Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are Schumacher's WDC and Win records under threat of being eclipsed?

Will the 7 WDC record be broken?
3%
Will the 91 Victory record be broken?
26%
Neither record will be broken.
12%
Both records will be broken.
59%

Total votes: 172

Wass85

Re: Will Schumacher's Race Win and WDC records be broken?

izzy wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 18:58
sosic2121 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 18:08
I find Rosberg to underestimated by most Hamilton fans, and honestly I can't understand why!? 🤔
(At the same time most of H. fans are trying to argue that he is GOAT and that Rosberg that beat him was "crap"!)

It was obvious that Hamilton was better overtaker, and probably faster over race distance, but during the Q3 there was little difference if any.
But it was also obvious that Rosberg understood the car better from mechanical perspective. If Mercedes wasn't so incredibly reliable that fact would be more important.
it's not that rosberg was crap it's that he was (a) a cheat and (b) lucky. Personally i really liked him and i loved the story of him and Lewis being boyhood friends ending up in the same team in f1, and then he did Monaco 2014 and Spa and it turned out Bahrain engine mode too and it was so disillusioning i have never forgiven him

it only turns into an argument when someone starts saying he won 2016 on merit and therefore Lewis isn't all that great

what's the evidence he understood the car better?
Finally we get to see your true colours coming out. 😂

You have no proof whatsoever that Nico did cheat. If he was this horrible villain then why was he according to to you and others, the team favourite and the favoured driver to win the title in 2016?

Mercedes are a smart bunch, pay top money for your star driver and screw him over in his title bids to his inferior teammate.
Last edited by Wass85 on 14 Apr 2020, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 19:01
sosic2121 wrote:

I find Rosberg to underestimated by most Hamilton fans, and honestly I can't understand why!? 🤔
(At the same time most of H. fans are trying to argue that he is GOAT and that Rosberg that beat him was "crap"!)

It was obvious that Hamilton was better overtaker, and probably faster over race distance, but during the Q3 there was little difference if any.
But it was also obvious that Rosberg understood the car better from mechanical perspective. If Mercedes wasn't so incredibly reliable that fact would be more important.
Not true.
It seems you did not follow the saga close enough. Do you remember the "dossier gate" and the switching around of Race engineer and mechanics? Mercedes did everything in their power to "even things out" and help the weaker lion cub stand a chance.
Didn't they do something similar with Bottas, didn't change the order though.

PlatinumZealot

Bottas is a bit slower than Rosberg overall and he lacks aggression to make up for it. Rosberg is actually a very high level driver and was touted even from 2012 to be the "fastest German". Obviously he is no slouch if his collegues rate him to be faster that Vettel. Schumacher saw it first hand that this guy is no pushover. I wish schumacher was healthy enough to give us some backstory into his career... Imagine all the stories... Hmm. Anyway.

Both Bottas and Rosberg are actually fast enough to snatch poles off Hamilton. There is no "all encompassing ultra qualifier God-king" driver in 1 as people like blame Hamilton fans for thinking he is. Only Kimi fans beleive in that crap. :P
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 19:36
Bottas is a bit slower than Rosberg overall and he lacks aggression to make up for it. Rosberg is actually a very high level driver and was touted even from 2012 to be the "fastest German". Obviously he is no slouch if his collegues rate him to be faster that Vettel. Schumacher saw it first hand that this guy is no pushover. I wish schumacher was healthy enough to give us some backstory into his career... Imagine all the stories... Hmm. Anyway.

Both Bottas and Rosberg are actually fast enough to snatch poles off Hamilton. There is no "all encompassing ultra qualifier God-king" driver in 1 as people like blame Hamilton fans for thinking he is. Only Kimi fans beleive in that crap. :P
He's obviously a talented driver but it looked like Schumacher was on par with him in 2012. The gap was getting closer from 2010 instead of growing like you would expect against a driver of that age.

I'm not sure about those rumours, all I can remember is Perez stating Rosberg was the fastest German driver?

This was not snatching poles, this was basically being neck and neck with Lewis Hamilton in qualifying. Rosberg was rapid over one lap, even closer to Hamilton than Bottas has been.

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:

I don't underestimate Rosberg at all. The fact that he ran Hamilton so close is a testament to him. What I disagree with is Wass85's continual attempts to say that Hamilton dropped the ball. Saying that is to underestimate Rosberg, not the other way round. He's saying Rosberg only won because Hamilton had a bad day at the office. In reality it was nip and tuck and the season was decided by the engine failure. Without that, it would have been down to the last race because, as you suggest, Rosberg would have tried to win the races at the end of the season.

I think that Rosberg actually shows how good Hamilton is. Hamilton had to be on top form season after season. I happen to think Hamilton is better than Rosberg but it's down to details, not a massive gap as with some team mates that are obviously just there to fill the other car.

I don't go with the GOAT thing anyway. As I've explained elsewhere, it's an impossible idea because it can't be done over the whole of F1 history.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 21:51
sosic2121 wrote:

I don't underestimate Rosberg at all. The fact that he ran Hamilton so close is a testament to him. What I disagree with is Wass85's continual attempts to say that Hamilton dropped the ball. Saying that is to underestimate Rosberg, not the other way round. He's saying Rosberg only won because Hamilton had a bad day at the office. In reality it was nip and tuck and the season was decided by the engine failure. Without that, it would have been down to the last race because, as you suggest, Rosberg would have tried to win the races at the end of the season.

I think that Rosberg actually shows how good Hamilton is. Hamilton had to be on top form season after season. I happen to think Hamilton is better than Rosberg but it's down to details, not a massive gap as with some team mates that are obviously just there to fill the other car.

I don't go with the GOAT thing anyway. As I've explained elsewhere, it's an impossible idea because it can't be done over the whole of F1 history.
No what I'm trying to say is that you can't just say Hamilton would automatically be champion had he not retired in Malaysia.

Like was pointed out we don't know how much Rosberg was pushing towards the back end of the season when he knew full well that a handful of second places were enough to secure the title, he did better than that though by winning the Japanese GP.

PlatinumZealot

Rosberg was stretched so thin. Worked so hard.. Bled so long.. And mentally crushed.. He just had to retire or risk his marriage... That a lone tells me he was working beyond his natural limits to even come close to Lewis. I wont be surprised if he had to take a few performance enhancing drugs to maintain a high level in that season.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wass85

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 00:19
Rosberg was stretched so thin. Worked so hard.. Bled so long.. And mentally crushed.. He just had to retire or risk his marriage... That a lone tells me he was working beyond his natural limits to even come close to Lewis. I wont be surprised if he had to take a few performance enhancing drugs to maintain a high level in that season.
Yeah he drank a can of whoop ass...... 😂

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 19:53

He's obviously a talented driver but it looked like Schumacher was on par with him in 2012. The gap was getting closer from 2010 instead of growing like you would expect against a driver of that age.
It's a good idea to research stuff before making your sweeping statements. The above is incorrect. Simple research would have shown that Rosberg had approx. double Schumacher's points in 2010 and 2012. 2011 was much closer, however.

It's also interesting to see that over the 3 years, Rosberg outqualified Schumacher
41 - 17. That's outqualified the man who had the record number of poles up to that point. The man who still managed that short lived pole at Monaco.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 01:13
Wass85 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 19:53

It's a good idea to research stuff before making your sweeping statements. The above is incorrect. Simple research would have shown that Rosberg had approx. double Schumacher's points in 2010 and 2012. 2011 was much closer, however.

It's also interesting to see that over the 3 years, Rosberg outqualified Schumacher
41 - 17. That's outqualified the man who had the record number of poles up to that point. The man who still managed that short lived pole at Monaco.
It's also a good idea to look at the context of the seasons, performance wise Schumacher was much closer to Rosberg in 2012 than he was in 2010 and 2011.

Yes he did but you don't think Schumacher being over 40 has some bearing on that?

GPR-A

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 01:13
That's outqualified the man who had the record number of poles up to that point. The man who still managed that short lived pole at Monaco.
Go on and say that If Rosberg would have competed from 1991 to 2006, Rosberg would have been 7 time champion! :lol:

sosic2121

izzy wrote:
IMO it was Canada 2014 and Baku 2016.
In Canada they both had issue with breakes. IIRC Rosbreg managed to finish 2nd without MGUK, also testament how superior Merc PU was that season.

Baku happened when it was forbidden for engineers to instruct drivers what to do. Rosberg easily changed setup of the car while Hamilton just didn't know what to do.

"So was Rosberg, who is known to be the superior engineer among the Mercedes drivers, merely a bit cleverer? Niki Lauda, Mercedes’ nonexecutive chairman, suggested so when he said that both drivers had the same problem but the German was quicker dealing with it." article from The guardian

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 21:51
sosic2121 wrote:

+1

Wass85

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 09:36
izzy wrote:
IMO it was Canada 2014 and Baku 2016.
In Canada they both had issue with breakes. IIRC Rosbreg managed to finish 2nd without MGUK, also testament how superior Merc PU was that season.

Baku happened when it was forbidden for engineers to instruct drivers what to do. Rosberg easily changed setup of the car while Hamilton just didn't know what to do.

"So was Rosberg, who is known to be the superior engineer among the Mercedes drivers, merely a bit cleverer? Niki Lauda, Mercedes’ nonexecutive chairman, suggested so when he said that both drivers had the same problem but the German was quicker dealing with it." article from The guardian
From what I remember Hamilton was unable to find the setting to solve his problem and received no help from the team.

I remember being angry at the team that season because I'm sure Rosberg had a problem in Silverstone and was helped out in no time by the team. I was surprised nobody from Sky picked up on the matter and even more surprised Hamilton didn't bring it up.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 01:18

Yes he did but you don't think Schumacher being over 40 has some bearing on that?
No.