Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Ferrari SF1000

To be fair the latest from Italy(mainly Franco Nugnes i think) was: No big upgrades, just the gearbox and a new engine, aero will have to wait.

Amus shuts down the engine claims pretty heavily, apparently because of a rule for this year that says only one engine upgrade, and Ferrari decided to wait. It's entirely possible that there's a more powerful engine in the dyno right now, but Ferrari won't use it yet.
Amus kinda, but not really, touches the gearbox... They throw a lot of stuff in there, slimmer nose, all new rear, engine and... gearbox. And they say Ferrari is not gonna have all that, the car, for the most part, will be the same... But that leaves a window open to interpretation, Ferrari is not gonna have any of that? Or have some things made it(specifically the gearbox which won't be visible from the outside)?

nico5

Sevach wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 04:56
To be fair the latest from Italy(mainly Franco Nugnes i think) was: No big upgrades, just the gearbox and a new engine, aero will have to wait.

Amus shuts down the engine claims pretty heavily, apparently because of a rule for this year that says only one engine upgrade, and Ferrari decided to wait. It's entirely possible that there's a more powerful engine in the dyno right now, but Ferrari won't use it yet.
Amus kinda, but not really, touches the gearbox... They throw a lot of stuff in there, slimmer nose, all new rear, engine and... gearbox. And they say Ferrari is not gonna have all that, the car, for the most part, will be the same... But that leaves a window open to interpretation, Ferrari is not gonna have any of that? Or have some things made it(specifically the gearbox which won't be visible from the outside)?
Amus' article was quite wild and pointless. No engine has been homologated yet, as they only are when they leave the pitlane for the first event. The same applies to aero and chassis, albeit with different rules, so those are ridiculous claims. Before Austria, everything is totally free on the development side (except for the limitations on CFD, wind tunnel, engine tests, etc., but not on what they actually race with)

If they're not bringing anything it rather means they have no actual new bits to bring. Perhaps the car they used in testing was at a later stage of development compared to RB and Merc. I remember Allison saying they signed off their testing package before Christmas, could be Ferrari waited until later

TheFluffy

If what Mattia said is true then it is going to be another rough season for Ferrari. (He said "Therefore we decided to come up with a new programme that looked at the whole car, knowing that not all of it would be ready for the first race. Our aim is to introduce the updates at the third race on 19 July at the Hungaroring.")

It is a shame that it took them after the lockdown break to decide to go on a new development plan. I think the main reason why they are doing this is because they realised that they have another season with these cars so its worth trying to go a completely different path.

If this is the case, 3rd in the constructors in the early part of the season is the best they can do.

MtthsMlw

TheFluffy wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 17:59
If what Mattia said is true then it is going to be another rough season for Ferrari. (He said "Therefore we decided to come up with a new programme that looked at the whole car, knowing that not all of it would be ready for the first race. Our aim is to introduce the updates at the third race on 19 July at the Hungaroring.")

It is a shame that it took them after the lockdown break to decide to go on a new development plan. I think the main reason why they are doing this is because they realised that they have another season with these cars so its worth trying to go a completely different path.

If this is the case, 3rd in the constructors in the early part of the season is the best they can do.
Where does it say they only revised the development after the lockdown? They noticed during testing that the current aero platform isn't performing as expected meaning every development building on it likely isn't as well.
Sure they lost some weeks of development but better get it right now than fall further behind as the season goes on.

Xwang

TheFluffy wrote:

So last year they didn't understand enough the changes of the aerodynamic rules and the management of the less thick tires, they decided not to make updates until they understood the problems and in the end they made some updates at the end of the season postponing to this year all the changes on the chassis part.
Then this year despite the tires and the rules for aerodynamics and the chassis unchanged, they presented a very similar car to the previous one, they managed to make a completely wrong car again and they were also taken by surprise by its low performance?
I hope they are seriously playing a bluff.

LM10

Xwang wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 18:44
TheFluffy wrote:

So last year they didn't understand enough the changes of the aerodynamic rules and the management of the less thick tires, they decided not to make updates until they understood the problems and in the end they made some updates at the end of the season postponing to this year all the changes on the chassis part.
Then this year despite the tires and the rules for aerodynamics and the chassis unchanged, they presented a very similar car to the previous one, they managed to make a completely wrong car again and they were also taken by surprise by its low performance?
I hope they are seriously playing a bluff.
In which way is this year's car "very similar" to last year's car? They've gone for the biggest evolution for years and also one of the bigger evolutions on the grid.

Xwang

IMHO the chassis is the same.
The aerodynamic is slighty different, but IMHO nothing which could not have been done on the SF90.
IMHO the aerodynamic differences between the last evolution of the SF90 and the SF1000 are less than the ones made by mercedes cars between first and second week of test.

lio007

Ferrari is a bit lucky. By regulations they (and the other Teams) cant more or less develop the 22 car so they can spend a big amount of time and ressources on a remarkable SF1000 overhaul

Ringleheim

So Ferrari has a major upgrade coming for Hungaroring, but will run "basic" 2020 car before hand.

It sounds like Mattia wasn't joking back in Australia when he said we would not be challenging for race wins.

I'm having trouble processing this season as a "real" F1 season, and in many ways it is not...but this still doesn't bode well for 2021 and beyond.

I still question whether or not Ferrari has the right key technical personnel in place.

LM10

Xwang wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:50
The aerodynamic is slighty different, but IMHO nothing which could not have been done on the SF90.
IMHO the aerodynamic differences between the last evolution of the SF90 and the SF1000 are less than the ones made by mercedes cars between first and second week of test.
Shorter wheelbase, more rake, very different sidepod area, huge changes to bargeboard area, different nose, changes to upper wishbones, POU system, clearly tighter packaging, different floor. Just to name the obvious ones.

I'm not sure this is considered to be "the same chassis" and I'm not sure there is "nothing which could not have been done on the SF90" either.

Btw, the differences between Mercedes week 1 and week 2 you're talking about are old news as that was in 2019 and not 2020.

Xwang

LM10 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 22:22

Btw, the differences between Mercedes week 1 and week 2 you're talking about are old news as that was in 2019 and not 2020.
Yes of course I was speaking about 2019 Mercedes which was able to evolve in a pair of months (between the first week test car development freeze at the end of December and the second week test car development freeze just in time to have the car ready for the test) more, IMHO, than Ferrari in one year.
Moreover a lot is written on the internet about the SF1000 as a SF90 evo.
There was a comparison of front suspension internals which were exactly the same.

Wynters

Probable repeat of existing info but might have some useful detail?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53160036
Last edited by Wynters on 01 Jul 2020, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.

TheFluffy

MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 18:18
TheFluffy wrote:

Where does it say they only revised the development after the lockdown? They noticed during testing that the current aero platform isn't performing as expected meaning every development building on it likely isn't as well.
Sure they lost some weeks of development but better get it right now than fall further behind as the season goes on.
The first line in the motorsport article. "Team principal Mattia Binotto said that after the lockdown break the team decided to take a major change of direction in order to find more performance from the SF1000, while knowing that the updates would not be ready for the first two races."

Also I think it makes sense that they changed it after because before the lockdown it was not agreed to extend the current regulations to next year. So now they realise this car concept will have an effect in two years' championships instead of one.

TheFluffy

LM10 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 22:22
Xwang wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:50
Shorter wheelbase, more rake, very different sidepod area, huge changes to bargeboard area, different nose, changes to upper wishbones, POU system, clearly tighter packaging, different floor. Just to name the obvious ones.

I'm not sure this is considered to be "the same chassis" and I'm not sure there is "nothing which could not have been done on the SF90" either.

Interestingly, in F1.com they say the new Ferrari car has a longer wheelbase even though I have also seen it from somewhere they decreased the wheelbase so I don't know who is right. The nose is not dramatically different, I think the biggest change is the cokebottle shape of the sidepods they have gone down the route of the red bull concept. But other than that its minor changes (everything expected from season-season development)

dren

They spent the time trying to sort out issues with the car they had in testing. Makes sense before you dump a bunch of upgrades on it, which are coming in 3 races. There is the chance, although unlikely, that the upgrades Mercedes and RB are bringing will not work as intended. I wouldn't write Ferrari off just yet. They've been in the mix the last several seasons.
Honda!