2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
jz11
jz11

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Sierra117 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:55
jz11 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:53
Sierra117 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:47

It's such a rubbish penalty it's not even funny. They could have at least thought about how that corner is entirely downhill and would force cars to go to the outside naturally.
rubbish is you defending him, just couple laps later there was exactly the same thing with Lec and Nor, and somehow they didn't colide... but the 6 time WC couldn't back out and not run into the car that was clearly in front on the outside?

I mean - Ver "made" the overtake on the outside near impossible with some help from the stewards, with the running people out of road on exit, this race we finally have drivers brave enough to take that chance and you still defend the inside guy who clearly ran into the outside one?
Rubbish is you not seeing that he had full lock on.
I'd guess a 6 time WDC would know what to do at full lock and on throttle and still understeering into the guy on the outside...

etusch

turbof1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:46
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:40
turbof1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:36

From my perspective Albon just accelerated with his rear tyre into Hamilton's front tyre. Not something he could have predicted, and I don't think it is fair to blame Albon for that. But it's neither fair for Hamilton. It is a clear racing incident.
When Albon hanged around the outside, and came out with his front wheels ahead, there was nothing more Hamilton could do, he should've made more effort to leave space.
There was space for Albon though:
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2020/ ... ision.html

Hamilton probably couldn't get more on the right side due physics. When he committed to the corner he had an entry speed and that's what he carried through the corner and exit. I think that at that point Hamilton was justified in the decision. Obviously Albon went around the outside and was able to carry a lot more speed and thus ended in front of him, but Hamilton could was already committed to said decision he made when Albon was not in front.

If anything, Albon was technically able to avoid the collision. He had a bit of space on his left. Was Albon entitled to his line? Of course he was. Was Hamilton entitled to his? In my eyes he was, but he was unable to do more anyway. The speed he carried into the corner dictated the line he was going to take on the exit.

This really should have been a racing incident.
if Hamilton didn't move outside it is racing incident for sure. I saw it as it is racing incident but must be looked from onboard of ham. Spaces are not relevant.
Last edited by etusch on 05 Jul 2020, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

rssh wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:42
Grateful to have a fun race at last.

The incident debatable to have more in common to 2016 ROS-HAM than LEC-MAX.

VET is always under confident on poor rear end car. :(

Great to see BOT learn slow driving from HAM 2016. :twisted:
Definitely not. ROS manipulated the steering to intentionally push HAM off track before the apex.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

turbof1

etusch wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:57
turbof1 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

When Albon hanged around the outside, and came out with his front wheels ahead, there was nothing more Hamilton could do, he should've made more effort to leave space.

Hamilton probably couldn't get more on the right side due physics. When he committed to the corner he had an entry speed and that's what he carried through the corner and exit. I think that at that point Hamilton was justified in the decision. Obviously Albon went around the outside and was able to carry a lot more speed and thus ended in front of him, but Hamilton could was already committed to said decision he made when Albon was not in front.

If anything, Albon was technically able to avoid the collision. He had a bit of space on his left. Was Albon entitled to his line? Of course he was. Was Hamilton entitled to his? In my eyes he was, but he was unable to do more anyway. The speed he carried into the corner dictated the line he was going to take on the exit.

if Hamilton didn't move outside it is racing incident for sure. From first side it is racing incident but must be looked from onboard of ham. Spaces are not relevant.
The thing is, Hamilton was always going to move the outside. That's the nature of a corner. Did he move unreasonably to the outside? No, he had his steering wheel clearly pointing to the right.
#AeroFrodo

MtthsMlw

Fulcrum wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:54
MtthsMlw wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:17
Most retirements since what race?
Hockenheim 2018?
That had only 5. Hockenheim 2019 had more but not this many.

cplchanb
cplchanb

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:33
cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:29
El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:19

You could be right. We tend to more remember the occasions where there’s a big win. I do think hands down they are more on the ball than Mercedes and Ferrari though.

Today, Mercedes not stopping for softs was ridiculous, and it cost them the precious one two they sterilised the race halfway through to try and manufacture.
safe bet that they were so far ahead they missed the window when sc was called. the others dived right into the pits so they wouldve lost track position on ailing cars even if they did pit at the end of the lap
No they were in turns 8 and 9 when the safety was announced
you do know that turn 9 is the last cornder right? by the time the order comes they are already on the main straight. the next car had 10 sec to react while merc had 0

AMG.Tzan

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:55
AMG.Tzan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:51
I don't know for sure if Hamilton was on full lock...but at the time i thought so! It's a downhill off camber corner so even if he braked he would have understeered even more onto Albon!

The 5 sec penalty is ok as the stewards were right that he is predominantly to blame for the incident, as he was on the inside!

BUT! Why 2 penalty points?? Isn't it a bit too much??
https://serving.photos.photobox.com/817 ... b89e79.jpg
For me the thing that let's say should have saved Hamilton here, is that he didn't change his steering angle...if he was trying to block or stop Albon from overtaking him, he would have opened up his steering input!

He didn't do that...so i would say it looks like more of a racing incident!

Anyway...Lando on the podium was great!! :D :D
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I think Albon's response during his interview was pretty telling. He stated, practically verbatim, that he was already thinking about Bottas, that he thought he had the move done.

I'm not blaming Albon, I think it was a racing incident, but if he had been entirely focused on the circumstances at hand, I think he would have run a bit wider and given a more space to Hamilton on the inside.

etusch

turbof1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:00

pointing right but if he eased it much more than needed when there is another car it is wrong. But as I said I didn't look at it more than what I saw at live race. So I don't realy know if the penalty is right or not.

By the way this race showed us that there must be at least one day of test a weaks earleir Teams are not so ready.
Last edited by etusch on 05 Jul 2020, 18:06, edited 3 times in total.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

turbof1 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:00
etusch wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:57
turbof1 wrote:

if Hamilton didn't move outside it is racing incident for sure. From first side it is racing incident but must be looked from onboard of ham. Spaces are not relevant.
The thing is, Hamilton was always going to move the outside. That's the nature of a corner. Did he move unreasonably to the outside? No, he had his steering wheel clearly pointing to the right.

You can clearly hear watching the onboard that Ham had some throttle input while he is negotiating the corner. Less throttle input will allow him to take a tighter line and reduce the understeer. To me it is clear that he did not want to relinquish that position. It cost him.
Also Albon got his nose ahead through the apex, on exit he had already half a car on Ham. Ham should have backed off then. Sorry.

tpeman
tpeman

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:42
siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:37
tpeman wrote:
Hamilton did deserve that penalty. The main difference with the situation with Verstappen and Leclerc was the location in the corner. Verstappen was on the racing line in the middle of the corner, where he pushed out Charles. Hamilton and Albon were already slightly beyond the exit of the corner when the collision happened, plus Lewis wasn't full lock, but by this point, Albon was on the racing line. Had Lewis backed off, they wouldn't have crashed.
Maybe you should watch the onboards again
I think we've reached a point where Lewis' haters don't even bother to argue in a semi - logical fashion. They just shout lies.
I watched the onboards. I don't think by providing criticism I am a "hater", it is generally a very overused word. Anyways, here is some footage from his FP3 lap and the moment of the accident. So you say a difference of around 10-15 degrees is "full lock".
Also, I'd like to point out that Albon was heading for the kerb, which obviously isn't in the direction of Lewis.

Full lock

Lewis' lock during the incident

Edit:

Fixed images not showing.
Last edited by tpeman on 05 Jul 2020, 18:17, edited 5 times in total.

PlatinumZealot

Haterz, you win.
Team LH, stand down! Do not partake in this pointless discussion. We will calmly win the championship anyway. O:) O:)

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Sevach
Sevach

turbof1 wrote:
Sevach wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

From my perspective Albon just accelerated with his rear tyre into Hamilton's front tyre. Not something he could have predicted, and I don't think it is fair to blame Albon for that. But it's neither fair for Hamilton. It is a clear racing incident.

How do you upload a print screen because where he ended up no way Hamilton was giving enough room at the exit.
If he miscalculated the speed and his front grip that is still on him.

I give everyone, he wasn't trying to do that, he did his best to give a fair fight, but miscalculated.

Phil

No question, the incident hurt Albon more than Hamilton. One crossed the line in 2nd and end up being 4th, the other... outside the top 10. That in itself says more about who should have and could have.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

falonso81

Hamilton entered the corner at a steep angle because Albon was already there. He knew for sure he was going to understeer, especially with those worn hards, yet he made no effort to avoid the collision. I would not risk a 2nd place like that. Albon was on fresh softs and i bet Hamilton's engineer made him aware of that. Do not tell me he didn't see him because we can clearly see from photos Albon was alongside him and even slightly ahead at the apex.