2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:07
Wynters wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:04
RZS10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:03
An absolute joke of a strategy by Mercedes, same goes for the penalty.
Safety Car strategy has probably been their one consistent weak point over the last few seasons. It's interesting that they haven't managed to address it.
They are poor at any kind of strategy. They are reactive and often caught out by changes in circumstances.

Red Bull are the masters of strategy in F1. Opportunistic, brave and clever.
The strategy dept has by far been the weakest link in the Merc team. They have cost the team at least 10 races from the lead and at least another 5 opportunities to win from behind.

PlatinumZealot

Is anyone else disappointed that Racing point didn't take a pitstop? Perez would have been right behind Albon on softs.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mattyw

Photo shows all you need to know. Albons left wheel is nowhere near the kerb and people still think he wash pushed out. Albon just got better drive out of the corner, it’s not Hamilton’s fault Albons rear tyre drove into his front. If that isn’t a racing incident no idea what is.

Sevach

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:21
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:18
Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:56

That is what happens when overtaking cars on the outside into a corner. There’s a reason why it’s more difficult and thus why pretty much every driver with half a brain will defend the inside of a corner. If Albon has the balls to attempt a move on the outside and at the risk if being pushed wide, he is also accepting it. This isnt anything new.

You are always going to be vulnerable when going around the outside.
Albon is trying a move around the outside because it's risky but legal, he did under the assumption Hamilton would give him room and the knowledge that "pushing a guy wide" isn't part of the rules.
There's a lot of gray area on "how far alongside" you have to be to be entitled to have room, but we can both agree that Albon was more than far enough "alongside" to get it.

Which is why i say Hamilton deserves the penalty he got, tough break for Albon.
https://scontent.fcok4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5F2614B0
Yup, not enough room for Albon and he didnt get it! :roll: :roll:
This is disingenuous at best, idiotic at worst, Albon is still completing the corner while he is still negotiating the corner isn't completely tied to the edges of the track obviously, his trajectory will take him over the curbs in the end.

Hamilton's trajectory is one that will leave him too close to said track edges to give Albon the necessary room.

Fulcrum

Fulcrum wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:16
MtthsMlw wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:02
Fulcrum wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:54

Hockenheim 2018?
That had only 5. Hockenheim 2019 had more but not this many.
Singapore 2017 had 8.
Retirements:

Italy 2011 had 8 + 1 NC.
Korea 2010 had 9.
Monaco 2010 had 9.
Australia 2010 had 9 + 1 DNS.
Spain 2008 had 9.
Australia 2008 had 13 + 1 DSQ.

siskue2005

From these two images u can clearly see there were enough room for Albon to run wider and not hit Lewis
and moreover Lewis was on full lock and he also has every right to hold his line into that corner

The contact happened was unlucky and is just a racing incident, no one to blame there

The Penalty for this was appalling, a simple racing incident penalised to fabricate results and just by emotions without looking into it after the race. (just like the numerous safety cars)

What happened to all the let them race stupidity with black and orange flag shenanigans which was used last year ? why those are not followed?

Just goes to show that FIA are there to fabricate results

sprint car76

Since we're talking about giving room. Watch the first 3 corners at the start where Albon is on the inside. How much room did he give Hamilton? Hamilton got squeezed but is smart enough not to get hit.

siskue2005

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:30
siskue2005 wrote:
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:18

Albon is trying a move around the outside because it's risky but legal, he did under the assumption Hamilton would give him room and the knowledge that "pushing a guy wide" isn't part of the rules.
There's a lot of gray area on "how far alongside" you have to be to be entitled to have room, but we can both agree that Albon was more than far enough "alongside" to get it.

Which is why i say Hamilton deserves the penalty he got, tough break for Albon.
This is disingenuous at best, idiotic at worst, Albon is still completing the corner while he is still negotiating the corner isn't completely tied to the edges of the track obviously, his trajectory will take him over the curbs in the end.
So all that only applies to Albon, Lewis was driving a car with Flux capacitor or something which allows him to teleport?

siskue2005

sprint car76 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:36
Since we're talking about giving room. Watch the first 3 corners at the start where Albon is on the inside. How much room did he give Hamilton? Hamilton got squeezed but is smart enough not to get hit.
Yup, Lewis lost massively in that first corner, coz Lewis knew better to not go outside there and cause a collision.
Albon didnt leave any room at all for Lewis in that corner and Albon was weaving and changing directions into turn 3 all in the first few corners.

Like i said before all these only applies to Lewis! :wtf: :roll:

ENGINE TUNER

Hammerfist wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:16
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:11
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:06

At the moment of collision, albon was ahead and keeping it on the track.
Yes but at the beginning of the corner HAM had committed steering lock. It means that it’s his corner. ALB needs to go round the outside cleanly without taking to the racing line

Hamilton fan here but this one was on him. He did not want to let go of the position and it cost him. As soon as it happened I thought it was going to be a penalty. Albon had about 3/4 of his car ahead, so Hamilton could see him. He should have backed off. Plain and simple. I need to see the onboard again from Hamilton but if he was already on the power at the moment of impact then it is a slam dunk penalty. If he was not on the power and waiting for the car to turn then it becomes more unclear, but to me it is still his fault. These champions sometimes do not like losing their positions even though they already have been lost. Taht is why they are champions but sometimes it bites them in the arse.
What, in your mind, could HAM have done to avoid the contact? Neither getting off the power, nor applying the brakes would've changed his trajectory enough to avoid the contact. ALB was fully at fault for causing the collision, he did not leave enough racing room on the inside, he had more space to move left. Once again the stewards prove themselves to be incompetent.

Sevach

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:36
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:30
siskue2005 wrote:

So all that only applies to Albon, Lewis was driving a car with Flux capacitor or something which allows him to teleport?
What that means is that if Hamilton was to leave room for Albon he would need to be on a tighter trajectory, Albon is gonna be on the curbs Hamilton needs to come up short of the curbs and use less of the track width.

cirrusflyer

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:33
cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:29
El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:19

You could be right. We tend to more remember the occasions where there’s a big win. I do think hands down they are more on the ball than Mercedes and Ferrari though.

Today, Mercedes not stopping for softs was ridiculous, and it cost them the precious one two they sterilised the race halfway through to try and manufacture.
safe bet that they were so far ahead they missed the window when sc was called. the others dived right into the pits so they wouldve lost track position on ailing cars even if they did pit at the end of the lap
No they were in turns 8 and 9 when the safety was announced
BOT and HAM were to close. HAM would have to wait in the pit lane behind BOT for new tyres.
They were afraid of losing 1,2 witch they would! BOT would get out on 1st, HAM wouldnt.
I think that is the reason.
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

Restomaniac

I wonder how many of those slagging Hamilton off for not giving enough room when he did were quick to lay into LeClerc at Monza last year?

falonso81

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:34

https://serving.photos.photobox.com/817 ... b89e79.jpg

From these two images u can clearly see there were enough room for Albon to run wider and not hit Lewis
and moreover Lewis was on full lock and he also has every right to hold his line into that corner
You can also clearly see that there is a right bend after the exit there. If Albon was to go any wider his trajectory would lead him off track. He could not just go straight there. Hamilton did not want to give the place simple as that. As for the penalty, i agree that it was given mostly because Albon lost so many places.

NathanOlder

tpeman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:05
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:42
siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:37

Maybe you should watch the onboards again
I think we've reached a point where Lewis' haters don't even bother to argue in a semi - logical fashion. They just shout lies.
I watched the onboards. I don't think by providing criticism I am a "hater", it is generally a very overused word. Anyways, here is some footage from his FP3 lap and the moment of the accident. So you say a difference of around 10-15 degrees is "full lock".
Also, I'd like to point out that Albon was heading for the kerb, which obviously isn't in the direction of Lewis.

Full lock
https://i.imgur.com/4Byov8Y.png

Lewis' lock during the incident
https://i.imgur.com/4Bn5Ygx.png

Edit:

Fixed images not showing.
You need to understand how steering through a corner works first buddy. Lewis would be on the limit of adhesion (limit of grip) If he adds more lock , the car understeers more. You dont just turn more to go tighter. The cars are on the limit, the front has no more grip to give, If it did, he would have gone faster. Turning the wheel like you want him to would mean the contact with Albon would have been greater.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC