Nurburgring, Autodromo do Algarve, and Imola in 2020

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Nurburgring, Autodromo do Algarve, and Imola in 2020

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 14:14
240 minutes of practice for a ~90min race.
I think sooner or later we'll see a single 90min session ahead of Qualifying. Either Friday or Saturday.
They should change fp3 into a 45 minute reverse wdc position grid sprint race. Take the results of that sprint race and add them to qually to form the grid for the race on sunday. Ticket sales and tv viewership would skyrocket.

ENGINE TUNER

notsofast wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:04
Perhaps we need to revisit the whole parc ferme thing. Most of the time now, the difference between qualifying pace and race pace is the "party mode". Perhaps it doesn't matter anymore whether cars are kept in parc ferme. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Sunday Morning Warmup on tracks without support races.
The warmup is useless, the track is open for like 30 minutes just before the race, far more useful information than a cold track hours before the race.

Manoah2u

it's interesting that the entire 2020 season will only take place in Europe.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Jul 2020, 12:01
Nürburgring 9-11 October
Portugal 23-25 October
Imola 30-1 October/November

I guess after these three there might be 2 races at Bahrain and the final in Abu Dhabi.
16GPs overall.
Since no fans, they should let the drivers vote on if they should drive the Nordschleife instead of the Tilke sanitation next to it.

Zynerji

notsofast wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:04
Perhaps we need to revisit the whole parc ferme thing. Most of the time now, the difference between qualifying pace and race pace is the "party mode". Perhaps it doesn't matter anymore whether cars are kept in parc ferme. I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the Sunday Morning Warmup on tracks without support races.

I'm a big fan of this idea in the current era. Maybe a mixed up grid due to a quali setup translated to the starting grid with race setups could give some entertainment, and give the teams another task to master.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 09:47
MtthsMlw wrote:
Nürburgring 9-11 October
Portugal 23-25 October

I guess after these three there might be 2 races at Bahrain and the final in Abu Dhabi.
16GPs overall.
Since no fans, they should let the drivers vote on if they should drive the Nordschleife instead of the Tilke sanitation next to it.
1. You still need marshals, and lots of them because it's so big.
2. The cars would probably struggle on the relatively bumpy track. By the time they've lifted the ride height sufficiently, their performance would probably be rubbish anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 09:54
Zynerji wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 09:47
MtthsMlw wrote:
Nürburgring 9-11 October
Portugal 23-25 October

16GPs overall.
1. You still need marshals, and lots of them because it's so big.
2. The cars would probably struggle on the relatively bumpy track. By the time they've lifted the ride height sufficiently, their performance would probably be rubbish anyway.
1. Volunteers already, ask the ones that are coming already to bring some friends.

2. Maybe putting 15mm of ride height under these cars would tighten the field, and the sport would be better for that.

I bet the drivers would vote, to the man, to race the Green Hell. It would be Historic, and if ANY season could break the rules on it, it would be 2020!

The Q3 times will live in the record books for a LONG time.

6 of 12

Am I missing something or why is the GP on the Nürburgring called Eifel GP and not German GP? Would that not only make sense if you are planning on having a German GP? #-o :wtf:
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

6 of 12

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:52
But it won't. They'll definitely go to Asia aka Arabia when they race in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain towards the end of the season and AFAIK Malaysia, China and Vietnam have not given up on hosting a GP yet
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

MtthsMlw

6 of 12 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 11:26
Am I missing something or why is the GP on the Nürburgring called Eifel GP and not German GP? Would that not only make sense if you are planning on having a German GP? #-o :wtf:
I think Hockenheim holds the rights for the German GP

Mogster

Watching the SRO GT race from Imola on Sky. The pit lane looks very tight... Circuit looks beautiful though.

Overtaking happening on the downhill from the Alta chicane to Rivaza 1 and into the Tamburello chicane off the main straight. Run from Rivaza 2 to Tamburello is a long drag.

Just_a_fan

Did they use the Variante Bassa (the chicane on the main straight). If they use that with F1, there probably won't be any overtaking. If they avoid it and have a "straight" from Rivazza to the Variante del Tamburello then there is a decent chance of an overtake opportunity although V del Tamburello is a fair open chicane.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mogster

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:09
Did they use the Variante Bassa (the chicane on the main straight). If they use that with F1, there probably won't be any overtaking. If they avoid it and have a "straight" from Rivazza to the Variante del Tamburello then there is a decent chance of an overtake opportunity although V del Tamburello is a fair open chicane.
No they aren’t using the Bassa chicane. Hopefully F1 won’t use it. John Watson has commented how much better the circuit is without it. The Tamburello and Villeneuve chicanes are so open they are more like esses. Without the Bassa chicane the track seems very fast and flowing like it used to. Accidents are a problem though, anyone goes off it’s a safety car as they’re in a wall or gravel.

Manoah2u

6 of 12 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 11:28
Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:52
But it won't. They'll definitely go to Asia aka Arabia when they race in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain towards the end of the season and AFAIK Malaysia, China and Vietnam have not given up on hosting a GP yet
I think that remains very much to be seen.
Looking at how the virus is starting to get worse again in a variety of places, it's a matter of time before things are going to get 'locked down' again, is my thought on the matter.
To think China is going to get a race is laughable at this point, and I really doubt Vietnam is interested in having it's first GP in these conditions without spectators, even if the idea is that later on spectators will be allowed.

With all the GP's in Europe, there is the ability to travel without the need for flight, and as such, less risk of 'contagion'.
The entire American continent has cancelled the events, and i see no reason as to why Asia would be any different.

As for why it's laughable that China would host a GP is clearly due to the fact they're still seen as the 'big bad' origin in this all, and their stats cannot be true - America has more infections than China itself, there's simply no way. Hell they claim 'only' 4600 deaths, less than the tiny country of the Netherlands that has over 6100 deaths, yet having over 3 times the ENTIRE dutch population in the Hubei province alone.

We all know this, F1 knows this, it's honestly just not gonna happen. Malaysia is a concern still just as much and would be nothing but a 'replacement event', and if we're talking 'replacement events', there are plenty of European outfits available to fill that void without the need to travel lush distances and increase the already persistant risk by any ways whatsoever.

There is simply no way that there will be ANY GP in asia for this season.

Looking at the GP's that were confirmed now, i don't believe even Abu Dhabi is going to host a GP this season.

Especially since Imola is taking place in November 1st, with 13 GP's on the calendar, there will have been enough of GP's, teams will want to rest and prepare for 2021, AND november might see concern for the 'annual' flu season, and a vastly higher risk of a return of COVID19 or a COVID20 perhaps. At the VERY BEST, i would argue that it's more probable to see another GP in Spain as the finale, perhaps in Valencia, but i honestly don't even think that's gonna happen.

I'm also pretty sure no F1 team at this point even wants to go outside of Europe right now and i'm sure that they'd boycott or simply refuse to go there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mogster

Spain has seen daily cases triple in the last fortnight and that’s now being followed by an increase in excess deaths (whatever the official daily mortality says) I’m not sure F1 will be going to Barcelona in 3 weeks even. I do think the races in the Middle East will occur, the teams can charter aircraft if necessary and local security shouldn’t be an issue.