos wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:35
I’d be very surprised if it got called off, the Australian government actually waited till all the Italian team members had arrived before banning Italians from travelling to Australia.

Trust me, it’s going ahead.
#-o :lol:

Scorpaguy

I am old and seen a lot of things. Still, the treatment of the fans, marshals, and general public by F1 in this fiasco is near unprecedented. Those condemning the departure of teams from Europe may in fact be justified in their consternation. However, it was clear 3-4 days ago the race should not/could not proceed. Furthermore, the race WAS cancelled 12ish hrs prior to scheduled activities...yet they allowed, no orchestrated the movement of thousands of people into a close proximity situation in the midst of a global pandemic. Surely this is criminal, chargeable gross negligence at any rate.

PlatinumZealot

I blame the Australian authoirites.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

Artur Craft wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 02:25
djos wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 11:35
I’d be very surprised if it got called off, the Australian government actually waited till all the Italian team members had arrived before banning Italians from travelling to Australia.

Trust me, it’s going ahead.
#-o :lol:
Indeed, well it took them a hell of a long time to cancel.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Scorpaguy wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 05:51
I am old and seen a lot of things. Still, the treatment of the fans, marshals, and general public by F1 in this fiasco is near unprecedented. Those condemning the departure of teams from Europe may in fact be justified in their consternation. However, it was clear 3-4 days ago the race should not/could not proceed. Furthermore, the race WAS cancelled 12ish hrs prior to scheduled activities...yet they allowed, no orchestrated the movement of thousands of people into a close proximity situation in the midst of a global pandemic. Surely this is criminal, chargeable gross negligence at any rate.
Let’s not forget the teams etc sent a ship load of stuff (by sea obviously) 6 weeks before the race so there was quite a bit of momentum to stop.
"In downforce we trust"

Spacepace

Could be watching a race right now ☹️

dtro

Ringleheim wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 23:27
We are less than 10 hours away from what should have been qualifying! I was really looking forward to that, after all the testing discussion. Wanted to see the pecking order and how big the gaps were.

Oh well, it was not meant to be!
Guess we all head back to the speculation threads :cry:

etusch

Formula 1's managing director Ross Brawn has announced F1's plans to move postponed races to the August summer break due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The season-opening Australian Grand Prix was cancelled after a member from the McLaren team tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, with the following rounds in Bahrain, Vietnam and China also postponed.

With F1 now targeting to start the season with May's Monaco Grand Prix, Brawn believes that the season can still be saved with the use of the summer break, traditionally a four-week break in August, to host the postponed races.

"Maybe we take a hiatus, we take a pause - and then we use that opportunity to say right, for this time at the beginning of the year we won't have any races, we'll look at relocating those races later in the year," Brawn told Sky Sports F1.

"I think by freeing up the August break, we give ourselves several weekends where we can have a race. And I think we can build a pretty decent calendar for the rest of the year.

"It will look different, but it will still preserve a good number of races, and they're exciting races. So the season's going to start later, but I think it will be just as entertaining."

Triple-header with two-day weekends 'could be an option'
With the first four races of the season now not going ahead, there is no confirmation as to what will happen to the Dutch and Spanish Grands Prix, which are set to take place prior to the Monaco Grand Prix in May.

However, Brawn affirmed that F1 is looking at a number of options in order to have as many races as possible for the season, one of which is a return to a triple-header weekend, last saw in F1 in 2018 with the French, Austrian and British Grands Prix.

"One thing we have been talking about is two-day weekends, and therefore if we have a triple header with two-day weekends, that could be an option," Brawn added.

"I'm pretty optimistic that we can have a good 17-18 race championship or more. I think we can squeeze them in. But it depends on when the season will start."

From
gptoday.net

FrukostScones

Spacepace wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 06:24
Could be watching a race right now ☹️
https://www.twitch.tv/veloce_esports

apparently Lando Norris is racing in this race ...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

etusch

Just_a_fan

Good to see other teams helped McLaren and their quarantined guys.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mjTm4x-X4U
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

etusch

07 June Azerbaijan Baku
June 14 Canada, Montreal
28 June France Le Castelle
05 July Austria Spielberg
July 19 Great Britain Silverstone
July 26, Spain Barcelona
August 02 Hungary Budapest
August 23, Netherlands Zandvoort
August 30 Belgium Spa
September 6, Italy Monza
September 20 Singapore Singapore
September 27 Russia Sochi
October 4 * Vietnam Hanoi
October 11 Japan Suzuka
18 October * Vietnam Hanoi
October 25 USA Austin
01 November Mexico Mexico City
November 15 Brazil Sao paulo
November 29 Bahrain Sakhir
December 6 Abu Dhabi Yas Marina
Last edited by etusch on 17 Mar 2020, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.