COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MtthsMlw

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

I thought that 3 continents thing was already solved?

siskue2005

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 23:15
MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 23:07
ME4ME wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 23:03

Isn't the circuit technically in Asia?
Yes...
I take this line from Wiki as I had to look it up
-
The country of Bahrain is in the Asia continent and the latitude and longitude for the country are 26.0275° N, 50.5500° E.26 Feb 2020

Same for Abu Dhabi, so its anther continent we need. New Zealand seems to be in control, anywhere there?
(could we have it on a US carrier? :shock: )
They were already at Australian continent for race. The race was cancelled by the organizers not the FIA. So technically if they go to Asia for final races, then the 3 continent rule is already completed and they can use the 'World Championship' name

Big Tea

Europe Asia is done, I remember racing in Morocco at a nice track, but don't know if it is good enough for F1, so anywhere else in Africa? I think South Africa is prob out though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

I can see this discussion being a basis for certain people refusing to acknowledge this as an official world championship title if Hamilton as expected goes on to win it, and I’m willing to bet that a post along those lines will appear on here at the end of the season.

‘Well you see it doesn’t count as it was only raced on two continents rather than three, so therefore it’s not valid and he’s still only got six. And while we’re at it we shouldn’t count any wins or pole positions from this year either...’

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio - you'd get such short odds at the bookies. It's a dead cert that the anti-Hamilton brigade will be shouting that for years to come.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

1961 was 7 in Europe 1 in USA and they still count it there are several on only 2 continents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Formula_One_season

3jawchuck

Re: Nurburgring, Autodromo do Algarve, and Imola in 2020

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 16:28
As for why it's laughable that China would host a GP is clearly due to the fact they're still seen as the 'big bad' origin in this all, and their stats cannot be true - America has more infections than China itself, there's simply no way. Hell they claim 'only' 4600 deaths, less than the tiny country of the Netherlands that has over 6100 deaths, yet having over 3 times the ENTIRE dutch population in the Hubei province alone.
The only problem with this assumption is that the Chinese data matched with patterns of spread and behaviour that other nation's data showed much later. How could China fake data for the spread of an unknown virus so well that it could be used to predict how the virus in other nation would behave?

If you want to see fake data, look at India and Russia in particular.

Most of Asia seem to have got their outbreaks under control, even after slacking off their restrictions. The question is, would Asians want Europeans to come and race? Many Asian countries got the thing under control quite quickly, they may be cautious about inviting potential new strains into their country before a vaccine is secured.

The Americas seem to be a fair while away from having it under control, but it is looking promising in all but the US, Brazil and Peru.

Dr. Acula

Big Tea wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 15:56
1961 was 7 in Europe 1 in USA and they still count it there are several on only 2 continents
Yes, but the question is, was Art.2.4.3.b.i of the international sporting code already a thing back then? You can call anything a world championship as long as you don't define it any further. The problem the FIA has now is that they did define it further in the past and the 2020 F1 season does not meet the criteria to be called a world championship at the moment.

El Scorchio

Dr. Acula wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 17:23
Big Tea wrote:
Yes, but the question is, was Art.2.4.3.b.i of the international sporting code already a thing back then? You can call anything a world championship as long as you don't define it any further. The problem the FIA has now is that they did define it further in the past and the 2020 F1 season does not meet the criteria to be called a world championship at the moment.
They’ll change that temporarily if they have to and the record books will count it which is all that matters, but there will still be people Clinging to it and saying it doesn’t count. You can 100% guarantee it.

Big Tea

Dr. Acula wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
There is probably a force majeure clause to let them slip out of it.

foxmulder_ms

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 16:28
6 of 12 wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 11:28
Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 03:52
it's interesting that the entire 2020 season will only take place in Europe.
But it won't. They'll definitely go to Asia aka Arabia when they race in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain towards the end of the season and AFAIK Malaysia, China and Vietnam have not given up on hosting a GP yet
I think that remains very much to be seen.
Looking at how the virus is starting to get worse again in a variety of places, it's a matter of time before things are going to get 'locked down' again, is my thought on the matter.
To think China is going to get a race is laughable at this point, and I really doubt Vietnam is interested in having it's first GP in these conditions without spectators, even if the idea is that later on spectators will be allowed.

With all the GP's in Europe, there is the ability to travel without the need for flight, and as such, less risk of 'contagion'.
The entire American continent has cancelled the events, and i see no reason as to why Asia would be any different.

As for why it's laughable that China would host a GP is clearly due to the fact they're still seen as the 'big bad' origin in this all, and their stats cannot be true - America has more infections than China itself, there's simply no way. Hell they claim 'only' 4600 deaths, less than the tiny country of the Netherlands that has over 6100 deaths, yet having over 3 times the ENTIRE dutch population in the Hubei province alone.

We all know this, F1 knows this, it's honestly just not gonna happen. Malaysia is a concern still just as much and would be nothing but a 'replacement event', and if we're talking 'replacement events', there are plenty of European outfits available to fill that void without the need to travel lush distances and increase the already persistant risk by any ways whatsoever.

There is simply no way that there will be ANY GP in asia for this season.

Looking at the GP's that were confirmed now, i don't believe even Abu Dhabi is going to host a GP this season.

Especially since Imola is taking place in November 1st, with 13 GP's on the calendar, there will have been enough of GP's, teams will want to rest and prepare for 2021, AND november might see concern for the 'annual' flu season, and a vastly higher risk of a return of COVID19 or a COVID20 perhaps. At the VERY BEST, i would argue that it's more probable to see another GP in Spain as the finale, perhaps in Valencia, but i honestly don't even think that's gonna happen.

I'm also pretty sure no F1 team at this point even wants to go outside of Europe right now and i'm sure that they'd boycott or simply refuse to go there.
Like it or not it is true. China kept the disease under control by locking down and entire region. Real lock down, not that wish washy lock downs. On top of that everyone have to wear masks in whole country, on top of that all the public transport closed in whole country, on top of that everyone who got the disease or might have interacted with a positive person was in quarantine for 2 weeks, (now it is actually 4 weeks). They did this for 2 months without any exception, and not surprisingly disease is now very rare and mostly imported.

In contrast, most of the western countries did a big *nothing*. some of the leaders (Trump, Bolsonara were the poster childs of this) even encouraged people *not* to wear mask and keep business open to "protect" stock markets.

What did you expect??!? What is laughable is your blind belief China cannot perform better under this circumstances. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am actually very scared for fall/winter in North/South America. Without a vaccine, it will be a horror story.

El Scorchio

China and some other countries have 100% lied about their infection and death numbers, or just been unable for whatever reason (Possibly healthcare and communication infrastructure etc.) to give anything like accurate numbers, in my opinion. (I stress, only in my opinion. People are welcome to disagree but that’s the way I perceive it.)

There’s no question that China’s initial hesitation to acknowledge or communicate the disease has lead to it spreading much further across the globe than it could have done.

Manoah2u

foxmulder_ms wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 17:59

Like it or not it is true.
ehm no, it's not. there were actual doctors, nurses, many medical personell clearly stating why the numbers aren't true and all have 'disappeared'
China kept the disease under control by locking down and entire region. Real lock down, not that wish washy lock downs. On top of that everyone have to wear masks in whole country, on top of that all the public transport closed in whole country, on top of that everyone who got the disease or might have interacted with a positive person was in quarantine for 2 weeks, (now it is actually 4 weeks). They did this for 2 months without any exception, and not surprisingly disease is now very rare and mostly imported.
no, actually no. even during the supposed region lockdowns, many were still travelling to many european countries, there have been multiple examples of 'travelers' covering their symptoms through ingenious means so they could pass tests despite carrying the disease and as such spreading to the world.
there's also proof the disease was out far earlier than any 'official' reports mention which means numbers are far higher
In contrast, most of the western countries did a big *nothing*. some of the leaders (Trump, Bolsonara were the poster childs of this) even encouraged people *not* to wear mask and keep business open to "protect" stock markets.
you mention two of the biggest political tools in the shed.
you fail to mention for example how Spain did a huge lockdown and came down hard on it.

Compare the deaths in spain, 28.000 plus deaths, vs 4000 in china, where the ENTIRE COUNTRY has LESS inhabitants than JUST the hubei province, where the virus originated and medical facilities had to be built 'overnight', then it's absolutely clear that the total numbers are 100% false.
What is laughable is your blind belief China cannot perform better under this circumstances. :roll: :roll: :roll:
you're clearly the blind one here, better roll your eyes to yourself bud.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

I think,,,They will count it but with an asterisk.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

e30ernest

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 17:28
Dr. Acula wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
They’ll change that temporarily if they have to and the record books will count it which is all that matters, but there will still be people Clinging to it and saying it doesn’t count. You can 100% guarantee it.
I'm afraid you are right, no matter how silly the idea may be. Given how dominant he is predicted to be this year, 1 more race in another continent would probably be of no consequence. :mrgreen: