Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Fer.Fan

Re: Ferrari SF1000

There is still a hope... =P~ [-o< [-o<

wowgr8

Sevach wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 13:19
Ferrari sporting humongous hot air exits in FP1.

Helping the engine breathe easier? Internal airflow?
I hardly remember them running the tighter air exits last year, they almost always had them wide open. The tightest instance I remember was Bahrain

p910iFrank

Has someone info about b-soec planned for Hungary?

MtthsMlw

p910iFrank wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 12:40
Has someone info about b-soec planned for Hungary?
No b-spec planned. I expect some further updates in scale of the recent ones in Hungary as well. Like some bargeboard stuff and maybe a bigger cape.
I don't think they managed to bring everything already.

Xwang

It seems to be back to 2014, where the car was underpowered and then it was also not drivable under the rain when the power should not be an issue.
So it lacks power and drive-ability.

MichaelFerrari

I think it all comes down to politics.
Ferrari designed this car with last year's engine in mind, so hoping to add downforce (less drag) and the best engine on the grid.
They got "caught" and now they must run an underpowered engine with too much downforce to carry.

My gut feeling is that if you put last year's engine in this SF1000, it will be bloody fast, competing with the mercs.

There 's no point bashing Ferrari as if all of a sudde they became dumb in F1.

Their trick was too obvious last year, now they are paying the price!

Don' t try to make me believe no other team is twisting the rules, that's pure hypocrisy.

Ferrari must improve their politics to beat merc, Toto is too good at it.

mmred

MichaelFerrari wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 17:53
I think it all comes down to politics.
Ferrari designed this car with last year's engine in mind, so hoping to add downforce (less drag) and the best engine on the grid.
They got "caught" and now they must run an underpowered engine with too much downforce to carry.

My gut feeling is that if you put last year's engine in this SF1000, it will be bloody fast, competing with the mercs.

There 's no point bashing Ferrari as if all of a sudde they became dumb in F1.

Their trick was too obvious last year, now they are paying the price!

Don' t try to make me believe no other team is twisting the rules, that's pure hypocrisy.

Ferrari must improve their politics to beat merc, Toto is too good at it.
ferrari is behind in every aspect of the car. it will take years to see it back in front

JordanMugen

Xwang wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 17:46
It seems to be back to 2014, where the car was underpowered and then it was also not drivable under the rain when the power should not be an issue.
It is very confusing that the supposedly "high downforce" Ferrari is not more competitive in wet conditions. :?:

I thought the Ferraris would be in the top 5. :oops:

LM10

JordanMugen wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:52
Xwang wrote:
It is very confusing that the supposedly "high downforce" Ferrari is not more competitive in wet conditions. :?:

Yea, today's qualifying showed that the Ferrari not only lacks power, but has significant aero issues. Their cornering was not that bad last week when it was dry, but whatever their aero problem is, there surely is one. And today's qualifying definitely showed that Ferrari indeed must have some big correlation issues.

My guess has been that they might have built the car around a powerful PU, meaning with much downforce and therefore quite draggy, but today there was no sign of that downforce so I'm not sure anymore.

nemanja

LM10 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:57
JordanMugen wrote:
Xwang wrote:

Yea, today's qualifying showed that the Ferrari not only lacks power, but has significant aero issues. Their cornering was not that bad last week when it was dry, but whatever their aero problem is, there surely is one. And today's qualifying definitely showed that Ferrari indeed must have some big correlation issues.

My guess has been that they might have built the car around a powerful PU, meaning with much downforce and therefore quite draggy, but today there was no sign of that downforce so I'm not sure anymore.
They run much less wing than others. Go check pictures yourself. I'm not saying they are great but it should be much better tomorrow in dry race.

LM10

nemanja wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 19:02
LM10 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 18:57
JordanMugen wrote:

They run much less wing than others. Go check pictures yourself. I'm not saying they are great but it should be much better tomorrow in dry race.
You're right about the wing. I hope they will have an easier going in the race tomorrow.

Xwang

My idea is that they have tried to use an higher rake approach (like Red Bull) but neither their tools (wind tunnel, CFD, dynamic simulations) nor their people seems to be able to correctly "manage", understand and develop it.
Moreover they lack power and maybe the engine is less driveable too.
Finally if it is true that the gearbox lacks of rigidity, then they are too much quick (meaning that with a chassis which twist I think it is not posible to have any kind of car performance at all, so in my opinion if the gearbox is flawed then it should be the first part to be fixed otherwise all the data they get meantime are flawed and could lead them to take an even worst development path).
In any case I doubt that they will able to and that they will want to solve anything and they hope that focusing on the 2022 will automatically solve their issues.
But they do not understand that their issues, show that they lack the proper methods to work and so I do not see how they think to obtain a different result while continuing doing the things in the same (wrong) way.
Moreover they are also politically unwise because I really doubt that any of the other team, in their financial situation and with the veto power would have accepted to limit development knowing that they were in such technical troubles (and this is an issue that they have since late 2000s when they agreed to forbid tests when it was the way they used to develop the car. It's like shooting on your feet!!!).

Silent Storm

Why did they not go for high downforce wing? They don't have the straight-line speed to overtake anyone tomorrow so I don't understand why they went for low downforce when it was clear since Thursday it was going to rain on Saturday.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Jolle

Silent Storm wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 19:42
Why did they not go for high downforce wing? They don't have the straight-line speed to overtake anyone tomorrow so I don't understand why they went for low downforce when it was clear since Thursday it was going to rain on Saturday.
because... they would come in last in tomorrow's race?