Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
Silent Storm
Silent Storm
107
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm
Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm
Why did they not go for high downforce wing? They don't have the straight-line speed to overtake anyone tomorrow so I don't understand why they went for low downforce when it was clear since Thursday it was going to rain on Saturday.
because... they would come in last in tomorrow's race?
And they can finish on the podium with a low downforce wing?
There is always a way, and it usually doesn't work.

TimW
TimW
20
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

The fact that the car is bad in the rain does not necessarily mean they do not have high downforce in the dry. The 2018 red bull had high downforce, but was bad in the rain because of the diffuser stalling.

Last week the car seemed better on the tyres than last years car, indicating that downforce has improved.

Jolle
Jolle
255
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm
Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm
Why did they not go for high downforce wing? They don't have the straight-line speed to overtake anyone tomorrow so I don't understand why they went for low downforce when it was clear since Thursday it was going to rain on Saturday.
because... they would come in last in tomorrow's race?
And they can finish on the podium with a low downforce wing?
It gives possibilities (at points at least). High downforce gives even lower straight line speed, being sitting ducks for every body, while a few km in corners is easy defendable.

User avatar
F1NAC
176
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: CRO

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post



Seems that even updates still don't correlate with simulations

Silent Storm
Silent Storm
107
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm
Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm


because... they would come in last in tomorrow's race?
And they can finish on the podium with a low downforce wing?
It gives possibilities (at points at least). High downforce gives even lower straight line speed, being sitting ducks for every body, while a few km in corners is easy defendable.
High downforce would have made sure they qualified higher. As for the race it's easy to defend if you have higher downforce, like redbull-renault combo when they had a big deficit in power. specially covering the inside line. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
There is always a way, and it usually doesn't work.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
530
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

F1NAC wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:08 pm
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 7652771840

Seems that even updates still don't correlate with simulations
Team needs a blood transfusion. The new owners need to fix it. Too much is left on Binnotto. I agree wholeheartedly with Berger when he said that Binotto needs more supporting leaders in his team and the new owners need to acknowledge it.

The 2019 car was designed after Marchionne had died yes, the same time the team was lead by Arrivabene. Perhaps the team was so shaken by his death they didn't do a good job. That 2019 car was blazing fast because of the engine but the chassis was no good. This same car in 2020 is the son of that one, but with a hole in its heart - a hobbled engine. Binotto needs to take the horse by the scruff and get things back to basics - and I think this is what he meant when he said he is building a new engine for 2021 (now 2022).
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . .. .... ..

User avatar
Pyrone89
12
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

At what point do they say: F this, full focus on 2022 (because of homologation 2021 is possibly and probably also already lost).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

User avatar
Pyrone89
12
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 pm
F1NAC wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:08 pm
https://twitter.com/Vetteleclerc/status ... 7652771840

Seems that even updates still don't correlate with simulations
Team needs a blood transfusion. The new owners need to fix it. Too much is left on Binnotto. I agree wholeheartedly with Berger when he said that Binotto needs more supporting leaders in his team and the new owners need to acknowledge it.
Ferrari has new owners?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

User avatar
JordanMugen
84
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 pm
and I think this is what he meant when he said he is building a new engine for 2021 (now 2022).
Is that allowed? Aren't engines partially frozen to 2020 specification?

User avatar
Pyrone89
12
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:12 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 pm
and I think this is what he meant when he said he is building a new engine for 2021 (now 2022).
Is that allowed? Aren't engines partially frozen to 2020 specification?
1 change is allowed per part as I read it. So not sure how much 'new' he meant.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini
19
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:51 pm
Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm
Why did they not go for high downforce wing? They don't have the straight-line speed to overtake anyone tomorrow so I don't understand why they went for low downforce when it was clear since Thursday it was going to rain on Saturday.
because... they would come in last in tomorrow's race?
And they can finish on the podium with a low downforce wing?


Why put a bigger rear wing on a car that lack speed on the straight ? It's just dumb. .
The race will be dry, that's why they have to have a slim rear wing. If the race would have been wet they wouldn't have to worry about the drag and we could have seen the real performance of the chassis.

The lack of good engine punish them in case of wet quali and dry race. If the race is dry, it's much better for Ferrari to have a dry quali.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini
19
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 am

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Jolle wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm
Silent Storm wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:58 pm


And they can finish on the podium with a low downforce wing?
It gives possibilities (at points at least). High downforce gives even lower straight line speed, being sitting ducks for every body, while a few km in corners is easy defendable.
High downforce would have made sure they qualified higher. As for the race it's easy to defend if you have higher downforce, like redbull-renault combo when they had a big deficit in power. specially covering the inside line. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
I suggest to you to watch the first lap of the last race. Especially after T1.

Just for recall Ferrari are 10 km/h slower than others in straight line, win a low DF rear wing.

For RV you are wrong, they were racing with a slim EW everytime because of their lack of power.

On a car you want balance, enough downforce but enough straight line speed, not too much striaght line speed (2019 Ferrari) or too much DF without having the speed on the straight (2017, 2020 cars)

Ringleheim
Ringleheim
17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

Pyrone89 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:58 pm
At what point do they say: F this, full focus on 2022 (because of homologation 2021 is possibly and probably also already lost).
They should be saying that right now. New updates and the car was nearly 2.5 seconds off the pace---in the rain.

Don't forget, it's a short season this year too. Less time to solve this year's problems.

But you don't tweak 2 seconds + into a car with aero bits and pieces anyway.

They need an entirely new engine, and a clean sheet redesign of the car.

If I was running Ferrari, I would be investing EVERYTHING right now in the new regulation car. It's the only chance they are going to have to catch Mercedes (or anyone else) for years to come.

Binotto is clearly not the man for the job. He should be left doing technical work alone.

donskar
donskar
24
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:41 pm
Location: Cardboard box, end of Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

I'm a Ferrari fan; have been since the 1960s. I wonder: is it time for Ferrari to reconsider their commitment to F1? Is losing badly in F1 a positive marketing exercise?
Weak engine. Poor aero. No sign of improvement on the horizon (updates don't work). Where is that light at the end of the tunnel?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Bill
Bill
9
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Post

they just need to bring back Maurizio Arrivabene ,and send Binotto back to tech director role.the were second best for multiple seasons no need to get emotional they will recover.