Mercedes changes 2020 livery in fight against racism

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
V12-POWER

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 19:41
Does it make you feel uncomfortable? I think you are right to some extent if we are taking about run of the mill politics, world leaders, religions and regimes. But what Lewis is advocating is not those selfish divisive things but basic things like human rights, save the environment, diversity.
LOL!!!!!! Lewis Hamilton LITERALLY uploaded a video mocking Trump, followed by something about Biden in his next story post. What is he advocating then? (all of this on instagram)

He is literally advocating riots buddy, if this doesn't opens up your eyes then nothing will. Another driver that fell for this crap is Ricciardo and honestly im quite surprised given he seemed to have a strong personality.

(Let's also ignore how every single one of these "public figures" quickly forgot about quarantine and covid when this burst out. The "stay at home" slogan did an impressive 180 to the point of "let's all go out and protest" It really seems they're just puppets. One cannot be an hypocrite of such magnitude, you do not tell people to stay at home to avoid centers collapsing or whatever excuse they had, just to tell people "it's time to go out and fight/protest" the next day)

Racer X

V12-POWER wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 20:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Does it make you feel uncomfortable? I think you are right to some extent if we are taking about run of the mill politics, world leaders, religions and regimes. But what Lewis is advocating is not those selfish divisive things but basic things like human rights, save the environment, diversity.
LOL!!!!!! Lewis Hamilton LITERALLY uploaded a video mocking Trump, followed by something about Biden in his next story post. What is he advocating then? (all of this on instagram)

He is literally advocating riots buddy, if this doesn't opens up your eyes then nothing will. Another driver that fell for this crap is Ricciardo and honestly im quite surprised given he seemed to have a strong personality.

(Let's also ignore how every single one of these "public figures" quickly forgot about quarantine and covid when this burst out. The "stay at home" slogan did an impressive 180 to the point of "let's all go out and protest" It really seems they're just puppets. One cannot be an hypocrite of such magnitude, you do not tell people to stay at home to avoid centers collapsing or whatever excuse they had, just to tell people "it's time to go out and fight/protest" the next day)
You're comments/opinion is trying to undermine the validity of the opinions of those contrary to you're own. Good tactic but why does "This crap" bother you? Why does it bother you that they are protesting to end police brutality? IT shouldn't even be an issue at all Police should not be able to kill anyone period and not be held accountable for their actions. Police should only be able to detain you and then process you into the system where a judge and a jury will then deliberate on weather you are actually guilty of a crime. They are only asking to stop the Police's ability to systematically kill colored people in the United States and everyone around the world is showing their support.

Undermining it with COVID and other excuses is just childish.

Why would you want to defend Police brutality?

Why do you want to uphold the Polices current legal immunity when killing unarmed people of Color.

Why does it bother you that they are asking for the simple right to a trial?

Encounters with Police should not end in loss of life over minor infractions.

Unless a suspect is actively attacking innocent lives/or Police officers they should not have the right to kill the suspects. However in the United States they seem to have the right to kill colored people all they are asking for is for that to stop.

I still dont get why that offends you?

Does ending police brutality go against your agenda?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

TNTHead

This thread has the same unendless discussions about complex society matters as the usual race thread after the race dealing with all what happened during the race... :) up until people get exhausted and just lay it all to rest.

For me it is good to be aware of injustice and as a society to improve on this. Most of the time things change when a new generation comes. The way the whole world including big money jumped on the BLM leaves me puzzled. At least some selective outrage is taking place by big money. Selective outrage is okay for a protest movement, but when you are part of big money, beware where you rage against, its not easy avoiding to be a hypocrite.

In a way I hope we can race this season without constant discussions going on about politics. Drivers who did not speak out are not bad (as HAM implied) they just kept their mouth shut, being a humble race driver and not an opinion leader. As to be silent is better than to speak as proverbs say

hollus

Mercedes. F1. It is not that difficult.

Cleaning up for indefinite time.

Ooops, this made more sense before the split, didn’t it?
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes changes 2020 livery in fight against racism

They guy that posted the link to the page on the "controversial algorithm" =D> =D> bravo. I did not see it coming that this is exactly what Mercedes Marketing team has done. I fell for it. This Black Mercdes has definitely sparked the debate on diversity in Motorsport and that the car did that went right over my head!

Well done Mercedes marketing team! =D> =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

RZS10

hollus wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 21:29
Mercedes. F1. It is not that difficult.

Cleaning up for indefinite time.
Thanks for not nuking the entire discussion - it was largely constructive and calm =D>

nzjrs

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 23:14
They guy that posted the link to the page on the "controversial algorithm" =D> =D> bravo. I did not see it coming that this is exactly what Mercedes Marketing team has done. I fell for it. This Black Mercdes has definitely sparked the debate on diversity in Motorsport and that the car did that went right over my head!

(that was me)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200615044 ... roversial/

I think it's best to zoom out once further - the less fictional version of that tale is that social media and by extension what bubbles up into news (and marketing opportunities) and unrest is *selected for by the actions of millions of individuals on those platforms*. It's by design
(of those platforms) that the most controversial issues are amplified. It's natural selection for outrage memes.

To be honest the teams don't really interest me, they change week to week and month to month, the game itself is the problem and it's tearing us apart. The only way to win is to not play.
Last edited by nzjrs on 30 Jun 2020, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

LM10

USA has totally different political and environmental structures. In europe we’re glad not to encounter racistic police brutality. But even though european police is exceptional in the majority of the countries, people go on the streets because of what happened in the USA. I don’t like it because this leads to problems here, like hating police in general.

I don’t like behavior and actions for the sake of being political correct. I don’t know what exactly Mercedes’ idea behind that action was, though.
L’Oreal and some other companies have announced that they will ban “whitening” and other similar words from their products. That’s borderline ridiculous.

What about not polarizing in any way? No black, no white, just don’t mention colors. If we mention it, the problem won’t be solved.

Maritimer

I like the look, although I'd imagine the black race suits will make things a bit toasty beyond what they already were.

proteus

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 18:46
proteus wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 17:37
Everything is going far too far. The biggest loser in this is an average Joe, which voice is being silenced and sidelined. If someone from BLM or LGTB+-%@$xyz makes up a lie about this average Joe just for giggles, this poor bastard will get torn apart by media and majority of people.
Yeah, average Joe is the biggest loser, not the people who have been oppressed for the last several hundred years /s
[...] Aparently you dont know exactly what oppression looks like [...]. You need to experience unenployment first, then minimal waged job and so on, even with good education. I did experience all of this without being a person of color so dont try to being smart with me. Where were you when i was being exiled? Oh right, i cant have problems because of my skin color...Get out of your bubble and you will see the true color of the world. It aint black or white, its grey.

Sorry for being off topic.
Last edited by Steven on 01 Jul 2020, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tone it down a bit
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Fulcrum

nzjrs wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 23:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 23:14

(that was me)

https://web.archive.org/web/20200615044 ... roversial/

I think it's best to zoom out once further - the less fictional version of that tale is that social media and by extension what bubbles up into news (and marketing opportunities) and unrest is *selected for by the actions of millions of individuals on those platforms*. It's by design
(of those platforms) that the most controversial issues are amplified. It's natural selection for outrage memes.

To be honest the teams don't really interest me, they change week to week and month to month, the game itself is the problem and it's tearing us apart. The only way to win is to not play.
In full agreement.

Fulcrum

With respect to every potential interpretation of the phrase, Mercedes wouldn't have done this if it didn't look good.

mertol

You're comments/opinion is trying to undermine the validity of the opinions of those contrary to you're own. Good tactic but why does "This crap" bother you? Why does it bother you that they are protesting to end police brutality? IT shouldn't even be an issue at all Police should not be able to kill anyone period and not be held accountable for their actions. Police should only be able to detain you and then process you into the system where a judge and a jury will then deliberate on weather you are actually guilty of a crime. They are only asking to stop the Police's ability to systematically kill colored people in the United States and everyone around the world is showing their support.

Undermining it with COVID and other excuses is just childish.

Why would you want to defend Police brutality?

Why do you want to uphold the Polices current legal immunity when killing unarmed people of Color.

Why does it bother you that they are asking for the simple right to a trial?

Encounters with Police should not end in loss of life over minor infractions.

Unless a suspect is actively attacking innocent lives/or Police officers they should not have the right to kill the suspects. However in the United States they seem to have the right to kill colored people all they are asking for is for that to stop.

I still dont get why that offends you?

Does ending police brutality go against your agenda?
Police are under no obligation to save criminals' lives where do you get that crap? If you are dumb enough to fight the police then don't get upset when you get killed. There isn't even any race involved here.

I was against american gun laws but looking at the riots I get it. I stand corrected.

Gothrek

Racer X wrote:
jumpingfish wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 19:36

I'm not sure the black color can affect to F1 car so much because it doesn't have an air conditioner and speed in F1 is high enough to cool black surfaces by the oncoming airflow
I was about to comment on the "(due to air conditioner use)" which is not at all a factor in an F1 car. Also Renault and Lotus HAAS and other teams have used dark colors in the past and nobody worried about it affecting their performance then.

I wonder if these worries have more to do with Mercedes supporting Black Lives Matter more then a 1.9% increase in carbon dioxide...
It was purely from an engineering point of view. I mention this airco usage in my comment. The reason that the airco has to work more is that things become hotter. So I was really wondering from a physical/engineering point of view if there is any impact. As 1% or 2% is a huge thing in F1. Everything is really packaged very tightly, a small temp increase might impact something, somewhere down the line. So was wondering if there might be some disadvantage.

BLM for me is something purely political and has nothing to do with the actual problems anymore. Also for me not really a topic to discuss here on an F1 forum.

Phil

mertol wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 08:01
Police are under no obligation to save criminals' lives where do you get that crap? If you are dumb enough to fight the police then don't get upset when you get killed. There isn't even any race involved here.

I was against american gun laws but looking at the riots I get it. I stand corrected.
This. If you resist an arrest and seek confrontation, I really don't see what people would expect. Has absolutely zero to do with skin color, but all to do with common sense. I don't see where this belief comes from that one has the right to resist over someone with authoritative power (e.g. the police) and is armed. That's just asking for trouble.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter