So what will F1 teams do this year?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy

Re: So what will F1 teams do this year?

Jolle wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 13:52
I don't agree with you. Yes it's terrible that my profession is changing, there will be I suspect, less events in the future and so be it. Our society is too fragile to so it seems. My job (or anyone in the entertainment industry) isn't more important then doctors that can't do their job because there are just too many ill people. This time it's not about the economy but about a healthcare system that can't cope with this amount of very sick people at once.

not a single one of my colleagues, companies or any stakeholders I know is calling for a reopening. Just the rich with acces to private hospitals.
i'm not saying now, or that anybody is more or less important, just that eventually there will be a crossover, because society can't just stop. Jobs have to be done, wealth has to be created otherwise all the systems will fail

So lockdown is a temporary thing, it can't be maintained until the epidemic is 'over'. i don't think any healthcare system could be big enough for a virus as contagious as this one, we can only react, minimise the risk and then in the end balance the risk from the pandemic against the risks from creating so much less wealth. Governments are printing money, but in the end that isn't wealth it's just a claim on wealth and there'll be less to go round. You have to have a house and food and energy whether you're working or not. So it's a rock vs a hard place, that'll have to be balanced

kimetic

Silverstone is open to hosting multiple Formula 1 races in 2020 to help the championship and could consider using a reverse layout of its grand prix circuit.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Silverstone managing director Stuart Pringle said the track was willing to do whatever was needed to assist F1, including hosting more than one race.

"All I've done is say to Formula 1 we are willing to work with them in any way, shape or form that they think is in the best interest of the championship," Pringle said.

"The majority of the teams are within a stone's throw of the circuit, so operationally, it would be pretty straightforward [to host multiple races].

"We've got fixed infrastructure, the staff could go home to their own beds in an evening for the large part.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14888 ... rse-layout

strad

Izzy I read the article and those numbers seem inflated to me. 40-50 team support personnel? Yeah if you want 5 star catering. But you don't need that if you are not entertaining all the usual big wigs and stars.
The other number seem over the top to me.
The real problem as I see it is that you need paying customers. Tracks don't even get a cut of the signage money.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

izzy

strad wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 20:02
Izzy I read the article and those numbers seem inflated to me. 40-50 team support personnel? Yeah if you want 5 star catering. But you don't need that if you are not entertaining all the usual big wigs and stars.
The other number seem over the top to me.
The real problem as I see it is that you need paying customers. Tracks don't even get a cut of the signage money.
yes true i think the 1400 total people that Dieter Rencken calculated on Racefans is much better! then if you combine that with what @kimetic posted about Silverstone you start to get something. In that version F1 pays the closed circuit instead of the other way round, $1m kind of figure, but more than makes it up in saving TV and sponsor revenue

so then i still think the obvious thing is to make sure and run ALL the races there and have the drivers swap teams. And if they can run the circuit backwards as well that'd make a perfectly interesting season in the circumstances, i think. Much better than holding on hoping and hoping while the weeks tick by till the season is gone and no racing at all

hollus

Backwards circuits are a non-starter. All runoff areas are custom made for the usual direction.
Rivals, not enemies.

izzy

hollus wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 21:41
Backwards circuits are a non-starter. All runoff areas are custom made for the usual direction.
The MD of silverstone thinks it could be possible:
Asked if there was any consideration of running the 5.891km track in reverse for a second event, Pringle said that while Silverstone was not currently licensed to do so, it could not be ruled out.

"It's not such a silly thought," Pringle said.

"We're not licensed to run the other way, but these are extraordinary times, and I guess that extraordinary decisions are being made.

"Nothing's off the table
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/silv ... t/4776238/
there are a few different layouts there, and if you compare some runoffs on the street circuits, add some Tecpro, fiddle with some barriers... tho afaic reverse isn't too vital really i'd be pretty happy watching two clockwise races

Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 22:32

there are a few different layouts there, and if you compare some runoffs on the street circuits, add some Tecpro, fiddle with some barriers... tho afaic reverse isn't too vital really i'd be pretty happy watching two clockwise races
I think you should look at the aerial view of Silverstone. I can think of 2 or 3 corners that would unpleasant in reverse if an off happened. Copse could be lethal as it would be head on in to a concrete wall with almost no run off first. And that would be at 300km/h.

The pits would be interesting. The reversed exit becoming entrance could work. The entrance becoming exit would put emerging cars in to the path of cars coming out of the preceding corner. That would need some changes, I think.

Not sure it would be a great idea in that regard, although it would certainly be interesting for the drivers. Several corners that would be progressively tightening as they are currently progressively opening. Coming through Woodcote and approaching Luffield would be "fun". The braking zone would be in a slight turn. Get it wrong and you're in to a gravel trap. A brake failure here would be uncomfortable. The Abbey curve is currently nice and flat, but in reverse a mistake could stick you in the wall a few metres over the grass. Not nice.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 22:46
I think you should look at the aerial view of Silverstone. I can think of 2 or 3 corners that would unpleasant in reverse if an off happened. Copse could be lethal as it would be head on in to a concrete wall with almost no run off first. And that would be at 300km/h.

The pits would be interesting. The reversed exit becoming entrance could work. The entrance becoming exit would put emerging cars in to the path of cars coming out of the preceding corner. That would need some changes, I think.

Not sure it would be a great idea in that regard, although it would certainly be interesting for the drivers. Several corners that would be progressively tightening as they are currently progressively opening. Coming through Woodcote and approaching Luffield would be "fun". The braking zone would be in a slight turn. Get it wrong and you're in to a gravel trap. A brake failure here would be uncomfortable. The Abbey curve is currently nice and flat, but in reverse a mistake could stick you in the wall a few metres over the grass. Not nice.
yes i agree Copse and Abbey and the pit exit look pretty tricky to fix don't they, i was assuming Stuart has it covered one way or another, as he's been doing it for a while and is ex army and a stickler for detail! Anyway if we had Lewis driving Ferrari, RBR, McLaren, and Max driving the Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Charles going RBR McLaren Mercedes etc etc i don't think we'd be too bothered which way round they were going :D

Just_a_fan

Ain't no way the drivers will be driving each others cars. Nice idea but it isn't going to happen. For a start, they'd each need to learn all of the relevant systems and settings on the wheel. That's 10 different sets of settings/setups for a start.

I'd rather they did something like races with different spec series. Now that would be good. No argument about the car for a start!

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 01:30
Ain't no way the drivers will be driving each others cars. Nice idea but it isn't going to happen. For a start, they'd each need to learn all of the relevant systems and settings on the wheel. That's 10 different sets of settings/setups for a start.

I'd rather they did something like races with different spec series. Now that would be good. No argument about the car for a start!
It's unlikely, just sayin they could and should, or we might get nothing. The steering wheel functions are pretty similar, if someone can't learn a new one in a week they deserve to go slower! Aren't the seats even a standard fitting?

Other kinds of cars could be quite fun, but just not an F1 championship, and dream on of course they'd argue theirs wasn't quite right and so would we :lol:

izzy

Someone's done a reverse Silverstone lap:
https://motorsport.tv/embed/bqWCDIrr-un ... ns-f1-2019

it's quite interesting. i think you could possibly fix the problem corners with having some extra barrier closer to the track that cars would hit at an acute angle

Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 15:13
Someone's done a reverse Silverstone lap:
https://motorsport.tv/embed/bqWCDIrr-un ... ns-f1-2019

it's quite interesting. i think you could possibly fix the problem corners with having some extra barrier closer to the track that cars would hit at an acute angle
That actually looks quite good, doesn't it? There are a couple of places that would need attention as we've said.

I do wonder whether Copse would be flat in 8th (I'd bet not). A couple of the other corners looked a bit faster than you'd do them in reality in that sim. The run in to Becketts from Hanger through Chapel would be a real man-from-the-boys moment. How late do you back off for the left hander after Chapel? Also, the run in to the Loop looks likely to be less favourable to overtaking than in Brooklands at the other end currently is, although hassling might make the guy ahead mess up. But then you'd also be losing front grip and you'd need it in to there so I'm not sure it would allow overtaking as it's a bit single line through the kink..

strad

Aren't the seats even a standard fitting?
Nope. Each seat is form fitted to the driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 17:27
That actually looks quite good, doesn't it? There are a couple of places that would need attention as we've said.

I do wonder whether Copse would be flat in 8th (I'd bet not). A couple of the other corners looked a bit faster than you'd do them in reality in that sim. The run in to Becketts from Hanger through Chapel would be a real man-from-the-boys moment. How late do you back off for the left hander after Chapel? Also, the run in to the Loop looks likely to be less favourable to overtaking than in Brooklands at the other end currently is, although hassling might make the guy ahead mess up. But then you'd also be losing front grip and you'd need it in to there so I'm not sure it would allow overtaking as it's a bit single line through the kink..
Copse flat would need an extra bit of bravery wouldn't it with omg just the barrier. I wonder if the arena could be cutback city with as you say hassling to spoil the other guy's line in? it's made me hope they try it

izzy

strad wrote:
03 Apr 2020, 18:56
Aren't the seats even a standard fitting?
Nope. Each seat is form fitted to the driver.
yes i meant the seat to the chassis, so they don't need to foam a new one each time. but it seems like the bolts can be in different places:
14.8 Seat fixing and removal :
14.8.1 In order that an injured driver may be removed from the car in his seat following an accident,
all cars must be fitted with a seat which, if it is secured, must be done so with no more than
two bolts. If bolts are used they must be :
a) Clearly indicated and easily accessible to rescue crews.
b) Fitted vertically.
c) Removable with the same tool for all teams and which is issued to all rescue crews.
but making a seat isn't too big a deal