McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL35

Well, Key admits that there are a lot of risks involved with it, so I am certain they will not proceed with such huge design decisions without being absolutely sure of their success.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. With the Mercedes PU it may be somewhat easier to accomplish because you have Mercedes as a benchmark for yourself, but if they screw it up it will be a waste of money before the new regulations come in.

It would be better if they keep going with what they are comfortable for next year since everyone will start out from scratch on 2022 anyway.

Macklaren

If they are doing this, it will be for 2022 anyway? No way you can fundamentally change your aero concept with only one development token?

Emag

Macklaren wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 18:12
If they are doing this, it will be for 2022 anyway? No way you can fundamentally change your aero concept with only one development token?
Because McLaren is switching to the Mercedes PU, the FIA was forced to "give way" a little with the amount of things teams can change. So I think it is possible, however it's not worth it imo.

As for 2022, it's an entire new design. We will have to wait and see which concept will turn out to be superior.

SmallSoldier

I don’t think they will take that chance, knowing all the hurdles to get it right... Unless, they want to validate the potential of low rake towards 2022, in which case giving away 2021 for a potential head start on 2022 might not be a bad compromise... But I doubt they will throw the season away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

_cerber1

Didn't they start this off-season journey? Andreas Seidl spoke about this last year, and the car is already lower than the MСL34.

billamend

_cerber1 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 18:27
Didn't they start this off-season journey? Andreas Seidl spoke about this last year, and the car is already lower than the MСL34.
Yeah, that's also what confuses me. The car doesn't look particularly high rake. If you put the MCL35 next to the RB16, it almost looks low rake. Am I seeing it wrong?

Xwang

The motorsport article which wonders if the high rake cars re at the end of their journey (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... n=widget-1) says "The longer architecture of the Mercedes power unit led it to take the longer wheelbase and lower rake route". So maybe next year McLaren is somehow obliged to change rake philosophy because the engine will be longer.

the EDGE

Xwang wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 19:03
The motorsport article which wonders if the high rake cars re at the end of their journey (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... n=widget-1) says "The longer architecture of the Mercedes power unit led it to take the longer wheelbase and lower rake route". So maybe next year McLaren is somehow obliged to change rake philosophy because the engine will be longer.
I’m pretty sure both Williams & RP, & even Mclaren have all run the Merc PU with a high rake setup

Emag

the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 19:52
Xwang wrote:
I’m pretty sure both Williams & RP, & even Mclaren have all run the Merc PU with a high rake setup
Yes but when the works team is doing it differently from you, and they are the ones doing all the winning, there's obviously enough initiative there to go towards their design. But as I said previously, it is not worth to risk it for just one year because if it goes wrong they will slip back the order on the constructors in 2021. That means less prize money for 2022 which is the most important year. Starting off in the right foot on the new regulations should be the top priority for the teams.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:03
the EDGE wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 19:52
Xwang wrote:

Yes but when the works team is doing it differently from you, and they are the ones doing all the winning, there's obviously enough initiative there to go towards their design. But as I said previously, it is not worth to risk it for just one year because if it goes wrong they will slip back the order on the constructors in 2021. That means less prize money for 2022 which is the most important year. Starting off in the right foot on the new regulations should be the top priority for the teams.
McLaren's chassis and aero are designed to run at a higher rake. The rules are limiting what they can change. I don't think it's a good idea but It's a moot point anyway.

diffuser

Xwang wrote:
That's a kind of dumb statement, if they consider that the rules will be completely changed very soon. The rear wing is gonna be alot smaller so already you have less to gain from running more rake. Of course if they then remove DRS a few years after that, it might bring rake back.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 23:30
Xwang wrote:
That's a kind of dumb statement, if they consider that the rules will be completely changed very soon. The rear wing is gonna be alot smaller so already you have less to gain from running more rake. Of course if they then remove DRS a few years after that, it might bring rake back.
Diffuser work by creating suction by lowering the pressure of air under the car, sucking the floor to the ground. Running a high rake simply turns the whole floor into a large diffuser. The rear wing has no effect on this process.

The only requirement is to be abele to seal the edges of the floor to stop high pressure air from spilling in And interfering with the process

I would have though a smaller rear wing would mean you would have more to gain by being able to run high rake. Not less

That said, with the aero dynamic rules for 22, I have no idea if there will be a way to seal the floor edges sufficiently

As to question of whether high rake cars have had their day... perhaps the answer simply is that with the floor the size it now is, you can create Suffice to downforce without the need to run a high rake car

diffuser

That is also true and would've been more true if the Rake didn't change. If you look carefully at any of the highrake cars, the have 0 rake in some of the fastest corners and straights @ Silverstone. One of the advantages of the rake is the changing angle of the rear wing that occurs when the car squats.

holeindalip

diffuser wrote:
07 Aug 2020, 15:50
That is also true and would've been more true if the Rake didn't change. If you look carefully at any of the highrake cars, the have 0 rake in some of the fastest corners and straights @ Silverstone. One of the advantages of the rake is the changing angle of the rear wing that occurs when the car squats.

Exactly, at lower speeds the rear wing is higher up in the air creating more downforce at lower speeds....

Macklaren

Any updates to the car at all, this weekend? Are we running a lower downforce config like most others seem to be doing? Seems like tyre wear is extreme for all and low DF could exacerbate that