Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:13
I just realised something,

Alonso went from Minardi to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari to McLaren.
Sainz went from STR (formerly Minardi) to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari.. back to McLaren one day?
He is only 25 so definitely a possibility.
Ricciardo is 30 so if all goes well he will retire at Mclaren.

Ricciardo is not the typical McLaren personality so I didn't expect him to go there on his own account, but I guess it is explained by circumstances being very unusual this year. He will have grabbed the open with both hands because Renault chassis is locked in for two years because of the rules delay, and the last time out racing, the Renault Chassis was the slightly slower, underdevloped one. The clean-cut corporate style is not for him, but if Macca continue to improve, He is in a good seat to fight for podiums and possible wins come 2022.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

alexx_88

UlleGulle wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:59
So where does this all leave Renault?
There have been quite a few hints of Alonso in their social media. To be honest, Vettel seems almost fed up with it all, whereas Alonso would probably relish the challenge to fight in a relatively competitive team. Ocon will be quite a decent yard-stick for himself to measure against.

alexx_88

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:43
Ricciardo is not the typical McLaren personality so I didn't expect him to go there on his own account, but I guess it is explained by circumstances being very unusual this year. He will have grabbed the open with both hands because Renault chassis is locked in for two years because of the rules delay, and the last time out racing, the Renault Chassis was the slightly slower, underdevloped one. The clean-cut corporate style is not for him, but if Macca continue to improve, He is in a good seat to fight for podiums and possible wins come 2022.
Ric was definitely not suited to Ron's Mclaren, but I think he'll fit in very well with the new Mclaren of Zak and Lando. In terms of career moves, it's a lateral move for the time being, but can pay dividends in 2022. Ric is probably still hoping for an opportunity to open up, but I think this Ferrari move is one of the last chances he is going to get I'm afraid. Hamilton's place will be the next one to open up I expect, but there are younger and better positioned guys for that I think. And that's on the big assumption that Mercedes are going to stay in F1, which I honestly doubt with the way the economy is going at the moment.

Jolle

alexx_88 wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:44
UlleGulle wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:59
So where does this all leave Renault?
There have been quite a few hints of Alonso in their social media. To be honest, Vettel seems almost fed up with it all, whereas Alonso would probably relish the challenge to fight in a relatively competitive team. Ocon will be quite a decent yard-stick for himself to measure against.
With the (lack of) speed of the Renault and that they are still in their building up fase, I would be another midfield disappointment for Alonso. I assume Ocon and a experienced driver with with a bigger hole in his pocket than ambition or a driver who wants to get back on the grid.

NL_Fer

Wow didn’t expect that one. But I rate Sainz pretty high. He has showed raw speed at Torro Rosso and developed/matured trough the years. He was really good at McLaren and I though he would stay there for long. You cannot deny a Ferrari seat though.

I really wanted to see Ricciardo at Ferrari. Battle with LeClerc, Verstappen, Hamilton and Bottas. But with the cost cap, Mclaren could be the perfect place to be. They are already working very efficient, around that 175m budget. With the cap enabled, the can come very close to the top trio.

Who is going to drive Renault? Gasly, Kvyat, Zhou, Nyck DeVries, Kubica, Sette Camara :wtf:

Antonio Giovinazzi...out by the end of the year?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Manoah2u

Nice, very excited about Sainz @ Ferrari, BUT i must really say i hoped more for having Ricciardo @ Ferrari.
I think it's an interesting pairing, and the first in ages where Ferrari doesn't have a (former) WDC contracted.

Ricciardo to Mclaren is not really unexpected, and interesting just as much. Again, would have wanted to see him more @ Ferrari,and quite honestly @ Mercedes even more, BUT then again, i think his personality fits Mclaren a bit better since as it seems, the atmosphere @ Mclaren is much more relaxed then it was under the MP4 project with Ron Dennis. I also quite like the combination of Ricciardo and Norris, two jokers under one roof, and they're both very fast even though I hold Daniel higher.

So that leaves an open seat at Renault, and even though Alonso is speculated i still believe that ship is not gonna sail.
Vettel probably will end up there. I don't believe that the news about Vettel possibly going to Renault doesn't have a reason, just as that it was mentioned before that Sainz could end up @ Ferrari to replace Seb. So though i'm fully expecting Vettel to go to Renault, I must say though that I am very dazed by the repetitive attention of Toto Wolff to see Vettel get a Mercedes seat.

Offcourse having a WDC German aboard is always icing on the cake for a 'german' team, the thing here is, apart from Hamilton, it didn't really look like there is a seat available @ Mercedes. And even then, Hamilton doesn't have much 'need' to leave that team. Concidering the only team i'd see Hamilton go would be Ferrari, and since Ferrari is now fully occupied, that would imply he's going to stay - or retire, but i think he's made it clear he's not concidering that. So that would mean that Bottas' is now on the swinging chair. Interestingly, though I do think Bottas would make a good fit @ Renault, i am a tiny bit surprised there as Bottas is generally Toto's lap dog, and also plays trick and becomes lap dog for Hamilton when they need him to go for a walk. And quite frankly, though I don't really like that, it does make a 'safe environmet' for Mercedes to see their star driver Hamilton become
WDC time and time again, and see him go to battle for Schumacher's stats.

Somehow, i feel that Vettel and Hamilton is NOT going to be even remotely as calm of a pair as the combo of Lewis- Valterri is. I can see a repeat of Rosberg vs Hamilton, and a repeat of LeClerc vs Vettel, should they sign Vettel alongside Hamilton.

The thing is, 2020 could actually be the last year for Vettel, as he's mentioned himself he has no interest in a 'buildup' team, so that would essentially, despite having an open seat and an offer from Renault, leave Renault out of the equation. That means the only place Seb would
concider going is Mercedes.

And IF Vettel, no matter what, REALLY does not have any interest in driving for Renault, and if Mercedes in the end actually does NOT offer him a seat to replace Bottas, (F.E. it could simply be that Toto Wolff waved interest in Vettel because the danger of Lewis going to Ferrari), then Vettel will retire from F1 alltogether 2021 onwards, which leaves the question: Who's gonna get that Renault seat then?

Would be a killer if Seb retires, Alonso DOES sign with Renault, and become WDC in 2021 with his former glory team.

But seriously though, apart from Bottas and Vettel, who could end up @ Renault?

Pierre Gasly? A Full french lineup?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:40
Schuttelberg wrote:

Sainz went from STR (formerly Minardi) to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari.. back to McLaren one day?
It was mentioned before indeed :P by the way, You missed one Renault with Alonso :P he went from Minardi to Renault to Mclaren to Renault to Ferrari to McLaren...

By the way, Max verstappen is doing Jos Verstappen's career in reverse upto now, going from Minardi (STR) to Stewart (RBR), so he will end his career at Renault some day.
He'll have to go to Mercedes too, then. (Mercedes = Tyrrell (Jos Verstappen's team in '97)
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
14 May 2020, 23:34
Jolle wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:

It was mentioned before indeed :P by the way, You missed one Renault with Alonso :P he went from Minardi to Renault to Mclaren to Renault to Ferrari to McLaren...

By the way, Max verstappen is doing Jos Verstappen's career in reverse upto now, going from Minardi (STR) to Stewart (RBR), so he will end his career at Renault some day.
He'll have to go to Mercedes too, then. (Mercedes = Tyrrell (Jos Verstappen's team in '97)
Oh yes. Forgot about that one! Plus Jos had half a year with Honda after Tyrrell (as a test driver). Mercedes would suit him in couple of years. So who knows 😂

Manoah2u

Jolle wrote:
14 May 2020, 23:38
Manoah2u wrote:
14 May 2020, 23:34
Jolle wrote:

Oh yes. Forgot about that one! Plus Jos had half a year with Honda after Tyrrell (as a test driver). Mercedes would suit him in couple of years. So who knows 😂
BTW, another side jump : Jos Verstappen drove for A1GP a few times through multiple seasons.
By that margin, we could see Max driving @ Formula E when he ends his F1 career.

Would be remarkable if it actually goes down like that.

If you'd project that on Mick Schumacher, then Mick needs to drive for Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault (Benetton), and Aston Martin (Jordan). There's a 2021 seat @ Renault. Mick, where are you! :lol:

ESPImperium

Ill give my two cents for what its worth.

I think that Hamilton and Wolff are gone from Mercedes at the end of this year, both away to Aston Martin with Tommy Hilfiger as well (Stroll owns them too). Reason, Wolff has been having a conflict with Mercedes management for a couple of years now, and Hamilton will go as well as its father and son with Wolff. Hamilton will sign a significantly lower pay rate, his present $50m isn't in the interest of anyone, the days of mega driver deals are gone for the next decade. But Hamilton will have greater freedom with Hilfiger to do his fashion things. Perez will be paid off, Aston will be propelled forward with pace. Aston will start to look to become an engine manufacturer for 2025 for when the new engine rules come in i think, this will excite Hamilton, Aston will look to supply one more team in F1 as well.

McLaren are sorted, Ferrari are sorted now.

Bottas will go to Renault, they will offer him a decent wedge, and offer him a 3 year with a 2 year option. Long term deal for him, not the constant one year with Mercedes. Bottas will be joined at Renault by Ocon.

Mercedes will be left to scramble, Alonso and Russell is my bet. Alonso as they need a top line driver for a two year deal and Russell for the future.

As for Red Bull, the return of the prodigal son, Vettel to return alongside Verstappen, Albon to be dumped to Alpha Tauri alongside Gasly. Kvjiat will finally be gone from F1.

Sauber will keep Giovinazzi as to keep Ferraris Reserve Driver sharp. Kimi will retire, Schumacher will come in if he does well in what F2 season there is left this year.

Haas will take Perez, and his wedge of money. Alongside Perez Id recommend someone who would be decent, someone like an old teammate like Hulkenberg. I think Haas will have Gunther on full on expletive mode to his drivers this year, once we get going. Gunther will want fast, dependable drivers, not ones that are magnetised to one another on track.

Williams will be the final seat left, Latifi will stay for a second year, alongside him i could see a K-Mag, i do however think Williams would be open to another young driver with a decent wedge of cash as well.

Other predictions:
* Two new teams to come in for 2022 - One powered by Renault, another by Honda.
* FIA to announce engine manufacturers can only supply 3 teams including their works side from 2025.
* The 2020 season only to have 12 races, 10 in Europe/2 in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi.
* AT LEAST Two drivers to face a race ban this year.

Im seeing things in a slightly sillier way than some.

Manoah2u

I think the current affairs with Corona and the huge impact on the tracks aswell will eliminate any chance for new teams to be honest.

PlatinumZealot

That's way more than 2 cents.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gcdugas

I see Renault leaving the sport after 2021. Sad to say it but I've been a fan since 1983. The signs are all there. And Williams is on life support too. Even Alfa Romeo is in better shape than Williams. F1 won't be saved by budget caps either. The new rules better allow for more passing and more liberty in engine development or the sport will descend into a spec racer series with all the experimentation being done in LMP-1. The 18" tires are long overdue. Without lots on sidewall flex, the suspension engineers will have to sharpen their pencils to keep the contact patch fully weighted over bumps and curbs. Bigger wheels mean brakes won't be marginal at tracks like Canada. Unfortunately more aggressive braking will make for fewer passes so the return to ground effects, which was 15 years overdue, had better deliver on its promise of being less affected by dirty air coming out of the corners and onto the straights. I for one wouldn't mind the tract width and wheelbase of the cars being opened up to a range of 200mm or so. That way if a team commits to a wide car they will win of tracks like Hungary, Monaco etc while cars with narrow tracts will be faster in Canada, Spa etc. This could make the calendar exciting like in the era where we had V8s, V12s and Turbos on the track at the same time. The Turbo teams would always look forward to Spa, Monza, Canada while the normally aspirated cars dominated Monaco, Detroit, Spain etc. LMP has petrol cars and diesel cars and variety. We need to mix it up so that the teams have to commit to a design philosophy that will only be ideal for half the tracks and a different design philosophy will be suited to the other half of the tracks. F1 is in competition with Moto-GP and other series. If they keep having races where the passing is done in the pits then it will fade away over the next decade. They can talk about the "pinnacle of motorsports" all they want. The fans are sick of processions and tire management. In F1 the race is mostly set from the first corner until the first pit stops. In Moto-GP, Nascar, tintop series such as DTM, BTCC etc., the race winner is not know until the last few laps. They have passing and uncertainty. F1 has parades. No bueno.
Innovation over refinement is the prefered path to performance. -- Get rid of the dopey regs in F1