[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 12:35
NiyolHuayra wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:39
And bring back the chrome wit the papaya :D

The Chrome paint is to heavy... One of the reasons they went with matt finish this year...
McLaren worked closely with AkzoNobel to develop a chrome paint that was far, far lighter than any standard chrome paint out there but given the car’s are so massive now (approaching 6m long) the small percentage difference means you’re right. Would still be feasible to see the odd little flash of chrome like the blue that has featured in the last few years though.

Macklaren

Jackles-UK wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 13:02
mclaren111 wrote:
NiyolHuayra wrote:

The Chrome paint is to heavy... One of the reasons they went with matt finish this year...
McLaren worked closely with AkzoNobel to develop a chrome paint that was far, far lighter than any standard chrome paint out there but given the car’s are so massive now (approaching 6m long) the small percentage difference means you’re right. Would still be feasible to see the odd little flash of chrome like the blue that has featured in the last few years though.
Agreed that would look great but the biggest issue with chrome is that sponsor names/logos are unreadable. And with the team/world going toward many/smaller sponsors instead of a few/large sponsors before, that could be a problem

proteus

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:05
proteus wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:52
I dont like where this is going. Once again they are trying to bite more than they can chew. If this was old Mclaren with big fat title sponsorship, best technical staff, factory engine and official lubricants and fuel partner, then this might work (it didnt with switch to Honda), but in the position they are in i dont think they can pull it off.

It would be better to lay low as they did for 2019 season and wait for the right moment to seize another factory deal and official petrochemichal partner. Focus to be 4th best, even if that means 2,3,4 seasons. Still better than risk it all and crash and burn. They are on dangerous field right now, they have fallen from elite position, last season they climbed back up the order a bit, buty they are far from their financial security of the past, operating with half of the budget.

In current position chances for beating any of top 3 teams are almost zero.

I don't think the situations are compareable. The Merc Pu is a known quantity while at the time the Honda PU was a big unknown.

They have said in the past that they wouldn't be able to compete with the top 3 immediatley after the budget cap intrioduction. So this might be something they do to collected Merc PU data in 2021 to be better prepared in 2022. Don't forget there is s till gonna be a budget cap in 2021 for everyone so nobody ios gonna have the things you mentioned.

Plus with the new regs PU suppliers have to share PU, engine maps and fuel. There nolonger isn't a reason that a non "works" partner can't win.
I highly doubt it will be as ideal as you wrote. Imagine Sauber, or Haas beating a Ferrari. It would be a scandal of epic proportions.

Budget cap has its hidden secrets and grey areas that will be exploited massively by manufacturers. The way this sport has been cahnged and steered to, is absolutely far from being fair and competitive. Mclaren has no chances in current state of their position and in the current state of the sport. That is the fact and it pisses me off.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

NiyolHuayra

mclaren111 wrote:
NiyolHuayra wrote:

yea, I know but would love to see it maybe just in testing or just a picture :D

NiyolHuayra

According to https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/24/mc ... ower-unit/ McLaren can alter the chassis for 2021.

diffuser

proteus wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 21:56
diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:05
proteus wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:52
I dont like where this is going. Once again they are trying to bite more than they can chew. If this was old Mclaren with big fat title sponsorship, best technical staff, factory engine and official lubricants and fuel partner, then this might work (it didnt with switch to Honda), but in the position they are in i dont think they can pull it off.

It would be better to lay low as they did for 2019 season and wait for the right moment to seize another factory deal and official petrochemichal partner. Focus to be 4th best, even if that means 2,3,4 seasons. Still better than risk it all and crash and burn. They are on dangerous field right now, they have fallen from elite position, last season they climbed back up the order a bit, buty they are far from their financial security of the past, operating with half of the budget.

In current position chances for beating any of top 3 teams are almost zero.

I don't think the situations are compareable. The Merc Pu is a known quantity while at the time the Honda PU was a big unknown.

They have said in the past that they wouldn't be able to compete with the top 3 immediatley after the budget cap intrioduction. So this might be something they do to collected Merc PU data in 2021 to be better prepared in 2022. Don't forget there is s till gonna be a budget cap in 2021 for everyone so nobody ios gonna have the things you mentioned.

Plus with the new regs PU suppliers have to share PU, engine maps and fuel. There nolonger isn't a reason that a non "works" partner can't win.
I highly doubt it will be as ideal as you wrote. Imagine Sauber, or Haas beating a Ferrari. It would be a scandal of epic proportions.

Budget cap has its hidden secrets and grey areas that will be exploited massively by manufacturers. The way this sport has been cahnged and steered to, is absolutely far from being fair and competitive. Mclaren has no chances in current state of their position and in the current state of the sport. That is the fact and it pisses me off.

The way I look at it is things will be alot more evenly matched than they are now. Hopefully, to the point that a midfield team will have a chance. Also Liberty will close loop holes over time.

Andres125sx

proteus wrote:
Imagine Sauber, or Haas beating a Ferrari. It would be a scandal of epic proportions.
Agree, but only because Sauber and Haas are midfielders whose budget is... well, actually both budgets toghether are still far from Ferrari budget

But McLaren is not Saber or Haas, currently their budget is not that far, but that´s also the reason currently McLaren have zero chances to beat Mercedes. If their budget becomes similar to Mercedes at some point, and they manage to beat Mercedes, then it will not be any scandal

Or it was a scandal when RBR won 8 titles with a Renault engine beating Renault works team?

SmallSoldier

Andres125sx wrote:
proteus wrote:
Imagine Sauber, or Haas beating a Ferrari. It would be a scandal of epic proportions.
Agree, but only because Sauber and Haas are midfielders whose budget is... well, actually both budgets toghether are still far from Ferrari budget

But McLaren is not Saber or Haas, currently their budget is not that far, but that´s also the reason currently McLaren have zero chances to beat Mercedes. If their budget becomes similar to Mercedes at some point, and they manage to beat Mercedes, then it will not be any scandal

Or it was a scandal when RBR won 8 titles with a Renault engine beating Renault works team?
Their budget isn’t far? Ferrari and Mercedes budget exceed 400 million and Mclaren’s exceed 200 million... They spent twice as much as Mclaren roughly... That’s not close at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag

To be honest at the moment I think McLaren has a budget closer to 300 million. They have invested a lot lately with stuff like the wind tunnel and they preparing themselves to operate at the budget cap when it finally rolls out. And the budget cap is at 175$ million, but if you put there the other expenses that are not included in the budget cap, it goes closer to 300 million.

Andres125sx

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 17:19
Andres125sx wrote:
proteus wrote:

Their budget isn’t far? Ferrari and Mercedes budget exceed 400 million and Mclaren’s exceed 200 million... They spent twice as much as Mclaren roughly... That’s not close at all

I meant far from Sauber or Haas budget

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:To be honest at the moment I think McLaren has a budget closer to 300 million. They have invested a lot lately with stuff like the wind tunnel and they preparing themselves to operate at the budget cap when it finally rolls out. And the budget cap is at 175$ million, but if you put there the other expenses that are not included in the budget cap, it goes closer to 300 million.
The wind tunnel is an investment from the Mclaren Group, not the F1 team... Not only that, it would be considered CAPEX investment and therefore not part of the team’s operational budget

proteus

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 12:48
proteus wrote:

Mclaren has half of the budget that each of top three teams have. They have no factory engine and no official fuel/lubricant supplier. They would need to discover something revolutionary, but ultimately cheap if they would want to be on top again. And i sadly dont believe this will happen. Budget cap will only make the gap even bigger, you will see. All 3 bigspenders will invest massive sums of money for the rule change and will be infront right from the start, and everybody else will be playing catch the dragon.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

strad

No more of a scandal than when this little bug of a Cooper appeared and won. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:22
Emag wrote:To be honest at the moment I think McLaren has a budget closer to 300 million. They have invested a lot lately with stuff like the wind tunnel and they preparing themselves to operate at the budget cap when it finally rolls out. And the budget cap is at 175$ million, but if you put there the other expenses that are not included in the budget cap, it goes closer to 300 million.
The wind tunnel is an investment from the Mclaren Group, not the F1 team... Not only that, it would be considered CAPEX investment and therefore not part of the team’s operational budget

I think the wind tunnel would fall under the budget cap if there was one now. At any rate there are at least 2 teams that are building new one presently.

SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:22

I think the wind tunnel would fall under the budget cap if there was one now. At any rate there are at least 2 teams that are building new one presently.
I really don’t know if it would be considered, but in theory it shouldn’t... What could be considered as part of the budget cap is the portion of it’s depreciation based on the usage by the F1 team. This would make it comparable to paying for a wind tunnel time at someone else’s.