2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

Fer.Fan wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:36
Restomaniac wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:32
F1NAC wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:29

Well. Kvyat didn't get any response on his question(there is a video on reddit). Were they ignoring him cause they were running towards pitwall or they intentionally didn't respond to avoid penalty that is another matter
Maybe so.
FIA/Mercedes assistence looks fine... No penalty for Bottas but tuff one for any other driver or team.
Yeah, something stinks about that. He absolutely should have been penalised. But the only comfort is that Vettel got away with the exact same thing, with the exact same explanation, last season.

I see Albon has got away without a penalty for the drying of the grid box. So in that case I assume every team can now do this before every single wet start from now and just say 'oops. It was an accident.'

RZS10

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:34
Stroll got hard done by after his first stop. I am not sure what happened there.. Maybe he didn't maximize on in-lap. But whatever it was Max pitted later and on his inters jumped Stroll.
I think Stroll got stuck behind the Haas boys who both got slicks before the start.
yep ... if i don't misremember he got out slightly ahead, next to or at least very close to the HAAS cars and struggled in the first few corners with his slicks and then got stuck behind them.

El Scorchio

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he manages to keep car 77 behind him more often than not. Shocking display from Bottas today.
Max had a great race and should rightly get plaudits, especially considering what happened on the way to the start would have affected a lot of other drivers but he brushed it right off.

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 21:52
I wouldn't be overly surprised if he manages to keep car 77 behind him more often than not. Shocking display from Bottas today.
Max had a great race and should rightly get plaudits, especially considering what happened on the way to the start would have affected a lot of other drivers but he brushed it right off.
Also his start was fenomenal. This man deserves a decent car so everybody can see his talent.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 21:32
Fer.Fan wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Maybe so.
FIA/Mercedes assistence looks fine... No penalty for Bottas but tuff one for any other driver or team.
Yeah, something stinks about that. He absolutely should have been penalised. But the only comfort is that Vettel got away with the exact same thing, with the exact same explanation, last season.

I see Albon has got away without a penalty for the drying of the grid box. So in that case I assume every team can now do this before every single wet start from now and just say 'oops. It was an accident.'
Or none can, and certainly not RBR. I am a bit happy about this as the penalty would be for Albon but he did nothing wrong.

MtthsMlw

Third race where the teams couldn't choose their tyre allocations. Haven't noticed any difference so far. I think they can keep that procedure.

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:26
El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 21:52
Also his start was fenomenal. This man deserves a decent car so everybody can see his talent.
Wonderful start. It would be nice if the Red Bull was a little more competitive this season as he's certainly the one man capable of making it not a procession. Splitting the Mercs today was certainly no mean feat. It could have been different on a track easier to overtake on but Bottas barely got close enough. Excellent drive.

Restomaniac

El Scorchio wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
Maybe so.

The logic of it is mind blowing. By the logic that only the sensor can be used then a driver can set off at the first red light and be at turn 3 before the rest leave and as long as the sensor doesn’t trigger the stewards are powerless to do anything about it. Why is nobody asking them to explain this rather idiotic viewpoint? If a clear early movement is seen whilst the lights are still on it doesn’t and shouldn’t need a bloody sensor!

El Scorchio

Restomaniac wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:39
El Scorchio wrote:
Fer.Fan wrote:

The logic of it is mind blowing. By the logic that only the sensor can be used then a driver can set off at the first red light and be at turn 3 before the rest leave and as long as the sensor doesn’t trigger the stewards are powerless to do anything about it. Why is nobody asking them to explain this rather idiotic viewpoint? If a clear early movement is seen whilst the lights are still on it doesn’t and shouldn’t need a bloody sensor!
Completely agree- and would they have punished him if his jump start had put him in the lead of the race? You have to say it's unfortunate if his dash display malfunctioned but the rules are the rules.

Restomaniac

El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:45
Restomaniac wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:39
El Scorchio wrote:

Completely agree- and would they have punished him if his jump start had put him in the lead of the race? You have to say it's unfortunate if his dash display malfunctioned but the rules are the rules.
If I’m Williams I’m wondering if it’s worth throwing the dice on it. If your likely to be last anyway why not just set off and hope your sensor isn’t working whilst remembering the last 2 times they seem not to be. What are they going to do give you a time penalty? :lol:

piast9

By the way, I've reviewed on-boards of Botas and Hamilton from the start. In Botas' car the first part of the shift indicator LED bar (which is red) lit on for few seconds before the start and then went off. That disappearing red light triggered Botas to start. He mentioned it in the interview. In Hamilton's car shift indicator was not lit.

xwz
xwz

F1NAC wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:11
Penalty for both Haas cars for instructing drivers to pit (+10s). Also no penalty for Albon
To fine the Haas drivers for violating a regulation worded "the driver must drive the car alone and unaided" is a bit questionable when looking at their full radio exchanges.

Both drivers raised the question of pitting on their own, independantly from their race engineers.

(Magnusson: "We're ill-fitted, there's a dry line already", Grosjean: "Track's drying up - one could be tempted to go for slicks" [spoiler: re-translated from German, source: motorsport-total.com]
After some consideration, the engineers came back with: "OK, box!", and for this they got fined.)
Had they said "We're ready in case you want to come in, but it's totally your own decision", would they be fine now? If yes, the whole thing is a bit hair-splitting, isn't it?

I would see it like this: As both drivers initiated the question about going for slicks individually and un-aided, the spirit of regulation 27.1. can be considered not having been broken, therefore no fine necessary.

On the other hand, I can't understand how Red Bull gets away with drying the asphalt with blowers - dry spots were clearly visable, contrary to Horner's flapsy comment - in a situation where it's hard to understand why there would be any need of external cooling at all at that point in time? Do I miss some information here?

ENGINE TUNER

At least F1 stewarding is consistent... consistently HORRIBLE.

F1 is the worst officiated sport on earth.

Restomaniac

piast9 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:03
By the way, I've reviewed on-boards of Botas and Hamilton from the start. In Botas' car the first part of the shift indicator LED bar (which is red) lit on for few seconds before the start and then went off. That disappearing red light triggered Botas to start. He mentioned it in the interview. In Hamilton's car shift indicator was not lit.
If Bottas was looking at his rev indicator instead of the actual things he needed to be looking at (the 5 big red lights) then he’s a dumbass. It’s an excuse just as the brake glazing was an excuse last week.

ME4ME

What were Ferrari even thinking. All through the weekend the soft had gone off after a few laps, somethings within a lap. Now they were filled with fuel and eventuelly i'd be bone dry. When Charles sees that clip he'll be bad at himself not questioning Ferrari's strategy call.