COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 16:08
Wass85 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 15:09
The longer this goes on the harder it will be for Hamilton to match and break Schumacher's records.
I think the opposite to be fair, if the Merc chassis is as good as what is rumoured this year, and thereby next year as well due to the chassis freeze then I'd say Hamilton is almost a Schu in (lol I'm sorry) for titles 7 and 8.
Which components make up the chassis? Aerodynamics are apart from that. Mercedes obviously has very good aerodynamics. Didn’t hear anything regarding chassis.
I think teams shouldn’t be that upset about chassis being the same next year.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 16:20
Which components make up the chassis? Aerodynamics are apart from that. Mercedes obviously has very good aerodynamics. Didn’t hear anything regarding chassis.
I think teams shouldn’t be that upset about chassis being the same next year.
Basically nothing is changing, so the cars won't be much different from last year. Everything will be slight derivations of what we have already seen.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

ajdavison2 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 16:08
Wass85 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 15:09
The longer this goes on the harder it will be for Hamilton to match and break Schumacher's records.
I think the opposite to be fair, if the Merc chassis is as good as what is rumoured this year, and thereby next year as well due to the chassis freeze then I'd say Hamilton is almost a Schu in (lol I'm sorry) for titles 7 and 8.
I haven't been following the latest news on F1 after seeing it's been postponed for the time being. I know there was talks of leaving the regulation changes to 2022, has this been confirmed yet?

And I'm not so sure, imagine if he caught the virus once the season starts. Less races give you less leeway and less opportunity to stack up the wins.

RZS10

basti313 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 11:16
You realized, that they changed the criteria yesterday?
[...]
This is not correct. The numbers are always counted on the day of the test, also if they are recorded later.
I only saw that they adjusted the criteria for who will get tested - not who will be counted as a positive case - the adjusted criteria are supposed to lessen the burden on the labs.

From yesterday's [24.3.] daily briefing:
"Es werden nur Fälle veröffentlicht, bei denen eine labordiagnostische Bestätigung unabhängig vom klinischen Bild vorliegt."
You understand it i guess but for the others:
"We only publish [in this context count] cases that have been confirmed in a lab, independent from the clinical symptoms"

Depends on what you look at, the RKI, yep, they count the cases towards the day the test was taken on. They now changed how they view the case numbers in their dashboard, it's the 'lag' i described with everything going through the official channels ('Meldeprozess') - the other dashboard to my understanding takes the numbers as they come, thus having different numbers for each day compared to the RKI numbers.

In monday's presser he explicitly mentioned that not all health offices and not all states had reported their numbers over the weekend.

In today's presser he described the entire 'Meldeprozess' (6:30 minutes into the video), and again confirmed what i mentioned about some local health authorities ['Gesundheitsämter'] not reporting their numbers over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/NFuIphb0WaU

He talked about the relatively low death numbers in Germany, something many have wondered about.
- they don't know exactly why that is the case
- it's definitely not underreporting
- Germany managed to 'find' or confirm many mild cases
- low number of old people infected (from the dashboard it's at around 1000 of 80+yo)
25 Mar 2020, 13:44
in Germany they process 1200 tests a day
Where'd you get that number?

According to the RKI it currently is at around 160000 a week (~22800 per day) with testing capacities being expanded continuously.
There have been 35000 tests in the first week of March, from the 9th to the 15th it was 100000 tests, those numbers do not include tests done in hospitals.
Bavaria alone can do several thousand tests a day (up to 30k in 300 labs)
A single lab can process 100 tests per day.

The labs are still overburdened for various reasons - that's what Phil has already mentioned in this thread.

sources:
https://www.quarks.de/gesundheit/medizi ... -der-test/
https://rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/leverk ... d-49272411

The university clinic in Hamburg is working on a quick and cheap test for recovered cases, they believe that they can check whether someone had the virus and has developed antibodies - they will start using the test this friday.

They believe that first human vaccine trials could be done in June.

https://www.oldenburger-onlinezeitung.d ... 37342.html
https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/ratgeber/ ... .bild.html

And properly on topic: Given how this all develops i wonder what the chances are that we will have a season spanning two years?
They could run the races normally once it's possible and then do the early races that had to be canceled next year (the main issue being contracts etc).

Big Tea

According to BBC HRH Prince of Wales has tested positive now too. Its not just us ordinary people
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

How on earth has a thread about covid-19 been turned into a thread about the Mclaren 35? it makes it far easier and more sensible to stick to the actual topic. If you want to talk Mclaren, then go to either the car thread or the team thread........PLEASE !

Big Tea

aral wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:10
How on earth has a thread about covid-19 been turned into a thread about the Mclaren 35? it makes it far easier and more sensible to stick to the actual topic. If you want to talk Mclaren, then go to either the car thread or the team thread........PLEASE !
Must be a virus
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mmred

Honestly, as sauber director said, who cares about f1 anymore?

It s a sport meant to bring fun, when death is around there s no much fun to live

PlatinumZealot

mmred wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 22:44
Honestly, as sauber director said, who cares about f1 anymore?

It s a sport meant to bring fun, when death is around there s no much fun to live
Of course their main priority right now is health and safety. But F1 will return. The same trolls and fanbois willbe back in their elements after this pandemic has passed.

I am more disgusted at the business men who ignored the potential threat of this virus. Cash is king as Hamilton said. They are only reacting now to protect their profits.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

humble sabot

To be fair, the window for closing down the Melbourne GP was a moving target. The only "right" time to cancel [postpone indefinitely] a race is before the gear is on the ships. But that was never an option for the Melbourne race. It's a 4, 5 day event, there remained by the time of load-in a possibility that it wouldn't be a significant risk just just yet and the whole schedule could be squeezed under the gun. By maybe a day. But by the time second line personnel (people who show up in company jets) were arriving and stuff was being set up the worldwide situation had collapsed.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

strad

So now we have young people hosting Corona Virus Parties?
Others going through supermarkets making videos of themselves licking random goods on the shelf? Anything for attention?
Seriously? Covidiots!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

i70q7m7ghw

There are some murmurs that Liberty might soon sell their stake in F1, effectively "cashing out" amid the ongoing crisis...

izzy

strad wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 23:32
So now we have young people hosting Corona Virus Parties?
Others going through supermarkets making videos of themselves licking random goods on the shelf? Anything for attention?
Seriously? Covidiots!!
apparently there was a 73-year-old saying it'll all be over in time for Easter, just goes to show!

but seriously there's a lot of awesomeness going on too, like the various ventilator projects and people looking after each other and all the research. It depends where you look, what you see. Tho yes some people get carried away. Last year they discovered selfies are 5 times more dangerous than sharks! It's all so much like F1, a mixture of awesomeness, cockups, frustration, but ultimately people winning collectively with cooperation, that's what we're going to see, even with Orange Donald doing his best to annoy the country that makes most of the medical gear

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:01
There are some murmurs that Liberty might soon sell their stake in F1, effectively "cashing out" amid the ongoing crisis...
Strange to panic sell at the bottom, no?

i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:05
Diesel wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 00:01
Strange to panic sell at the bottom, no?
Not a panic sell, bit of detail here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... jp-morgan/

F1 is effectively at risk of bankrupcy, the commercial rights are one of the only things it could sell...