McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: McLaren MCL35

Carlen wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 22:48
In which component is McLaren inferior to the leaders? For the most part, is this connected with the experience of engineers or the technical imperfection of the material base?
They're roughly a year behind, that's how fast F1 evolves. Going from Mercedes to Honda then to Renault cost them about a year of development time. They're fighting to make up the gap they put on themselves.

Had they stayed with Honda, the car would be around a second up the road.
Saishū kōnā

_cerber1

Carlen wrote:
In which component is McLaren inferior to the leaders? For the most part, is this connected with the experience of engineers or the technical imperfection of the material base?
In financial terms, all of the above comes from the amount of money the team has.

wesley123

godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 02:49
Carlen wrote:
They're roughly a year behind, that's how fast F1 evolves. Going from Mercedes to Honda then to Renault cost them about a year of development time. They're fighting to make up the gap they put on themselves.

Had they stayed with Honda, the car would be around a second up the road.
How does that cost them development time?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

godlameroso

Redesigning the whole rear end including the transmission. The car was a reliability nightmare in 2015, then again in 2017, then again in 2018. When they realized how far back they were in 2018 they abandoned it for a 2019 head start. 2020 is a continuation of that head start. They've kept pace with Renault's development and the rest of the midfield, despite being one step behind on fuel and lubricants.

Granted McLaren has some experience with split turbo setup, but the time they spend fitting the new Merc engine and build a transmission and rear end around it takes up time and resources. Resources that can be spent on aero.
Saishū kōnā

Sharnlarry

Ross Brawn stated in a interview that one of the cars on the grid have got their cooling wrong. (He was doing an interview on the token system I believe) Fingers crossed it’s not Mclaren but I must say they were the only car with burn marks in their bodywork. Just speculation, it could be many cars on the grid I guess, maybe Williams? We will see in Austria with the temps. If it doesn’t rain

M840TR

Sharnlarry wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 02:55
Ross Brawn stated in a interview that one of the cars on the grid have got their cooling wrong. (He was doing an interview on the token system I believe) Fingers crossed it’s not Mclaren but I must say they were the only car with burn marks in their bodywork. Just speculation, it could be many cars on the grid I guess, maybe Williams? We will see in Austria with the temps. If it doesn’t rain
They've had the burn marks since 2018, probably due to the exhaust layout. I think if you read the article closely you'd notice he was referring to different examples in other teams who'll need the exemption from the regulation.

mwillems

M840TR wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 09:38
Sharnlarry wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 02:55
They've had the burn marks since 2018, probably due to the exhaust layout. I think if you read the article closely you'd notice he was referring to different examples in other teams who'll need the exemption from the regulation.
That's right, he was talking about the exemption and the fact that the team didn't want to be forced to stick with the cooling layout for 2 years in a row. Mclaren however will have license to redesign their cooling due next year to the engine change.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PlatinumZealot

I think it is Toro Rosso who got their cooling wrong. In testng didn't they have some issues regarding that?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

P1McLarenMercedes

godlameroso wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 13:49
Redesigning the whole rear end including the transmission. The car was a reliability nightmare in 2015, then again in 2017, then again in 2018. When they realized how far back they were in 2018 they abandoned it for a 2019 head start. 2020 is a continuation of that head start. They've kept pace with Renault's development and the rest of the midfield, despite being one step behind on fuel and lubricants.

Granted McLaren has some experience with split turbo setup, but the time they spend fitting the new Merc engine and build a transmission and rear end around it takes up time and resources. Resources that can be spent on aero.
In your opinion, do you think the new aero rules being pushed back to 2022 is beneficial for McLaren? In this instance, the resources spent on accommodating the new engine would have ordinarily taken away from the new aero rules. Now, all the development to accommodate the Mercedes engine is only really impacting the 2021 car, and therefore during 2021 McLaren can allocate more resources on the new aero rules and less on accommodating the engine.

_cerber1

Some changes?

You can see better here.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/mcl ... -campaign/

f1rules

no obvious changes, and no extra hidden pics :-) like last year when i uncovered the new barcelona update package

M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 12:44
Some changes?
https://radikal.ru

You can see better here.
What's with the fins on the roll-hoop camera?

_cerber1

M840TR wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 13:42
What's with the fins on the roll-hoop camera?
??

f1rules

Maybe the fins on the airbox camera housing :-)
_cerber1 wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 12:44
Some changes?
https://radikal.ru

You can see better here.

McFAN

Here is a slightly better view of the bargeboard area

Looks like the pre season spec to me.
Last edited by McFAN on 22 Jun 2020, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.