COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Thanks @Hollus, did they use aalso zinc and in a early stage? I don't think so.

It has always been said that the treatment with Hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc must be done at the first symptoms, otherwise it will not work. Every virus must be treated immediately, otherwise it is of no use.
The cold sore virus is a good example. When the lip starts to burn / tingle, but there is no blister yet, you should immediately apply aciclovir to it and it will disappear the next day. If you wait for the blister to appear, aciclovir will no longer help.
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

The hydroxychloroquine hill is such a weird one to die on.

hollus

By the way. A reminder that posts saying “take this” or “don’t take that”, or medical advice in general, will be removed. We won’t try to filter good from bad medical advice (ask me in 2021 which was the good one), because we can’t. So when in doubt, we’ll be removing such posts.
Analysis of the medical landscape, as in when will the crisis subside, so we can start to go back to normal is OK, it also determines when and how F1 comes back.
But no “this substance is good for you” and “this treatment is poo”. Basically, no medical advice in F1T, we are motor-heads, not doctors. Thank you
Rivals, not enemies.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2020, 17:05
hollus wrote:
23 May 2020, 16:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2020, 11:02
Yes, but it's not the wonder drug that Trump keeps claiming. That's the point.
The point you made was
hydroxychloroquine found to double death rates of those hospitalised with COVID-19.
Very different and why I countered towards neutral.
It is important to make the point that one is trying to make. Internet, forums and all that.
Of those assessed, the death rate was double. That's in the numbers.

Using drugs outside of their tested and licensed use can be beneficial for some but it's also likely to be dangerous for others. That's why drugs are tested and licensed, after all. They didn't used to be and people all sorts of stuff for all sorts of things and many died. No one in authority should be publicly pushing off-license use of drugs, especially when they have no qualifications in drug prescribing.
Some are now beginning to ask " What if there never is a vaccine?" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornGfmKpD7I.

When I, and some others here, was young things were not a matter of whipping someone off to a doctor when they were ill, and they need a few days to recover, I had several friends family and acquaintances whe died or were left with lifelong disabilities, its the way it was. Can we really expect things to continue as they have this last 50 odd years?

Until 100 years ago death and and sickness was part of life, then Penicillin changed the world to what we have become used to, but things have been creeping back to as they were. Aids, malaria, 'super bugs' in hospitals etc. have we just had an unrepresentative patch of history and it is passing? No grantees.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

hollus

Trump, who should or shouldn’t pay, intergenerational cost analysis...
AKA politics.
Closed for cool down and cleaning.

Cleaning done. A lot of posts were removed. Is the post was recent and even close to politics, then it is gone. Mine included.

Please, keep politics away from F1T, it always ends up with a lot of people angry.

Aaaaaaand thread open again!
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

Will UK's current plans for 14 days quarantine apply to employees returning home after a race in, say, Austria?
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
24 May 2020, 17:25
Will UK's current plans for 14 days quarantine apply to employees returning home after a race in, say, Austria?
We can't discuss that because it is a political decision... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

hollus wrote:
The problem with quarantine on arrival is that you have to get off the plane, where you have been swapping air with over 100 others, then go through arrivals with a few thousand others, then transport from Air Port to home where you can not then mix with anyone else. Seems a poor idea to me. Mix with everyone then isolate?

basti313

Big Tea wrote:
24 May 2020, 17:42
hollus wrote:
The problem with quarantine on arrival is that you have to get off the plane, where you have been swapping air with over 100 others, then go through arrivals with a few thousand others, then transport from Air Port to home where you can not then mix with anyone else. Seems a poor idea to me. Mix with everyone then isolate?
Well, you do not really spread it in these conditions without symptoms. The main spreads were at party locations, restaurants, where people speak loud or even sing. Anything with singing was a main spreader. Or hospitals, old peoples homes, etc...
People have face masks now, there is no air stream in a plane along the plane, 1.5m distances will be held at the (not busy) airports. There were also no reports on spreads in a plane before. So I think there is not much danger from the travel.
The main risk is, that people returning spread it in the family and then spread it into hospitals or homes for elderly. The two weeks would be too long for one returning person. I think it is more to gain time for the family spread.
Don`t russel the hamster!

PlatinumZealot

Airplanes are a big mixing chamber for the virus. Rarely flight yet without any positives. Everyone has to be isolated before the flight to guarantee.... Just how can you go about it...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

basti313 wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:02
Big Tea wrote:
hollus wrote:
Well, you do not really spread it in these conditions without symptoms. The main spreads were at party locations, restaurants, where people speak loud or even sing. Anything with singing was a main spreader. Or hospitals, old peoples homes, etc...
People have face masks now, there is no air stream in a plane along the plane, 1.5m distances will be held at the (not busy) airports. There were also no reports on spreads in a plane before. So I think there is not much danger from the travel.
The main risk is, that people returning spread it in the family and then spread it into hospitals or homes for elderly. The two weeks would be too long for one returning person. I think it is more to gain time for the family spread.
Picture yourself outdoors on a cold day. You see where your breath goes and as it dries it continues to rise as it is warm and getting lighter. You puff out a lungful in a room and that hangs for several seconds if you are there or not.

Someone walking through 30 sec or more after you walks through a 'cloud of your breath', which if you have a virus that is shedding contains plenty to cause an infection for several people.

Add to this that you can be shedding for 3 to 8 days before you get symptoms (some are even completely asymptomatic apparently, but still spread) and there is little chance of controlling it indoors, none at all of say public transport where the air does not change just circulates.

basti313

Big Tea wrote:
25 May 2020, 14:51
basti313 wrote:
25 May 2020, 12:02
Big Tea wrote:

Picture yourself outdoors on a cold day. You see where your breath goes and as it dries it continues to rise as it is warm and getting lighter. You puff out a lungful in a room and that hangs for several seconds if you are there or not.

Someone walking through 30 sec or more after you walks through a 'cloud of your breath', which if you have a virus that is shedding contains plenty to cause an infection for several people.

Add to this that you can be shedding for 3 to 8 days before you get symptoms (some are even completely asymptomatic apparently, but still spread) and there is little chance of controlling it indoors, none at all of say public transport where the air does not change just circulates.
This is a too pessimistic view and is just covered by easy assumptions. No offense on the assumptions, but what we have today is a clear view with many studies on the spread, for example the cluster studies from Austria or Island. The main clusters were, as described, restaurants, bars and places where people live. Neither the planes people used to get back from skiing in Ischgl, the airports nor any other public transport show up in the cluster studies.
So these studies show clearly, that there are other dangers than transportation.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan

So people sat in a restaurant spread the virus, but people sitting much closer together for long periods of time in an aircraft don't? Sorry, don't buy it.

FrukostScones

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:15
So people sat in a restaurant spread the virus, but people sitting much closer together for long periods of time in an aircraft don't? Sorry, don't buy it.
when eating out you sit most of the time vis-a-vis to other people your are with, your mouth is not covered, you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy. you talk a lot because the wine a fine, and that is what you do eating out, having fun and laughing in peoples faces.

In a plane you can make all passengers wear a mask and can make them stfu the whole flight. Maybe safer than resturant.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/ ... s/12263242 o
I know they want to sell flights, but still...
We here had at least one (super)spreading event in restaurant, now that restaurants are open in again in my country for an week now.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan

FrukostScones wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 May 2020, 18:15
when eating out you sit most of the time vis-a-vis to other people your are with, your mouth is not covered, you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy. you talk a lot because the wine a fine, and that is what you do eating out, having fun and laughing in peoples faces.

In a plane you can make all passengers wear a mask and can make them stfu the whole flight. Maybe safer than resturant.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/ ... s/12263242 o
I know they want to sell flights, but still...
We here had at least one (super)spreading event in restaurant, now that restaurants are open in again in my country for an week now.
And in airplanes people cough, they squeeze by each other in the aisles whilst breathing (obviously). Sure, from now on you can make people wear masks but, unless it's a short flight, you're still going to be feeding them and the masks will come off then.

Oh, and as for this:
you are eating, you open your mouth and saliva is spraying around because everything looks so yummy.
I can assure you that I don't eat like that. If someone eats with their mouth open, they get told to eat with their mouth shut!