2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

The videos I saw of the alleged Albon drying fiasco suggested to me that the mechanics had blowers directing air into the radiator inlets to cool the engine or rear brakes. I don't see any attempt to dry the track and the suggestion that they dried the track where the front wheels were sitting would not make any difference to the spinning rear wheels as the lights go out.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

El Scorchio

Restomaniac wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 21:39
NathanOlder wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 21:36
Oh, I thought it was more like an interview after complaining.
No he was moaning straight away. I had to laugh at the hypocrisy. :D
He’d be an idiot not to, to be fair. Although i do hate how the drivers ‘tell on each other’ by mentioning things on the radio to the pits, knowing full well it’s monitored, even if sometimes it’s the only way of drawing attention to something.

cooken

"Moaning". As if. He came on the radio and calmly stated that Bottas jumped the start, which he did. It was a simple factual statement made to inform his team, because it could be favorable to their final race result.

Now, I'm as big a Vettel hater as any, but calling it complaining or moaning is.... well it's moronic.

Liberty has been trying to capture a wider audience, pandering to a lower common denominator. I wonder if that has anything to do with the apparent plummeting of average IQ displayed on this forum. Or maybe I'm just growing older and more curmudgeonly.

e30ernest

El Scorchio wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 01:23
Restomaniac wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
He’d be an idiot not to, to be fair. Although i do hate how the drivers ‘tell on each other’ by mentioning things on the radio to the pits, knowing full well it’s monitored, even if sometimes it’s the only way of drawing attention to something.
I don't think it's any different to football and basketball players over-exaggerating or faking a foul. :mrgreen: All part of the game IMO.

Restomaniac

El Scorchio wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
He also has a history of a complete lack of self awareness as is shown again here.

El Scorchio

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 04:07
El Scorchio wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
He also has a history of a complete lack of self awareness as is shown again here.
He does somewhat. Although that’s a trait shared by a fair few of them!

Wynters

Sieper wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 13:19
It was not his intention to play foul, he just made a mistake. Intentional foul play is usually punished (and rightfully so) harder. a DSQ perhaps? If you start flooring on very false starts it might be considered a danger.
I looked into this when it last flared up with the question "If you floored it the instant the lights started going red, could you build enough of an advantage to offset the punishment"?

The regs give some flexibility but allow a punishment of up to a 10-second stop/go penalty so, best case scenario, you'd need to get 30+ seconds down the road between the lights starting going red and them going out. If your car is fast enough to do that, I don't think you'd need to jump the start :lol:

With the flexibility, it's best to try and minimise the offence as much as possible to get as small a punishment as possible.

SiLo

Wynters wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 14:38
Sieper wrote:
It was not his intention to play foul, he just made a mistake. Intentional foul play is usually punished (and rightfully so) harder. a DSQ perhaps? If you start flooring on very false starts it might be considered a danger.
I looked into this when it last flared up with the question "If you floored it the instant the lights started going red, could you build enough of an advantage to offset the punishment"?

The regs give some flexibility but allow a punishment of up to a 10-second stop/go penalty so, best case scenario, you'd need to get 30+ seconds down the road between the lights starting going red and them going out. If your car is fast enough to do that, I don't think you'd need to jump the start :lol:

With the flexibility, it's best to try and minimise the offence as much as possible to get as small a punishment as possible.
Probably from the back of the grid this would be viable. But I think they would be punished greater surely? teams would protest.
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

Wynters wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Would you still get the penalty for going through a red light, yellow flags, passing under grid order etc tacked on?
Plus the start would probably be aborted and you forced to start from the back anyway :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

Omg, this would be gold. I would love to see this being attempted and the stewards inability to punish accordingly.

“Err, the sensor didnt register a jump start”

“There is no rule that allows us to punish this offence for more than a 10 sec stop/go.”

:lol:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

sosic2121

Wynters wrote:
Sieper wrote:

I think something like that actually happened in DTM some 20 years ago.