2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mchamilton

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:55
wesley123 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:03
foxmulder_ms wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:46
Albon's crush with Magnussen was very similar to the one he had with Lewis but this time he was the one inside. I think 5 sec was very harsh. Like it was harsh for Lewis. In both cases I blame the outside driver more.
Albon literally had nowhere to go and afaik even lifted to try and prevent a collision. It was 100% Magnussen's fault, and it was another incompetent decision of the stewards.
I actually don't think you can attribute any blame to Magnussen in this instance. For sure there are many other occasions you can, but not this.
From his POV he has a moment the corner before, but is ahead and turns into the next corner. It's not up to him to jump out of the way and wave Albon through. IMO Albon goes for a gap that just isn't there and at no point is he even alongside, let alone ahead. I think he tries to lift off after he's realised, but by then it's too late. I think he lacks a bit of patience and situational awareness and that move reeked of desperation. He's chasing a Haas in the first few laps of the race. He doesn't need to rush it. He'll obviously get past very shortly one way or another in his vastly superior car. I don't think he meant to cause a collision at all, but a big lack of judgement has cost two drivers their race.
At no point is he along side? Did you even watch the race?

holeindalip

Has Albon been involved in incidents every race this year?

Mchamilton

Mchamilton wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:02
El Scorchio wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Albon literally had nowhere to go and afaik even lifted to try and prevent a collision. It was 100% Magnussen's fault, and it was another incompetent decision of the stewards.
I actually don't think you can attribute any blame to Magnussen in this instance. For sure there are many other occasions you can, but not this.
From his POV he has a moment the corner before, but is ahead and turns into the next corner. It's not up to him to jump out of the way and wave Albon through. IMO Albon goes for a gap that just isn't there and at no point is he even alongside, let alone ahead. I think he tries to lift off after he's realised, but by then it's too late. I think he lacks a bit of patience and situational awareness and that move reeked of desperation. He's chasing a Haas in the first few laps of the race. He doesn't need to rush it. He'll obviously get past very shortly one way or another in his vastly superior car. I don't think he meant to cause a collision at all, but a big lack of judgement has cost two drivers their race.
nOt aLOnG sIdE

Alexf1

If he would have kept his foot down he would have been wheel to wheel at the apex and could have done a 2019 Austrian Ver-Lec to him.

i70q7m7ghw

Albon-Magnussen was a racing incident IMO, but I would blame Albon for generally being a bit stupid. There was no need to take such a risk so early on in the GP against a much slower car, he would have got him with ease in the following laps with the help of DRS. Given Magnussen's reputation, there was no reason to expect Magnussen to leave a gap.

Schuttelberg

I'm going to just say, I'm really happy with today.

2016 was difficult to take, specially Malaysia. However, I always believed that Rosberg was somewhere between a great and good driver. It's hard to still believe he won a title but the current line up of Mercedes makes it seem like a dream. I'm glad Bottas has a points deficit now and Hamilton has a 'bad luck buffer.' It's very obvious that Mercedes will finish 1-2 in most races unless something goes wrong and Bottas could've lucked into a title with Hamilton having a couple of DNF's.
Bottas in my book would make the worst world champion of all time and I like Hamilton, less than Schumacher but still like him and feel he deserves his success.

As for the race, it was as expected barring the final lap.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

zeph

Diesel wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:20
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:20
That’s true. But I also remember penalties handed out for not stopping the car and continuing to drive in an unsafe manner
Got an example?
I guess I meant something like this:

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/931286/1/ ... -condition

But I guess driving with a shredded tire isn’t quite the same thing
Last edited by zeph on 02 Aug 2020, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

zeph

cooken wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:22
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:13
Normally, he would have had to pull over and stop the car. Like I said, people have been penalized for less
We're all waiting for you to bring forth specific examples, go ahead. I won't hold my breath.
what’s with the attitude? Do I know you?

El Scorchio

Mchamilton wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:02
El Scorchio wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

Just to clarify, I meant 'alongside' as wheels level, which obviously he wasn't as you can see from that screen shot, but I will concede I worded that statement badly. What I mean is Magnussen was always ahead throughout the whole incident.

'at no point is he even LEVEL, let alone ahead'.
There you go.

i70q7m7ghw

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:31

That's a good example, but as you suggest I think it's quite different from today. In that instance, Le Clerc had been instructed to pit and ignored the instruction, which meant he continued dropping some fairly large parts of the car which struck another car. Today, Hamilton didn't have the option to pit, as it was the final lap.

zeph

Diesel wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:41
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:31

That's a good example, but as you suggest I think it's quite different from today. In that instance, Le Clerc had been instructed to pit and ignored the instruction, which meant he continued dropping some fairly large parts of the car which struck another car. Today, Hamilton didn't have the option to pit, as it was the final lap.
What threw me off was the sparks coming from Hamilton’s car, which suggested to me he might be dropping debris on the track, that would have been dangerous. But I guess no harm was done.

JordanMugen

wesley123 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 17:15
1. Floor rules change in 2021 to cut downforce so the tires can manage the loads, this already implies them being close to the limit
Pirelli made redesigned stronger tyres for 2020 but the teams didn't want them. :wink:

JordanMugen

GPR-A wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:04
Andres125sx wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:59
GPR-A wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:06
If there is one guy who has lost numerous races while leading because of bad luck, it's Lewis. He is the same guy who lost a championship because of bad luck.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was fun

2007 was lost because he couldn´t manage pressure and tried to prove himself on several situations where he didn´t need it. Not trying to blame him, as he was just a rookie and did awesome, probably best rookie season in F1 ever, but you can´t seriously ignore that and state he lost it because of bad luck :wink:
You also know the other reason in the team. :wink:
Are you suggesting Alonso is not a top bloke and a fair racer helping his teammate wherever possible? :shock:

cooken

zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:32
cooken wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:22
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 21:13
Normally, he would have had to pull over and stop the car. Like I said, people have been penalized for less
We're all waiting for you to bring forth specific examples, go ahead. I won't hold my breath.
what’s with the attitude? Do I know you?
It's the internet, doubt anyone knows anyone else really. You said something silly and I just felt like calling you out. Again, internet, don't take it personally. The amount of baseless claims has been rampant of late.

Your Leclerc example is noted and appreciated. However I disagree that he was penalized for less in that instance. As someone else pointed out that was much, much worse.

NathanOlder

Wynters wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 19:45
Racer X wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 18:32
Hulk Is just as effective as the car being parked waiting for Perez's.
It's a bold strategy, Cotton. And it looks like it paid off! .

:lol: =D>
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC