Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach

Re: Ferrari SF1000

warpomex wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 09:25
No new nose for Hungary?
If there's a new nose or airbox they are well hidden inside the garage...

I suspect the old FW produces more downforce, while the new one is "cleaner", since this is Hungary...

MtthsMlw

If they want to bring a new nose it should happen before the Italian GP, otherwise they had to spend their two tokens on it.

Fer.Fan

:D
MtthsMlw wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 11:02
If they want to bring a new nose it should happen before the Italian GP, otherwise they had to spend their two tokens on it.
They will not bring new nose, not during 2020. They didn’t even bring new parts to this race, they are so far behind regarding aero and downforce compared to MB and Red Bull. Just look at their aero work, it looks underdevelopt compared to W11.

aleks_ader

MtthsMlw wrote:
But to be honest. If u had correlation or whatever aero issues what is the point?

Remember Mclaren in 2018 when they bring the new Nose at Catalunya GP. Huge change but that dint make car faster. Afterwards they discover fundamental aero error. Front tire wake and bargeboards interaction they could not predict. That interaction really disturbed the flow structures they tried to set with new nose, front wings and cascades towards the rear of the car. They are many more points i could add but i think u get the the point i wanna deliver. So fix fundamentals first, then worry about details. Especially if that mean huge intervention like front Nose.

Ofc they could rush before they need to spend two tokens but that would be not avail good results if is poor engineered and understood. ! That hurry in Ferrari engineering culture needs go away. To be honest i dont know if they have that culture ingrained deeply into system. That is also blame culture that everybody wants to Talk about.

I was under impression the main mantra "not blame everyone" from Arivebenne and Matia as TD was almost gone. And results really delivered good cars. Almost winners in some areas they set the standard of developments. So example floor, PU development and push the rulebook to the breaking point many times (sidepod wing, mirrors, oilburning, ers sys, battery, flow sys, 2019 outwashwing, brakedrums 2019).

I think Matia (or whoever gets the TP or TD) and team need NOT rush things to get something done. IMO
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Mr. Fahrenheit

warpomex wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 09:25
No new nose for Hungary?
On Sky Italia during FP3 they were suggesting the new nose will arrive at Silverstone. Not as thin as the Mercedes but less ant-eatery.

Sevach

aleks_ader wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 12:37
MtthsMlw wrote:
But to be honest. If u had correlation or whatever aero issues what is the point?

Remember Mclaren in 2018 when they bring the new Nose at Catalunya GP. Huge change but that dint make car faster. Afterwards they discover fundamental aero error. Front tire wake and bargeboards interaction they could not predict. That interaction really disturbed the flow structures they tried to set with new nose, front wings and cascades towards the rear of the car. They are many more points i could add but i think u get the the point i wanna deliver. So fix fundamentals first, then worry about details. Especially if that mean huge intervention like front Nose.

Ofc they could rush before they need to spend two tokens but that would be not avail good results if is poor engineered and understood. ! That hurry in Ferrari engineering culture needs go away. To be honest i dont know if they have that culture ingrained deeply into system. That is also blame culture that everybody wants to Talk about.

I was under impression the main mantra "not blame everyone" from Arivebenne and Matia as TD was almost gone. And results really delivered good cars. Almost winners in some areas they set the standard of developments. So example floor, PU development and push the rulebook to the breaking point many times (sidepod wing, mirrors, oilburning, ers sys, battery, flow sys, 2019 outwashwing, brakedrums 2019).

I think Matia (or whoever gets the TP or TD) and team need NOT rush things to get something done. IMO
That's not the only example... Red Bull went narrow for this season and their car got worst.
They had a second version nose already, but dropped for the older version.

This is tough spot, the gap is so large there's no way to be optimistic about 2021, plus restrictions to development...
This would a time to reconsider everything, but rules don't allow that.

Fer.Fan

That's not the only example... Red Bull went narrow for this season and their car got worst.

This is tough spot, the gap is so large there's no way to be optimistic about 2021, plus restrictions to development...
[/quote]

Can Ferrari pull out of 2020 championship duo to covid shut down back in mars? I mean they are on back foot with development of sf1000. While Italy had shot down in Englad rest of F1 teams had time to develop their cars. Specially PU, Ferrari now have the worst PU on the grid.

siskue2005

Sevach wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 16:58

I dont think the narrow nose is the reason for them to go back
Racing point shifted to narrow nose this year and look at them go

So it is not the issue with narrow nose, instead the entire package working with that nose.

Fer.Fan

siskue2005 wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 19:09
Sevach wrote:

Racing point is copy of W10.

So it is not the issue with narrow nose, instead the entire package working with that nose.

f1316

Fer.Fan wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 18:50

Can Ferrari pull out of 2020 championship duo to covid shut down back in mars? I mean they are on back foot with development of sf1000. While Italy had shot down in Englad rest of F1 teams had time to develop their cars. Specially PU, Ferrari now have the worst PU on the grid.
[/quote]

It definitely seems like their issues were compounded by covid - a. Because of a longer shutdown in Italy (with Mercedes and Honda able to introduce new PUs for the start of the season) b. Because covid drove the new restrictive regulations which makes it harder to catch up on the PU side. It’s really the perfect storm and couldn’t have happened at a worse time.

In any case, I’d be curious if anyone has any information on the new gearbox casing and if it was run this weekend? It seems they didn’t do anything to the radiators yet - Mark Hughes suggested this would come at Silverstone - and they’ve reverted to the original FW. So in some ways it’s encouraging that they have made reasonable progress (vs. Everyone bar Mercedes) with ‘just’ the floor and diffuser updates but curious to understand if the gearbox stiffness issue has or hasn’t been resolved yet.

falonso81

They made some gains but the Hungaroring is flattering the Ferrari. Lets wait to see the performance in Silverstone. I believe they will be miles off the pace.

Sevach

siskue2005 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

What all of us should understand is that there's no "best nose" in isolation, RP went thin and got a big performance jump because the rest of their car is perfectly tailored for that nose.

mmred

Sevach wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 02:07
siskue2005 wrote:
Sevach wrote:

What all of us should understand is that there's no "best nose" in isolation, RP went thin and got a big performance jump because the rest of their car is perfectly tailored for that nose.
Rp cant be taken seriously in any comparison

as for the new nose, aerodinamic is very influenced by the way you decide to handle the fluxes at the front: when you change nose and not just a cosmetic change or a localized improvement at the front you may just need to remake all the rest of the car accordingly as it has been said...

Blackout

MtthsMlw wrote:
Wont the nose freezing take place this wednesday july 22?

MtthsMlw

Blackout wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 09:06
MtthsMlw wrote:
Wont the nose freezing take place this wednesday july 22?
Technical regs seem to have changed again. Now it's the 30th September.
On this wednesday they had to inform the FIA that they're planning a change.