Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gdw
gdw

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Are we able to infer anything from the Q3 results of the 2nd austrian gp? A high downforce car should have fared better than the rest of the field in the rain. no? the rain should have levelled the playing field in terms of power difference and yet they have done worse. So, does that mean the Ferrari PU has lost a lot more power than it seemed to be? and does the updates for this gp make this kind of comparison meaningless?

aleks_ader

As i mentioned that here before i thnk Ferrari could gamble the whole system without cnsuming more as they declared. Ofcourse they could simply drive with more fuel in tank and fool the fia scales that way. But here i have idea how i think Ferrari could play with average consumption values from ultrasonic sensor.

As we know FIA integrates the acquisited fuel flow samples and calculated total mass flow. Hence they get the actual consumed value. Then they compare that value with actual weight of car and sucked out fuel from tank.

They could fool the system by sacrifice the power under non load situations. They could just play the musical chairs between MAX power and low power demand situation too stay at the and of race in FIA approved tolerances for acquisited values.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Sieper

I too think It worked liked that. And if there were not enough spots where you could have part throttle during a qualy lap a Slow inlap can help you.

Sieper

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 01:02
Jolle wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 00:51
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 00:45

Who ran out of fuel? And when?
I think, if you would go full paranoia, you could think that (I think it was) Abu Dhabi, but personally I don’t think he did.
Ran out of fuel and still finished 2 positions ahead of VET andon the podium? Impressive car pushing skills
Vettel spun, damaged his FW (Actually ran over it) and lost a enormous amount of time. He was not in contention anymore. Plus both Renault ran dry tanks as wel bringing out the safety car and allowing Leclerc to retain his position.

nacho

Kimi had to save fuel for the last 20 laps for some reason.

ENGINE TUNER

nacho wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:11
Today?

isullivan

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:43
nacho wrote:
Today?
Yes, he said it after the race. With no safety cars, and no oil burning last year's amount wasn't enough I guess.

Jolle

isullivan wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 10:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
nacho wrote:
Today?
Yes, he said it after the race. With no safety cars, and no oil burning last year's amount wasn't enough I guess.
All cars need to save fuel. Over a race distance it’s faster to under fuel a bit (except Monza maybe). Oil burning has nothing to do with it.

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:56
isullivan wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Today?
All cars need to save fuel. Over a race distance it’s faster to under fuel a bit (except Monza maybe). Oil burning has nothing to do with it.
Oil burning could have some to do with it. It helps stop detonation and so they can extract more energy/power out of the same amount of fuel.

But in this case, I think everyone was expecting more safety cars which never showed up. The same amount of fuel for race 1 would not have been sufficient for race 2.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 13 Jul 2020, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 15:40
Jolle wrote:
isullivan wrote:

Oil burning could have some to do with it. It helps stop detonation and so they can extract more energy/power out of the same amount of fuel.

But in this case, I think everyone was expecting more safety cars which never showed up. The same amount of fuel for race 1 would not have been sufficient for race 2.
Burning a bit of oil doesn't make you use more or less fuel, it could give you a bit more power.

nacho

Yeah, maybe Alfa Romeo took a risk and anticipated more safety car action.

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 16:23
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Burning a bit of oil doesn't make you use more or less fuel, it could give you a bit more power.
Anything that effects power will effect fuel usage, especially in a fuel limited formula.

Jolle

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 16:49
Jolle wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Anything that effects power will effect fuel usage, especially in a fuel limited formula.
Yeah... well.. if you burn oil to save fuel you’re doing it wrong... a kg of fuel has more energy then a kg of oil.

The oil burning trick supposed to be to burn 100kg/h fuel and 3kg/h oil. Not 97kg/h fuel and 3kg/h oil. Take out the oil, and you’re still on the same amount of fuel, just less lower.

ENGINE TUNER

Jolle wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 17:08
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 16:49
Jolle wrote:

Yeah... well.. if you burn oil to save fuel you’re doing it wrong... a kg of fuel has more energy then a kg of oil.

The oil burning trick supposed to be to burn 100kg/h fuel and 3kg/h oil. Not 97kg/h fuel and 3kg/h oil. Take out the oil, and you’re still on the same amount of fuel, just less lower.
I don't know why you think the oil is less energy dense, but otherwise that the oil increases the octane level so you can increase power or run leaner, so it isn't a replacement for fuel, but can help you extract more energy from the fuel you do use. It can help you advance timing which will increase power at the crank and at the mguh. Don't think of it being used as a replacement, think about it being used as an enhancement, an octane booster.

PlatinumZealot

I am almost Oil likely detonates easier than fuel. Oil probably isnt even atomized properly without proper heating. Imagine having gaseous oil in there. Thats what you coil an oil mist explosion!

As said above... You add 3kg of oil to 100kg NOT 3kg of oil to 97kg of fuel.. That would be power loss.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏