Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Alakshendra

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Yesterday qualifiers show how superior is Mercedes with respect to the grid, a difference of 1 sec in qualifiers shows they have an incredible pace.

All of this does make me curious how they are so fast, Ferrari got a straight-line speed in 2019 and the whole grid was on us saying Ferrari is cheating and when Mercedes is so fast no one even trying for any investigations? how is their PU simply giving this much power?

z.topoln

Difference is that Ferrari was fast only in straight line.

Merc is fast everywhere, so few tenths in straights ,few tenths in slow turns, few in fast turns, few through mechanical and braking stability,maybe a tenth from DAS and i guess Hamilton is worth a tenth also...and you get to a second difference. But its whole package (engine, aero, susp, brakes, tyre management amd driver) thats practically best on grid in all the separate fields.

So its many little things combining to an awesome machine. Where do you even start looking?

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

z.topoln

To add : this years merc engine is less powerfull than last years ferrari engine.

Blackout

Okay thanks.

nico5

z.topoln wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 10:02
To add : this years merc engine is less powerfull than last years ferrari engine.

Based on?

mclaren111

z.topoln wrote:

But Ferrari were cheating....

Mr.G

z.topoln wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 10:01

Merc is fast everywhere, so few tenths in straights ,few tenths in slow turns, few in fast turns, few through mechanical and braking stability,maybe a tenth from DAS and i guess Hamilton is worth a tenth also...and you get to a second difference. But its whole package (engine, aero, susp, brakes, tyre management amd driver) thats practically best on grid in all the separate fields.

So its many little things combining to an awesome machine. Where do you even start looking?

Keep believing that. Ferrari is no worse than the other teams. Don't you see the puffs of smoke from Mercedes engines on the same corner?, don't you see the flexing rear wings on RedBulls? don't you see that Racing Point is not copied from pictures?

Mercedes is the biggest la(w)yer in the field and they're getting more and more cockier and arrogant and many people still thinks they're honest and innocent...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

mclaren111 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 10:37
z.topoln wrote:

But Ferrari were cheating....
Why then they're wasn't disqualified?
Last edited by Mr.G on 19 Jul 2020, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mr.G

z.topoln wrote:

BTW: Ferrari wasn't fast only on straights, they were fast on corner exits with supperior acceleration, they were fast on starts, they were on par at most of corners... Actually they lost mainly on slow corners...

Alakshendra

z.topoln wrote:

Thanks, but still 1 sec a lap quicker, i still feel there is something wrong but other teams are not able to catch them. 1 sec is a huge margin.

henry

Alakshendra wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 11:39

Thanks, but still 1 sec a lap quicker, i still feel there is something wrong but other teams are not able to catch them. 1 sec is a huge margin.
In this fuel restricted, efficiency formula, gains are compounded.

In qualifying if you go faster you get to run the higher PU modes for a greater percentage of the lap which makes you even faster.

In the race you can run lower fuel which in turn means faster lap times, or the same lap times with lower stress on PU, tyres and brakes. Which means shorter race time which is the objective.

It doesn’t matter if the improved lap time comes from better aero or PU or driver. The faster you go the faster you can go.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

mmred

henry wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 13:24
Alakshendra wrote:

In qualifying if you go faster you get to run the higher PU modes for a greater percentage of the lap which makes you even faster.

In the race you can run lower fuel which in turn means faster lap times, or the same lap times with lower stress on PU, tyres and brakes. Which means shorter race time which is the objective.

It doesn’t matter if the improved lap time comes from better aero or PU or driver. The faster you go the faster you can go.
you re right monsieur lapalisse

Alakshendra

henry wrote:
Alakshendra wrote:

But don't you think all run on high PU for qualifying and still whole grid is like 1 sec behind the merc. What i feel is how they are so good without doing nothing wrong. When ferrari was quick just at straights whole merc started to make hell lot of noise but here both merc's being 1 sec fast and still no one even raises a question?

NoDivergence

Alakshendra wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 15:52
henry wrote:
Alakshendra wrote:

But don't you think all run on high PU for qualifying and still whole grid is like 1 sec behind the merc. What i feel is how they are so good without doing nothing wrong. When ferrari was quick just at straights whole merc started to make hell lot of noise but here both merc's being 1 sec fast and still no one even raises a question?
The car is good everywhere, especially corners. Tell, me, how did they cheat to have their car handle and corner so well?