Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316

Re: Ferrari SF1000

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 05:40
It is hard to see how Piola got evidence that the rack is split into two (or has varying width as does DAS)... Rumours? Otherwise it would be the upright has an extra joint to the steering knuckle... Hmm
They said the information was sent to motorsport.com. Perhaps from a rival team (perhaps Mercedes)?

Either way it sounds like a tip off.

Just_a_fan

f1316 wrote:
30 Mar 2020, 12:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 05:40
It is hard to see how Piola got evidence that the rack is split into two (or has varying width as does DAS)... Rumours? Otherwise it would be the upright has an extra joint to the steering knuckle... Hmm
They said the information was sent to motorsport.com. Perhaps from a rival team (perhaps Mercedes)?

Either way it sounds like a tip off.
Where it comes from might be best figured out by looking at who has left Ferrari recently and where they've gone. That's usually how stuff gets out.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

I did the design sketch of the split rack anyway. Drawing it in 3D is a different kettle of fish but i will artempt it as I did with the DAS.

My idea was a rolling joint, such as in your knee or ankle but that takes some time to iron out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

f1316

Where’s the other thread? Probably me being dim but couldn’t find it.

It’s now also on EN motorsport.com https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pas- ... s/4775662/
Some questioned whether Ferrari was simply covering its back by those comments, but investigative work has now uncovered why the Italian outfit has not been so alarmed: because it has been running a system that mimics much of the benefits of DAS since the middle of last year.

In fact, as Motorsport.com can reveal, the concept – codenamed PAS (Power Assisted Steering) by insiders – has been so solid that it has been taken by Haas for its 2020 VF-20 car.

MtthsMlw

To quote Vettel:
"We have a lot of clever people. There is a lot stuff that is hidden in the car that I guess will sooner or later come out. We believe it is quite big and hopefully will give us an edge."

On the SF1000 it looks similar to the one from Le Castellet

henry

The eccentric location of the steering arm pickup points in relation to the housing might suggest that the pickup points might be moved by rotating them within the housing. Hence the additional phrase in the regulation banning such systems. The x separation might not change but the toe separation would.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

wowgr8

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 12:01
To quote Vettel:
"We have a lot of clever people. There is a lot stuff that is hidden in the car that I guess will sooner or later come out. We believe it is quite big and hopefully will give us an edge."
When did he say this? What was he referring to?

saviour stivala

Sabastian Vettel #5 on twitter FEB 13. “We have a lot of clever people, there is a lot of stuff hidden in the car that sooner or later will come out. We believe it’s quit big & hopefully it gives us an edge”.

saviour stivala

Vettel didn't say what the big 'hidden' stuff is so as to give some poeple all the time and scope to speculate, more so now that the racing is at a standstill.

MtthsMlw

wowgr8 wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 07:24
MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 12:01
To quote Vettel:
When did he say this? What was he referring to?
Said this after the car reveal, speaking generally about the car.

Just_a_fan

If DAS is banned next year, rather than at the change of rules, will the FIA also ban the other "clever" systems used by others such as the above for Ferrari? Or do those get a pass?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

How does the Ferrari system differ from the Mercedes system?
Felipe Baby!

aral

If ackerman works automatically, then it is legal. if the change of toe-in requires a physical input from the driver, then it is illegal. but of course it will be up to the stewards and FIA to police the rule AS IT IS WRITTEN. no point in speculating at this moment in time.

henry

aral wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 16:25
If ackerman works automatically, then it is legal. if the change of toe-in requires a physical input from the driver, then it is illegal. but of course it will be up to the stewards and FIA to police the rule AS IT IS WRITTEN. no point in speculating at this moment in time.
You just did.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

SiLo wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 15:55
How does the Ferrari system differ from the Mercedes system?
I think they might be very similar. As I noted in an earlier post the Ferrari ball joint is mounted eccentrically to what seems to be the rack axis. The Mercedes is similar with a lever running from the axis of the rack forward to the ball joint.

The lever is next to the yellow finger on the right.