Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Red Bull RB16

That's an incredible development. Bigger than anything I was expecting. RB has always had very simple rear wing end plates by comparison. Hopefully this adds a little more consistency in the rear, along with revised settings.
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 20:04
That's an incredible development. Bigger than anything I was expecting. RB has always had very simple rear wing end plates by comparison. Hopefully this adds a little more consistency in the rear, along with revised settings.
This is indeed a long awaited increase of detail at the rear wing end plates of RB. But what does it do, is it for drag reduction?

pierrre
pierrre

Morteza wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 15:31
Comparison of new and old nose (via F1i.com)
that looks like an attempt to get more out of the capes opening angle

godlameroso

TNTHead wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 20:27
godlameroso wrote:
This is indeed a long awaited increase of detail at the rear wing end plates of RB. But what does it do, is it for drag reduction?
If we look at how they're shaped, the seem to bleed air towards the center of the end plates. Likely following the two counter rotating vortecies coming from the floor. This area is also in line with the wake of the rear tire, so perhaps an attempt to clear up that turbulence.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

via AMuS

Pyrone89

Max is using old nose. Car still a handfull in high speed corners woth sudden downforce loss at the back as shown by Albon spin.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

ME4ME

Car seems a bit like a diva, very unpredictable for the drivers. With that said.. Max nailed turn 3 and 4 on his fast lap. That sector was beautiful. Albon looks like he tried to push it a bit in certain places to find the time to match Max, so far in vain because it was a mess of a session for him. Just FP2 though.

TNTHead

ME4ME wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 16:47
Car seems a bit like a diva, very unpredictable for the drivers. With that said.. Max nailed turn 3 and 4 on his fast lap. That sector was beautiful. Albon looks like he tried to push it a bit in certain places to find the time to match Max, so far in vain because it was a mess of a session for him. Just FP2 though.
I dunno... if it is very unpredictable it wouldnt be that fast, look at Ferrari. We know that RB is struggling with aero stability and back end stability since the simplified front wing rule is in place. I suspect they just need more track time to dial the car in and fine tune the aero package.

I am also very curious about the handling in wet circumstances.

Morteza

A clear shot of the new rear wing
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

michl420
michl420

New cooling outlet by the HALO rear mounting point. Different than Barcelona testing.

Wouter

Morteza wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 17:48
A clear shot of the new rear wing
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... r-wing.jpg

Great picture @Morteza, thanks!
The Power of Dreams!

ltitus8900
ltitus8900

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 11:02
I wouldn't trust Horner. He's playing games and trying to scare the FIA in to banning DAS early. How can you get "more extreme"? They can use a DAS system to change the toe-in/out. What are they going to do? Run with 20 degrees of toe? :shock: :lol:
They can control camber?

kistigun

michl420 wrote:New cooling outlet by the HALO rear mounting point. Different than Barcelona testing.
Any pictures?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HD1903 met Tapatalk

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 22:20
TNTHead wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 20:27
godlameroso wrote:

If we look at how they're shaped, the seem to bleed air towards the center of the end plates. Likely following the two counter rotating vortecies coming from the floor. This area is also in line with the wake of the rear tire, so perhaps an attempt to clear up that turbulence.
It looks to me that the end plates are channeling air from the diffuser area over the three new canards/winglets added to the end plates. Like a reverse s-duct on the rear wing.