DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sosic2121

Re: DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??

e30ernest wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 08:08
sosic2121 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 07:52
"10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion"

If this quote is true, I can't see how it can possibly be legal.
That doesn't apply because DAS was considered as part of the steering, which has its own set of rules. Read the stewards' decision on Red Bull's protest.
That's just hilarious.

e30ernest

sosic2121 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 08:13
e30ernest wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 08:08
sosic2121 wrote:
"10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion"

That doesn't apply because DAS was considered as part of the steering, which has its own set of rules. Read the stewards' decision on Red Bull's protest.
That's just hilarious.
The steering system and the suspension have different sets of rules. If 10.2.3 applied to steering systems, then any form of steering will be illegal.

The stewards' findings were very clear on why the DAS was legal. Even Red Bull considers this a closed book now.

Moore77

sosic2121 wrote:

DAS is an extension to the steering. It isn't doing anything that the steering isn't doing. While a conventional steering changes the toe angle for both wheels in symmetric direction, DAS is changing it in assymetric direction. Steering can be moved horizontally and vertically as per the regulations. While nobody was utilizing the vertical motion of the steering system, Mercedes have used that capability for DAS.
Hence, it isn't changing suspension beyond what is allowed for a steering system. So, it's legal.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

sosic2121

So the next step is adjustable camber...
DAS is actively changing suspension setup. FIA should have made it clear the first time it was approached by Mercedes.
They haven't and now we to pretend that DAS and toe angle is not part of suspension #-o

subcritical71

sosic2121 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 08:47
So the next step is adjustable camber...
DAS is actively changing suspension setup. FIA should have made it clear the first time it was approached by Mercedes.
They haven't and now we to pretend that DAS and toe angle is not part of suspension #-o
By that thinking, doesn’t traditional steering also become illegal? The loophole exists and has been plugged for 2021 by a rewrite of the affected regulations pertaining to steering.

TwanV

The way of protest by red bull rings alarm bells, my feeling is they are going to milk the explanation by FIA for a million other reasons. The first one is parc ferme.

I think the decision is strange.. Also this cooperation with FIA, the regulating body helped them last year to "lawyer out the legality", and then decided to ban it in 2021 but not in 2020.. Why not in 2020?

Jolle

TwanV wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 11:11
The way of protest by red bull rings alarm bells, my feeling is they are going to milk the explanation by FIA for a million other reasons. The first one is parc ferme.

I think the decision is strange.. Also this cooperation with FIA, the regulating body helped them last year to "lawyer out the legality", and then decided to ban it in 2021 but not in 2020.. Why not in 2020?
Same reason they banned the F-duct, double diffuser and the double DRS the year after it's inception. To allow a team to pick the fruits of their innovation. I think it's still strange for instance that they banned the McLaren corner brake mis season.

falonso81

Can the car turn while the steering column is drawn back? If it can't wouldnt this be considered dangerous? What if the DAS gets stuck during a race?

e30ernest

falonso81 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:17
Can the car turn while the steering column is drawn back? If it can't wouldnt this be considered dangerous? What if the DAS gets stuck during a race?
I think there was a video of Bottas making mid-corner DAS changes so yes the steering is fully functional even with DAS engaged so that isn't a problem.

Bandit1216

Hi All

Now DAS is deemed legal, what do you think about DAS for red bull (and others). Or should we discuss technical implementation in a different topic?

I 'm surprised it's deemed very difficult to incorporate in existing cars to be honest.

Double helix - double rack solution seems no rocket since to me. And why not use a floating steering rack so ackermann changes on the fly. Or I'm I ignorant now?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Just_a_fan

I guess one thing that needs to be looked at is the packaging of the device. In an already congested part of the car, finding room to add the mechanism might be trickier than designing the device itself.

There was discussion about the RedBull have an unusual front suspension layout already - the steering arm location/routing - so maybe this might make it trickier to fit too.

It would be interesting to discuss the system further.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

TwanV wrote:
What aspect of parc ferme can they play with?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 10:43
TwanV wrote:
Changing suspension/steering angles between quali and race?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Holm86

Big Tea wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
TwanV wrote:
So you're not allowed to steer the car??

Big Tea

Holm86 wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:51
Big Tea wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 13:30
Just_a_fan wrote:

So you're not allowed to steer the car??
:D There's always one.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.