Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wowgr8

Re: Ferrari SF1000

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... one-rossa/

Australia spec SF1000 won't see the light of day, Ferrari to start the season with the Spec B car planned for Zandvoort. Simone Resta & co will have worked on the nose area especially.

PU will also undergo development, specifically the combustion chamber concept, apparently they're working on a "warmer pre-chamber"

Sevach

On a closed factory? How?

Aero guys can do some work from home, but they'll still need to run on the wind tunnel.
Likewise engine guys with dyno.

santos

Sevach wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 04:09

Aero guys can do some work from home, but they'll still need to run on the wind tunnel.
Aren't they limited on time used on wind tunnel? Maybe they can work on CFD for now.

Just_a_fan

santos wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:29
Sevach wrote:

Aren't they limited on time used on wind tunnel? Maybe they can work on CFD for now.
A. they're limited on CFD time too
B. they would need to have been set up, before all of this, with remote systems to allow access to the CFD system in the factory
C. someone needs to be able to maintain the servers etc. Any issues that can't be remotely sorted needs people in the building.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cramr

Sevach wrote:

I think I've seen somewhere that the Wind Tunnel is still working as well as the engineering side of the F1. What has been stopped is the production plant.

Working remote should be possible if they manage to get some secure connections to the internal servers via Internet. They do that for the races so should not be a big drama to move some services to the racetrack servers. The question is if the servers can manage such increase in traffic

saviour stivala

FERRARI shuts down ‘all operations’ until at least March 29 and that includes ‘F1 operations’.

mmred

cramr wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 13:30
Sevach wrote:

I think I've seen somewhere that the Wind Tunnel is still working as well as the engineering side of the F1. What has been stopped is the production plant.

Working remote should be possible if they manage to get some secure connections to the internal servers via Internet. They do that for the races so should not be a big drama to move some services to the racetrack servers. The question is if the servers can manage such increase in traffic
The whole Ges has stopped. Insiders

aral

A reminder.....this thread is about the actual car and its hardware etc. If you want to discuss the team etc, could you please use the team thread. Thanks

ScrewCaptain27

The “variable Ackermann” system as used by Mercedes is apparently on the Ferrari too, according to Giorgio Piola!
Source (Italian) https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... 0/4773419/
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

PlatinumZealot

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 21:24
The “variable Ackermann” system as used by Mercedes is apparently on the Ferrari too, according to Giorgio Piola!
So what they are suggesting is Ferrari has a Semi-DAS basically?

Except this might be more advanced but not driver controlled.

This too would be banned acording to the proposed regs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

markc

So maybe Mercedes DAS is really just designed to get Ferrari's system banned... ?

Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 21:13
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 21:24
So what they are suggesting is Ferrari has a Semi-DAS basically?

Except this might be more advanced but not driver controlled.

This too would be banned acording to the proposed regs.
From what i understood it's linked to how much the driver steers, progressive ackerman, 45 degree angle steering input you get a certain level of action, 90 degrees and you get "more ackerman" and so on... which is sure to have an effect on how they set up toe.

Technically still driver controlled, but passive rather than "i'm gonna use it now".

PlatinumZealot

The driver cannot vary its response is what i meant.

Are passivley moving parts allowed on the upright I wonder? Reason why i ask because to vary the ackerman either its the rack or the upright has to have extra moving parts. It is hard to see how Piola got evidence that the rack is split into two (or has varying width as does DAS)... Rumours? Otherwise it would be the upright has an extra joint to the steering knuckle... Hmm

:idea: :idea:

I have an idea. Will make a new thread.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henry

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 05:40
The driver cannot vary its response is what i meant.

Are passivley moving parts allowed on the upright I wonder? Reason why i ask because to vary the ackerman either its the rack or the upright has to have extra moving parts. It is hard to see how Piola got evidence that the rack is split into two (or has varying width as does DAS)... Rumours? Otherwise it would be the upright has an extra joint to the steering knuckle... Hmm

:idea: :idea:

I have an idea. Will make a new thread.
You don’t need parts on the upright. All you need to do is vary the location of the inboard rose joint in relation to the rack. A simple swash plate/screw on each end of the end of the rack would do it. Then some levers or cams or whatever connected to the steering column can vary the Ackerman by rotating the swash and affecting the toe.

There are other ways of varying the toe by varying the position of the roses in other planes but this will do as an illustration.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

PlatinumZealot

I have a simpler solution. That doesnt need any more joints than normal, nor swash plates. Swash plate with a desmo-cam would work too. But i have something simpler i need to sketch first tobsee if it works. A new thread if it does.

Think of a biological joint...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏