Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Red Bull RB16

Comparison between the new bargeboard upgrades of 2nd Barcelona test, 1st test and Mercedes W11
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dandfx

I'm not an aero expert but comparing the two above it seems the newer design pushes more air outboard and upwards. Would this update make more down force (just the elements themselves, not flow on effects) and much more outwash? I'm quite curious about how much outwash teams are creating for their benefit after the front wing regulation change.

basti313

I do not think the direction is different, this would invalidate all data from the first test. RedBull usually shows up with an easy version at the first test, not much fins and details and refines this until the start of the season. The slotted boards in my point of view are a refined version to mainly reduce drag.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan

The slotted board will obviously change flow direction - one only has to look at it to see it will send flow upwards. Remember the flow hitting that board will be moving from inside to outside as well as from car front to car back. So the flaps will produce a number of similar vortices. Similar vortices combine to produce a large effect which is what they'll be trying to achieve. This whole area is about setting up the flow to limit movement under the floor's edge. Roll up a strong vortex and run it along the top of the floor edge and you can reduce the movement of air from above the floor to under the floor - the so-called "sealing of the floor".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

It enchances a Vortex. Pretty much like a twirl. It doesn't cause a bulk upward motion as you would think by looking at it.

Near the floor the vortex curls outboard... This helps maintain that one. My theory at least!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

wowgr8

Is the RB16 the only car on the grid not running the POU offset? If it is running it, does anyone have good pictures?

SiLo

wowgr8 wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 09:14
Is the RB16 the only car on the grid not running the POU offset? If it is running it, does anyone have good pictures?
It is, I'm sure there are images of it further back in the thread.
Felipe Baby!

Blackout

bill shoe

What is "POU"? If I know that then I'll probably be able to figure out what "POU offset" is.

EDIT: POU = Pushrod On Upright. POU offset = pushrod's bottom point is inboard of Upright's steer axis.

Just_a_fan

bill shoe wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 23:06
What is "POU"? If I know that then I'll probably be able to figure out what "POU offset" is.
Pushrod On Upright.

The new fangled offset POU is where they have a big brackety thingy pointing inboard which the pushrod then attaches to.

godlameroso

That gap between the lower and second lowest plane is a nice way to speed up airflow to that serrated part of the tea-tray. Little details like this is what lead me to believe this car is a winner, shame we have to wait another month or two.
Saishū kōnā

Godius

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 19:42
https://i.postimg.cc/9FxxDjgz/13-rb16-headon.jpg

That gap between the lower and second lowest plane is a nice way to speed up airflow to that serrated part of the tea-tray. Little details like this is what lead me to believe this car is a winner, shame we have to wait another month or two.
The air going through there won't get to the tea tray.

bill shoe

A technical post about aero! Right or wrong it's lovely! Like the flowers coming out in spring...